Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Orange box & Team Fortress two beta thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=501101)

evil twin 09-14-2007 03:12 PM

Orange box & Team Fortress two beta thread

We are getting close to the release of Half Life episode two. I am very excited about this and am greatly looking forward to the next installment of the adventure, even if it does work out to be only 8 hours long or something similarly absurd.

One part of the Orange Box is Team Fortress two, something I have been waiting patiently for 10 years now. I used to play the original Quakeworld Team Fortress back in the day and absolutely loved it. I was part of a clan and everything. It's the only time I've got involved to that level, and I am hoping that this latest version will grab me in the same way.

Anyway, if you order the Orange Box ($45 for Half Life 2, episode one, episode two, portal, and TF2) now, you get $5 off retail and more importantly you get to play in the beta of Team Fortress 2 which starts on Monday! Obviously my copy of TF2 is preloaded and waiting to go already.

Who else is excited about this?

Ars Technica story about Orange Box preorders.
TF2 gameplay video 1.
TF2 gameplay video 2.
TF2 gameplay video 3.
TF2 gameplay video 4.

g-bebe 09-14-2007 03:46 PM

Re: Orange box & Team Fortress two beta thread

not to mention if you order orange box, and you already have HL2 and/or episode one, you can "give" them to another person to play, so they're not completely useless to most steam users

Dudd 09-14-2007 03:56 PM

If you're jonesing for some TF action, Fortress Forever, a mod for Half Life 2, just came out a few days ago, I haven't tried it yet because I'd completely forgotten about it until this post.

www.fortress-forever.com

Thanir 09-14-2007 04:05 PM

Holy [censored]!

TFC was one of my favorite games, and I've been waiting on this forever. It took so damn long for this game, most ppl thought it was vaporware, now we just need Duke Nuke 'em 2 to make an appearance.

BTW whats the release date on this, and any idea if the 360 version will be out at the same time as the pc version (my pc wont be able to run it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

evil twin 09-14-2007 05:23 PM

As g-bebe points out if you already have HL2 and episode one you end up getting a couple of codes for the aforementioned games, which you can give away to friends. Fairly obviously, all my gaming friends have already played them. Still, the deal on offer is decent, buying episode two, portal and TF2 individually would run to way more than the orange box.

Fortress forever is also worth keeping an eye on. The main problem I have with it is that it's not Team Fortress 2. They have also left concussion jumping in (that seems to be their one of their main aims), which is a pretty weird thing for a new player to get to grips with. There's a gameplay video here.

The release date for the orange box is 10/10 so we don't have too long to wait now. Of course if you grab the orange box on preorder (via Steam) now you can sign up for the TF2 beta which starts on Monday. I'll be there!

kickpushcoast 09-14-2007 05:38 PM

they took out all grenades and conc jumping [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Thanir 09-14-2007 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they took out all grenades and conc jumping [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the demo man doesnt have any grenades? Hmmm

Concussion jumping meaning rocket jumping? If so I saw a bunch of it in the videos that were linked. I'm assuming you mean something else thought...I guess I should chk your link [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

evil twin 09-14-2007 05:49 PM

Yes it looks like in TF2 there are no concussion grenades or any grenades for classes other than the demoman. The demoman still has his pipebomb grenades though.

This decision offended enough people that the Fortress Forever project got off the ground which was that last video link.

TF2 does have rocket jumping though, that's what you saw in the videos linked to in the first post.

Dudd 09-14-2007 05:57 PM

WTF, no concs and no grenades? Grenades were the most effective weapon for a lot of classes, conc jumping as a medic, the engineers grenade was beastly. I'll wait to see how they rebalance the classes, but TFC without grenades would be a completely different game.

GHAND 09-14-2007 06:00 PM

This pack looks like a sweet deal, so ill be probably be getting it.

I wonder if they will re-create old school maps like 2Fort and Well, damn i played that [censored] alot.

RiverFenix 09-14-2007 06:35 PM

Whee lets nerf down the game completely and make it look really cartoony and hope that the real community wants to buy it. Thanks for the PSA as I havent been paying attention to whats up w/ it lately but I've thought it looks like garbage for months now and I won't be bothering.

MrWookie 09-14-2007 06:43 PM

I haven't played a real computer game other than poker in some time now, but I went ahead and plunked down for this. It looks like a pretty good buy.

Thanir 09-14-2007 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF, no concs and no grenades? Grenades were the most effective weapon for a lot of classes, conc jumping as a medic, the engineers grenade was beastly. I'll wait to see how they rebalance the classes, but TFC without grenades would be a completely different game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ok I remember now. And yeah dumbing down and 'nerfing' the chars is going to give it a different feel.

CrazyEyez 09-15-2007 01:01 AM

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24784.html

goofyballer 09-15-2007 04:19 AM

Am I an awful person if I already own HL2 on PC (but neither of the two episodes) but want to get Orange Box on 360 just because I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] my 50" HDTV that much? Will the PC gamers here forgive me, or am I forever banished to being a console fanboy? I'll still play Civilization, I promise.

evil twin 09-15-2007 07:03 AM

I have to agree that this isn't really going to be the old TF that I used to know and love. The thing is these things are always changing. I played QWTF and it was the nuts. TFC was a great little conversion but failed to capture the feel of the QW version for me, and for most who played the QW version heavily. However those who never played the QW version seemed to love it.

