Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Is Multi-Tabling A Sign Of A Good Player? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=428271)

Al Mirpuri 06-15-2007 07:08 PM

Is Multi-Tabling A Sign Of A Good Player?

If you come across a player online who is multi-tabling should that alert you to the thought that the player in question is a good player, who is maximizing his expectation or is it some fish to hasty to wait for a hand to finish?

Conspire 06-15-2007 07:58 PM

Re: Is Multi-Tabling A Sign Of A Good Player?

I wouldnt say that they are a good player because many people multitable shortstacked, just hoping to hit a hand and leave(no skill). Generally when i see a multitabler sitting full stacked and always reloading i consider them to be decent and that they know what they are doing. I dont look at people in terms of good until I have played 5k or more hands against them, so that I can determine their style. Generally though most multitablers are regular players that play TAG. Remember I said most, it depends on what stakes u are at, and never consider anyone to be a GOOD player until u have played a sufficient amount of hands against them, no matter if they play 1 or 12 tables.

HokieGreg 06-16-2007 07:32 AM

5k hands to determine if someone is a good player???

allingator 06-16-2007 07:51 AM

Probably taking a little too long to catch on if it takes 5k hands to determine someones style.

I think someone who is multitabling is generally a vague sign that the player has some level of competency. It's not the best of reads though of course. It exudes a level of experience due to the fact that completely new players to online poker don't even really think to play more than one table at a time.

Platonic 06-16-2007 10:27 AM

It is of course possible that a bad player is multi-tabling, but I think it is safe to conclude that a person playing many tables has a higher probability of being a skilled player than some random guy playing one table. Conversely someone playing one table is more likely to be a bad player.

Platonic

Jeff76 06-16-2007 11:47 AM

I don't know about it being the sign of a good player, but it's usually the sign of a TIGHT player. It's near impossible to play a good LAG game profitably and play more than just a few tables.

This means they can be exploited, good or not.

PokerBob 06-16-2007 12:06 PM

No. It's a sign that the player THINKS they are good.

Conspire 06-16-2007 02:33 PM

About the 5k hands, i just checked my PT, I played 62,523 hands last month and most of the regular players at my limit had longed in between 2-3k hands against me, I still stand by atleast 5k hands though to really determine how a player plays. For whatever stake that u are at, if you are a regular player, u should have a good idea of who the good regulars are who the spewy regulars are, and some of the regular weaktight medium/shortstack players, and of course dont forget about the regular 1 tabler fish.

derek luv 06-16-2007 03:53 PM

I multitable and I'm not good.

johnc 06-16-2007 04:50 PM

The a number of multitablers I've ran into seem to fit the weak/tight/rock style. Usually buyin short and nutpeddle & set mine. Their stats fall into the 10/2/0.5 range and I love to steal all day vs these types. They won't raise or bet without a good or monster hand so it's easy to know when you are beat.