Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Final table with AK (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=531399)

fsoyars 10-25-2007 08:09 PM

Final table with AK

Final table of Tilt 14.5k, a $75 buy in. Villain hasn't been out of line or anything, fairly standard, he's running 21/12 over about 120 hands.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t1500/t3000
(Ante: t400)
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t145620
CO: t65534
Button: t39039
Hero: t60059
BB: t55748

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t9000</font>, BB calls t6000 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t12500)</font>.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t20000, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t14000</font>, BB calls t14000 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t34000)</font>.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t48000, 2 players)
Hero?

What's our plan here? I have about 37k behind and slightly cover villain.

homanga 10-25-2007 08:26 PM

Re: Final table with AK

C/F I dont think villain is folding.

M1cKmAcK 10-25-2007 09:05 PM

I bet much more pre... maybe even shove?

what type of hands did he show down? Did he defend his blinds often? Was he tight/passive or aggressive/active? Answering these questions should tell you how to play this hand... tough to play now... c/f isn't bad... if you bet turn... you're shoving...

BarryLyndon 10-25-2007 09:56 PM

This is weird, fsoyars. First, if you are raising to 9K with AK, it's kinduv a bad proposition if you get called and you miss. 7.5K is better, I think. Also, what is BB flat calling with here? Maybe you are trying to induce a resteal, which is fine, but you can accomplish that by raising to 7.5K. Am I wrong in my thinking here? You're clearly better than I am.

OK, the flop is a [censored] situation given his calling range. I check. I would rather CR here than lead if I have a read that he's trying to float.

Blah situation. I think I may push as well preflop given I'm in the SB. But, I see your reason for raising less.

hamnegger 10-25-2007 10:44 PM

god can we get him to fold? why is he flat calling? w 30k left? im completely confused. i have no idea what id do but it would prob be the wrong decision.

MJBuddy 10-26-2007 12:23 AM

Raising to 9k is bad.

DUCY?

Mench 10-26-2007 01:37 AM

7.5k preflop, now, shove turn.

DeuceSeven 10-26-2007 01:54 AM

I raise 8k pf. I bet half the pot on the flop. There isn't much you're ahead of on the turn given your read. This could be a monster. Given I'm readless of villain's post flop play, he's usually got a monster here and I check/fold. You're only beating a suited Aces or suited big cards. This is read dependent, I don't know your image or how villain plays post flop.

Rocco 10-26-2007 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
C/F I dont think villain is folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be suprised to see how many actually folds mid pockets here when they are faced with a decision for their stacks. I often call the first bet myself just because I expect a continuation bet.

fsoyars, I'd probably check it down in the heat of action, but looking at this from another perspective, I see no wrong in a shove. With two spades on the flop, don't you think there's a chance Villain would've tried to end the hand quickly if he had like 88/99? It's also possible he called your continuation bet with a flush draw. Yep, I vote for a push!

Pokerfarian 10-26-2007 08:08 AM

Tough spot. Don't really see what villian should've played this way -- he should shove all PPs preflop &amp; he should shove the flush draw on flop. If he wants to make a random play with air shoving flop &gt; floating. He seems tight enough that there aren't many 2s or 3s in his preflop range. He should probably shove TP on the flop for protection. Maybe A7/K7? more likely one of the hands I've mentioned which I don't like the way he's played it but he did play it that way. I guess I c/f turn but I hate the spot so...
I check the flop. It's by no means "definitely best" &amp; has some serious disadvantages, but a bet never folds better hands &amp; never folds worse hands &amp; information/protection aren't really enough to justify the bet. What to do if he bets depends on what size the bet is/any reads on him.
Preflop is okay. Reads can make me like L/RRAI, raise to 7.5K {I know this is very popular here but in general I think it's mostly too low, BB has to invest 4.5K to play a 17K pot with position}, raise to 9K {which if I was BB would be the size most likely to induce a resteal, which obv we're snapcalling} or even 11K {blinds are effectively 2.5/4K &amp; we're OOP postflop, call+8more is okay}, or well anything.