Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   ATo in BB - simple flop question (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536846)

jskills 11-02-2007 10:47 AM

ATo in BB - simple flop question

A friend and I were discussing this hand today.

Generic scenario - let's assume you've just sat down to a full ring table on Full Tilt.

You have A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB.
UTG+1 limps.
MP3 limps.
Button limps.
You check.

Flop is T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

What do you do and why?

bakku 11-02-2007 10:53 AM

Re: ATo in BB - simple flop question

c/c shouldn't even be an option. just bet

Mr Rick 11-02-2007 11:08 AM

I like c/r in this spot because it is likely Button will bet if everybody checks to him. I want to chase out UTG+1 with his two overcards, if possible. Even better if somebody also has a T.

And if it checks through it is no tragedy because even if a diamond hits the turn, somebody would have bet out their flush draw so you are probably still safe and now you face the field with a big bet. Of course it sucks if a J, Q, or K hits - but it is a relatively small pot anyway...

Munchkin Mayor 11-02-2007 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like c/r in this spot because it is likely Button will bet if everybody checks to him. I want to chase out UTG+1 with his two overcards, if possible. Even better if somebody also has a T.

And if it checks through it is no tragedy because even if a diamond hits the turn, somebody would have bet out their flush draw so you are probably still safe and now you face the field with a big bet. Of course it sucks if a J, Q, or K hits - but it is a relatively small pot anyway...

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this thinking, however, I tend to bet out because I want flush draws and overcards to pay.

I might expect to get raised by someone with a flush draw, and called by someone with overcard draw. I would reraise, believing I still have the best hand. Then make a decision on the turn, which will probably be betting out, depending on my read of the remaining players.

Crusher19 11-02-2007 12:39 PM

bet to 3 bet or check raise take your pick

private joker 11-02-2007 01:14 PM

Are you guys trying to make me cry? Why are people so afraid of betting their damn hands?

Checkraise? Who? It's a limped pot; what makes you think someone's going to take a stab? Just bet for the love of Christ.

Argh. This is so standard.

OK, I'll try to stop being grouchy. Continue discussing the merits of checking TPTK in a limped pot... maybe I will learn something. After all, that's... what... we're... here for.

nineinchal 11-02-2007 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you guys trying to make me cry? Why are people so afraid of betting their damn hands?

Checkraise? Who? It's a limped pot; what makes you think someone's going to take a stab? Just bet for the love of Christ.

Argh. This is so standard.

OK, I'll try to stop being grouchy. Continue discussing the merits of checking TPTK in a limped pot... maybe I will learn something. After all, that's... what... we're... here for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Joker, just lock this thread for the sheer idiocy. Have we really degenerated down to this level of analysis, where there is no option of play other than the obvious?

There should be an exam to be eligible to post in Medium Stakes Limit.

Lock, lock, lock.....

private joker 11-02-2007 01:36 PM

Next Week in Medium Stakes:

"Hey guys, theoretical question here: You're in middle position with QQ, and UTG limps. He is loose and bad, so you decide to just limp. Two more players limp and the blinds check. The flop is QJ4 with two spades. UTG bets. What do you do?"

First response: "I just call."
Next response: "I like this thinking!"

jkamowitz 11-02-2007 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Next Week in Medium Stakes:

"Hey guys, theoretical question here: You're in middle position with QQ, and UTG limps. He is loose and bad, so you decide to just limp. Two more players limp and the blinds check. The flop is QJ4 with two spades. UTG bets. What do you do?"

First response: "I just call."
Next response: "I like this thinking!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Just this morning PJ i was talking with a friend and fellow 2p2er and told him about your LC post "What's going on in MLHE?!"

This one beats that.

My nomination for post of the year.

jskills 11-02-2007 02:09 PM

Hey - this was my contention all along. I thought I was going crazy since the person I was discussing this with is the guy who got me started in poker several years back, and I respect his thought process very much.

But here I needed a sanity to check to make sure I knew I wasn't losing it. The decision is very obvious to me as well.

Look at the poll though, there seem to be a few people who don't agree with us bettors.

I personally cannot imagine why you'd ever risk a flop like this getting checked through. You've easily got the best hand, so bet while you're ahead.