I'm going to give this new version a chance, even if it is a bit different to what we've played before. It might be great, it might be poor. Those gameplay videos in the first post really did get me enthusiastic to play though, whereas the gameplay trailers for Fortress Forever with the scout concussion jumping accross the entire level just made me groan. I mean is that really the sort of crap we want to preserve?

As to playing it on the 360 - heresy! I'm sure it will look great on a 50" HDTV though.

I had preloaded the entire game a couple of days ago, but it seems to be updating again today. Roll on Monday and some fortress action! Lets hope we get some good levels, 2fort, well and rock were my favorites.

20Five 09-15-2007 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I an awful person if I already own HL2 on PC (but neither of the two episodes) but want to get Orange Box on 360 just because I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] my 50" HDTV that much? Will the PC gamers here forgive me, or am I forever banished to being a console fanboy? I'll still play Civilization, I promise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir are forgiven.. Im in the same exact boat as you, sans 50" [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] seriously though, I do little to no gaming on the PC anymore.. the consoles are where its at!

Corpsebean 09-15-2007 08:34 PM

Orange Box on PC for me, but I have a 30" dell so I might be tempted to play it on xbox if my monitor were smaller or my plasma (42") significantly larger.

Personally I really like the consoles now, but I will probably still always play shooters on the PC for controls, especially if they have a significant multiplayer component.

testaaja 09-16-2007 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
So, it's going to suck balls [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I loved TFC.

chuckleslovakian 09-17-2007 12:51 PM

please to be releasing beta today?

evil twin 09-17-2007 01:11 PM

According to this story the beta will not be released until tomorrow. However, the steam forums are suggesting it will come out at 7pm eastern tonight. Let's go go go!

geormiet 09-17-2007 01:50 PM

I am going nuts waiting ... i will be seriously angry if it is TOMORROW!

geormiet 09-17-2007 04:32 PM

i hear a rumor tf2 is playable starting 7PM EST...

Low Key 09-17-2007 05:09 PM

Personally, I'm buying Orange Box for Portals. The replayability of Narbacular Drop has me drooling over this game. That I only own HL2, and not ep. 1, will make it all the more worthwhile.

As for TF2, well, I stopped caring about multiplayer FPSers when CS:S came out. It just killed the fun for me.

TheCroShow 09-18-2007 12:47 AM

glad i haven't bought a single thing from the HL2 series/engine. the Half Life: Source package is a steal for me =D

evil twin 09-18-2007 02:19 AM

Yeah that orange box is amazing value if you haven't got any previous HL2 stuff. It's still great value if you played those games as and when they came out.

Anyway, damn it! Where is our TF2 beta! We've had a steam update but TF2 remains unreleased.

LovedBySgtSaLT 09-18-2007 05:40 AM

OMG

tfc2 is like the best game ever!

Thanir 09-18-2007 06:58 AM

I just preordered this over Steam. I already have HL2, so I will be able to gift the HL2 portion of it to a friend...kind of cool. Also getting $5 off was nice. I went ahead and preordered so I could play the TF2 beta. It's dling now, but it's going to take awhile, so guess I will try it when I wake up.

GHAND 09-18-2007 08:27 AM

Just had some fun with the beta and its great. Love the sounds and the cartoony models really add to that touch of humour. Gameplay and classes seem really balanced aswell.

evil twin 09-18-2007 11:15 AM

I just tried it out on 2fort (of course) as a soldier and it was great fun. Many of the old techniques worked and it was a veritable frag fest. Enemy engineers were trying to build sentries in the middle of our base, and half their team seemed to be spys. This looks like it could be a whole lot of fun.

capone0 09-18-2007 11:22 AM

I CAN'T WAIT. I'M GOING TO WAIT FOR FINAL CUT BUT IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! 2nd most anticipated game for me after SC2.

toss 09-18-2007 11:35 AM

Can I preorder this now and still be able to play the beta?

Autocratic 09-18-2007 12:00 PM

So wait, one cannot purchase TF2 on its own?

evil twin 09-18-2007 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't be 100% certain but I'm pretty sure the answer to this is yes. If you buy the Orange box over steam the various components appear in the steam games list and TF2 just downloaded and updated and it was good to go.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You will be able to buy it on its own once the game is released proper.

toss 09-18-2007 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't be 100% certain but I'm pretty sure the answer to this is yes. If you buy the Orange box over steam the various components appear in the steam games list and TF2 just downloaded and updated and it was good to go.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You will be able to buy it on its own once the game is released proper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there goes another day/week/month without poker.

GHAND 09-18-2007 01:49 PM

This game is so much fun. Went spy and cloaked into an enemy soldier, then i notice the medic on the other team healing me, so i turned around and knifed him in the back lool

TheSalche 09-18-2007 04:04 PM

Hmmm ... so many choices here.

I mean, I could just buy the Orange Box for the 360 and play through episodes 1 and 2, portal and TF2. Then if I have to, I'll buy TF2 for my computer if the multiplayer experience on the 360 isn't so great.

Anybody know if PC users will be able to play against 360 users in TF2?

Thanir 09-18-2007 05:52 PM

I just played a couple hours of TF2 on 2Fort and damn that was fun. Medics seem really kickass, but having no grenades really sucks. Oh and I really suck

I doubt 360 and pc owners will be on the same servers, since mouse users have more control. Plus I would assume pc servers have more customization than the console ones.

Autocratic 09-18-2007 06:07 PM

I can't believe this game was first announced in 1998 or so. I am pumped.

geormiet 09-18-2007 06:23 PM

This game is awesome but i am so bad that it isn't fun because i just get killed right away.

Anyone want to set up a 2p2 game?