Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Software products that you think are really good (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=319348)

Dids 02-23-2007 06:30 PM

Re: Software products that you think are really good

Isura,

I don't, but the last time I needed it, I googled it and I think what I wanted was the was the first hit.

Patrick del Poker Grande 02-23-2007 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bump because I'm still looking for a good software to keep track of 5 or 6 checking/savings accounts, credit cards, and loans. I am willing to pay for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming you've tried and don't like MS Money or Quicken?

mmbt0ne 02-23-2007 07:50 PM

There are 3 different versions of Quicken Personal, so I don't even know which one to start with. Even the most basic one seems to have a bunch of unnecessary stuff though, like ways to pay your bills. I really don't want to link up my bank accounts to other programs.

I have used MS Money in the past and did not like it at all. Unless a lot of people suddenly swear by it, I don't think I would give it another shot.

I just want something simple really. Different accounts. How much in and out. Categorization into any sets I so desire.

I might just do it with some macros in excel if everything else is going to be all bells and whistles.

IWEARGOGGLES 02-24-2007 01:36 AM

Hey guys, I'm wondering if there is some music-related software that can do what some of the following stuff?

-Since I've downloaded a lot, some is mp3, some is m4a, some is 128KBPS, some is 192, etc. Is there anything that I can use to convert between these formats or possibly make it 192KBPS or whatever?

-In iTunes, is there any way I can use a program to search my list of albums for the years they came out and tag them that way? I have over 1,000 albums and this would be a pain to do...

Any other good sound-related programs you guys recommend?

GrandmaStabone 02-25-2007 07:04 AM

MusicIP Playlist maker

Thread in OOT

-G

hedgeyerbets 02-25-2007 12:55 PM

i just want to thank everyone who pointed out launch. taht thing is going to make me like twice as productive at work.

chesspain 02-25-2007 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are 3 different versions of Quicken Personal, so I don't even know which one to start with. Even the most basic one seems to have a bunch of unnecessary stuff though, like ways to pay your bills. I really don't want to link up my bank accounts to other programs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Quicken 2004, and I use it only as a basic checkbook register, albeit for four different accounts--three of which I have since closed but were on earlier versions of Quicken that carried over.

FWIW, even the Geico cavemen could quikly master Quicken's basic checkbook register functions.

TimM 02-25-2007 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Quicken 2004, and I use it only as a basic checkbook register, albeit for four different accounts--three of which I have since closed but were on earlier versions of Quicken that carried over.

FWIW, even the Geico cavemen could quikly master Quicken's basic checkbook register functions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Quicken is very good. I've used it ever since I got my first Windows machine in the early 90's, which came with Quicken preinstalled. I haven't kept a check register in about 15 years.

Just get the most basic version. The online bill paying and account linking stuff is all optional. The only thing I use that for is to import my Interactive Brokers statements. It's good at tax time because I can just print a report with all my trades, cost bases, and profit and loss in the same format it needs to be on my tax forms.

Rick Nebiolo 02-25-2007 09:12 PM

Syncback SE. Another poster on the tech help forum turned me on to this and it is the nuts for automated data backup. I have a two hard drive system with partitions and SyncBack easily and automatically backs up everything that matters (e.g., My Docs, Firefox profiles) on boot and the big stuff (60 gigs of music to an external drive) once a week. Well worth the $20 or $30 bucks.

MultiMon Taskbar is free and IMO a lot better than the paid multi-monitor support tool mentioned elsewhere.

~ Rick

keikiwai 02-26-2007 09:00 PM

A question and a program:

Adobe Photoshop (I have Elements 3.0) for organizing photos on my hard-drive.

I like how there's a timeline at the top with a histogram of how many photos you take each month, and how you can add descriptions / labels to photos and search etc.

Are there other programs like this? I'm sure there must be better ones. I need something to label, organize, and search... I have about 12K photos and growing and it's a real pain to organize them in the traditional folder method, since I want to do so much cross indexing.