Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Raised on a scare card (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=528003)

HOWMANY 10-21-2007 06:25 PM

Raised on a scare card

40 at Bike, villain is relatively unknown to me but his initials sound familiar from someone Mike L told me some hand about a pot he played with a fish so I'll assume he's bad. Also he's playing poker in Los Angeles at a 40/80 table so that backs up my idea. I've been folding lots but thinking that villain is aware of this might be a mistake.

So limp in hj, I raise black 99, villain calls on button, blinds fold hj calls

Flop 825 two clubs
check, bet, raise, fold, I call

Turn red J
I c/r he calls

River 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I bet he raises

I know Mike L is going to say to fold because I'm beat and that's what I did instantly but I'm at least curious what we think I was beat by.

brick 10-21-2007 06:29 PM

Re: Raised on a scare card

46s double gutter. 8Jo
set that he forgot to 3-bet.

f-that I'd call. he's probably just being stubborn.

MitchL 10-21-2007 06:35 PM

Tough because you have to balance the comsideration that he is an unknown vs the consideration that he should put you on a bigger hand than you actually have. I always let the balance tip towards a call. We dont have enough info to know he isnt a spazz. My guess is that he has a terribly played set.

HOWMANY 10-21-2007 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is that he has a terribly played set.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I decided after I folded, I'm still not sure why I thought that though.

BrainBanana 10-21-2007 06:43 PM

What ever he had I would have seen it because I am a payoff machine to wierd lines from unknown players. CALL!

MitchL 10-21-2007 06:43 PM

Im really just looking at the board and the pf action. He also could've rivered a set. I could see 33 taking this line for sure.

BrainBanana 10-21-2007 06:46 PM

Am I dumb to immediately think 3 bet flop?

HOWMANY 10-21-2007 06:48 PM

3 betting is fine and the standard play here. I felt like playing it like this because I like to put lots of bets in on big bet streets to make the pot extra big for when I get rivered. There are a lot of scare cards that could come and make him check turn (I would bet an A/K turn though) so 3betting sure makes the hand easier to play.

andyfox 10-21-2007 08:07 PM

"his initials sound familiar from someone Mike L told me some hand about a pot he played with a fish"

This syntax sounds familar from something Mike L told me some grammar about a usage he employed with a word.

Meanwhile, no hand makes sense here, but that's why Mike L told you about the guy.

HOWMANY 10-21-2007 10:05 PM

I think I even remember the hand now. It involved Mike having like AA, putting a million bets in 3 ways with someone else on like 3K8r, 1 bet on a blank turn then being donked into on a 3 river by this guy and Mike folding and then being shown the all might 73o. Maybe that isn't the exact hand but I remember some scraggly pile making trips and Mike having a big hand and making a trademark big laydown that is quite different from this trivial laydown.