Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   chopsticks, fried rice, white people (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553829)

Claunchy 11-25-2007 12:57 AM

Re: chopsticks, fried rice, white people

I'm okay with chopsticks, but I like having a fork handy in case I get tired of using them. If the waiter didn't bring me a fork I probably wouldn't ask for one though.

[**]Ping Pang Pong in the Gold Coast is delicious imo.

BDub1 11-25-2007 01:07 AM

Noodles at Bellagio gets my vote

Vyse 11-25-2007 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Spoons are the nuts for fried rice : left hand fork right hand spoon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

edfurlong 11-25-2007 01:12 AM

Because he's a pinko ladyboy lover.

heater 11-25-2007 01:12 AM

My Chinese friends throw a fit when we go to KFC in Shanghai and they don't get a spork for their mashed potatoes.

fartman77 11-25-2007 01:13 AM

i couldn't help but notice your avatar op and if you are super white like the avatar suggests (lol socks and sandals), you're gonna be given a fork 10 times out of 10.

using chopsticks for eating fried rice is fine as long as you scoop a portion and eat from a small bowl. it is common among asians to eat it in a manner in which you bring the bowl to your mouth and shovel the rice with the chopsticks.

eating fried rice from a plate w/ chopsticks would just be impractical; you are not gonna be able lift much food with them. if you are going to eat from a plate, i actually suggest a table spoon. imo forks are only slightly worse than chopsticks in being able to efficiently bring food to your mouth.

but yeah, don't be offended if you are offered forks or treated as a "white" customer. immigrant non-english speaking asians base a lot of their cross-cultural interactions on stereotypes, as they don't know any better.

i hope this helps.

ofdabeat 11-25-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hum... Please die ok?

edfurlong 11-25-2007 01:17 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Sorry, you're probably not a pinko.

BigPoppa 11-25-2007 01:19 AM

I lived in Japan, where I ate everything with either my fingers or chopsticks (even Ramen). I knew I'd gone native when I found myself squatting in my room eating fried pork with chopsticks while watching the Hanchin Tigers on TV.

I then moved to Berlin, which has "China Box" fast food noodle shops everywhere. They would get quite amused by the white guy who asked for chopsticks and used them instead of the plastic fork they usually provided. Also, no one in the Sushi restaurants there can actually speak any Japanese.

Vyse 11-25-2007 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hum... Please die ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALM DOWN