Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   What is the best way to sell a used laptop? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=501720)

splashpot 09-15-2007 01:28 PM

What is the best way to sell a used laptop?

Ok, a few questions.

1. How much can I expect to sell my laptop for? I don't know anyone personally who needs a used laptop, so I'll have to sell online or to a store. It is a Dell Inspiron 6000 bought a little over 2 years ago. Normal wear and tear but everything still works.

Inspiron 6000
Intel Pentium M processor 1.60GHz
1280MB RAM
60GB HD 7200RPM
ATI Mobility Radeon X300 64.0 MB
15.4" 1920x1200 resolution screen
DVD-R/RW drive
Intel Wireless card (forget what model)

2. I did a quick google for "sell laptop" and came up with a few sites that buy laptops. How can I tell if a site is legit? For example one of the first hits from google was www.cashforlaptops.com. They're offereing me $400.

3. Ebay? Craigslist? Are there any better options? How do I find these places?

Paul B. 09-15-2007 05:58 PM

Re: What is the best way to sell a used laptop?

Search the completed auctions on eBay for that model laptop with the same/similar specs. That should give you an idea of what yours is worth, then list it on Craigslist to avoid dealing with shipping, eBay/PayPal fees, possibility of fraud, etc.

McMelchior 09-15-2007 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can I tell if a site is legit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Better Business Bureau: bbb.org.

If you itemize donate your laptop to a non-for-profit and have them write a donation-receipt for $1,000.00.

Or sell 500 $1 tickets to a lottery here on 2+2, winner gets the laptop and pays the shipping.

Honestly, 2 year old laptops are not worth a lot - technologi has improved, prices gone down and there's a substantial risk of failure.

splashpot 09-15-2007 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Honestly, 2 year old laptops are not worth a lot - technologi has improved, prices gone down and there's a substantial risk of failure.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is why I was surprised that site offered me $400. If I actually do decide to sell it, I'd take $400 no problem.

LocustHorde 09-16-2007 03:48 AM

You'll have no problems selling your laptop on craigslist

clubj 09-16-2007 04:21 AM

Selling that laptop for $400 = bad. You can make more money even selling it ebay. That site said my laptop was worth $325 with no problems, yet if you click all the options which basically says its a broken piece of crap which could have been literally dropped off a building, then its worth $225.

Beavis68 09-16-2007 01:17 PM

I have a friend that has been buying P3M laptops on Ebay for around $200 - $300

Keep in mind though that you can get the latest Celeron M processor that I am pretty sure smokes the PentiumM for 650 pretty nicely set up at BestBuy (needs a little RAM is all)

However you have a good amount of RAM and a nice screen.

Witzo 09-17-2007 01:11 PM

Whats the best way to wipe your Laptop before reselling it? I have a crappy Vaio with only a restore Disk so I was apprehensive of doing a complete format and losing drivers, etc.