Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   wii selling for $400+ again on ebay (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=556099)

Shoe 11-28-2007 01:09 AM

wii selling for $400+ again on ebay

I thought about buying them up over the summer to sell around Christmas but unfortunately I forgot.

If anyone else is interested in ebaying them this season (or if anyone that doesn't have one is still looking), I'd be interested in another thread where we can talk about which chains are expecting shipments on which dates.

TheSalche 11-28-2007 03:01 AM

Re: wii selling for $400+ again on ebay

After seeing what was going on last year, and now that the prices are up again. I'm down for keeping this thread alive.

KLJ 11-28-2007 05:22 AM

it looks like buying wiiplay is causing these things to sell for 80+ more.

advertise as wii +14 games, etc

i just randomly saw a wii in my best buy, so i'm paying someone to ebay it for me

Dire 11-28-2007 06:04 AM

Can't figure out what's more sick.

That these things are selling like this.

Or that the people buying them up like this have no idea what they're buying.

choccypie 11-28-2007 08:22 AM

Blame Nintendo for not producing enough Wiis tbh...

sixfour 11-28-2007 09:25 AM

Tempted to buy Galaxy over the weekend, play my way through it quickly (and finish up Corruption as well), and then sell the console, buying a new one when we finally get Brawl. Depends if there's a huge amount of profit to be had.

Nicholasp27 11-28-2007 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they are producing 1.8mil/month at this point

they are producing and selling faster than any console in history

most of u guys + devs + analysts woulda never dreamed wii would sell 18-20mil in it's first 13.5 months...

they are producing plenty...to produce more means a lot more costs which may not be recouped if the demand doesn't stay up for several years...and u also run the risk of the quality decreasing when u try to ramp up production too quickly

they will have produced 22 million+ wiis in 16 months...u can't blame Nintendo for producing too few...blame them for creating a machine that has such high demand

4 High 11-28-2007 10:16 AM

How many PS2's were sold worldwide at the 16 Month point?

Nicholasp27 11-28-2007 10:20 AM

it shipped (not sold) 26 mil in 23 months

4 High 11-28-2007 11:42 AM

So the PS2 sold 94 Million consoles in the last 5 years? That doesn't seem right.

Nicholasp27 11-28-2007 01:17 PM

shipments (not sales):

mar 2000 - 0
may 2002 - 30mil (25 months)
jan 2003 - 50mil (2 years, 9 months)
jan 2004 - 70mil (3 years, 9 months)
dec 2005 - 100mil (5 years, 9 months)
oct 2007 - 120 mil

so 70-75 mil in last 5 years

Dire 11-28-2007 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the PS2 sold 94 Million consoles in the last 5 years? That doesn't seem right.

[/ QUOTE ]

The vast vast vast majority of a console's overall sales come when it drops to <= $200. This is an odd generation because the Wii basically started there. Things will get really odd about the time the 360 and PS3 hit $199.

wonderwes 11-28-2007 04:17 PM

I would imagine the sales would be even higher if they would allow the Wii to play DVDs without having to get a mod chip.

dibbs 11-28-2007 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A good friend of mine is senior LP at a Best Buy, they have 60+ Wii's sitting in the back, Nintendo isn't letting them put any more out til December 2nd. They're producing enough I would imagine they're just keeping the demand hot.

SBR 11-28-2007 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A good friend of mine is senior LP at a Best Buy, they have 60+ Wii's sitting in the back, Nintendo isn't letting them put any more out til December 2nd. They're producing enough I would imagine they're just keeping the demand hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a complete lie. Nintendo doesn't regulate street dates after initial launch. Either best buy is saving them or your friend is jerking you around.

Low Key 11-28-2007 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea what they're buying. Whatchoo talkin' 'bout? Are you implying that people who pay four hundred bucks on eBay think they've just bought a weirdly named doughnut?

Thythe 11-28-2007 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea what they're buying. Whatchoo talkin' 'bout? Are you implying that people who pay four hundred bucks on eBay think they've just bought a weirdly named doughnut?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means the people buying them up in stores to sell on Ebay. They just know it sells for more than retail but nothing else.

justin 11-28-2007 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone else is interested in ebaying them this season (or if anyone that doesn't have one is still looking), I'd be interested in another thread where we can talk about which chains are expecting shipments on which dates.

[/ QUOTE ]

google slickdeals. People make posts there whenever wii's becomes available online or in B&M stores.

Valsuvious 11-28-2007 10:47 PM

Trying to get myself two of them this christmas for relatives.

On that note about people wanting to buy them, my parents already got one for my sister (and my parents hate playing video games, but love playing the wii with her). My aunt wants one and we spent most of the day after thanksgiving playing it with the entire 15 person family, not to mention my grandmother was watching us. I took it to my fiances and we had half of the house watching me playing guitar hero and playign other games themselves.

I think its safe to say yeah, it's fun and the whole family can enjoy it and I think that's why its so hard to find. I went to at least 15 places around thanksgiving and couldn't find it, but be sure when I do I'll get enough to try to unload a few of them on ebay.

TheSalche 11-28-2007 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
most of u guys + devs + analysts woulda never dreamed wii would sell 18-20mil in it's first 13.5 months...

[/ QUOTE ]

where is this number coming from? by my count wii will sell roughly 17 mil after the holiday season (current + 1.8 mil)

my numbers from vgchartz.com

Emmitt2222 11-29-2007 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

where is this number coming from? by my count wii will sell roughly 17 mil after the holiday season (current + 1.8 mil)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a member there and based on most speculation 17 mil would be on the VERY low side. There is most likely at least some sort of stock and not just what they are currently producing. I am thinking that 18-19 mil is most likely. If they somehow managed to save a ton or didn't want to tell us how much they are producing they may even hit upwards of 20mil.

Around 2 weeks before Christmas, which is usually the high point in sales, the Wii will hit some pretty large extreme prices on eBay. Count on it. Reggie has already said that they will almost certainly not be able to meet demand this Christmas.

In the time from Japan launch, the PS2 sold about 9 mil in its first 13.5 months although it wasn't out in all 3 territories for awhile.

john voight 11-29-2007 06:18 AM

i remember 3 years ago or whenever it came out (in concept) i said "that looks like the most retarded idea ever".

dibbs 11-29-2007 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i remember 3 years ago or whenever it came out (in concept) i said "that looks like the most retarded idea ever".

[/ QUOTE ]

I too thought "Oh God a modern version of the PowerGlove, Robby the Robot or whatever" back then.

It's good to see something different thrive in the industry.

Nicholasp27 11-29-2007 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a complete lie. Nintendo doesn't regulate street dates after initial launch. Either best buy is saving them or your friend is jerking you around.

[/ QUOTE ]

best buy is saving them for sunday so it can go in their ad...most of the big chains do this with wiis since they can't keep them in stock even during the week, so they use them as an advertising vehicle to drive traffic to the store on the weekend

Nicholasp27 11-29-2007 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it all depends on the supply; obv every one shipped will sell

they are making 1.8mil/month since about august 1st, but they haven't been shipping 1.8mil/month since august...so there will likely be much more than 1.8mil available before xmas

Nicholasp27 11-29-2007 10:25 AM

what we know:

they made 7 million by 3/31/07 (sold 5.84 million of those; rest were in pipeline)
they were producing just over 1mil/month at that time
they were up to 1.5mil/month by june
they are currently at 1.8mil/month

let's assume:

they will sell out of 99% of what hits stores by 12/31/07
wiis made after 12/16 likely won't hit stores before 12/31/07

7 mil (06-03/07) + 2 mil (april/may) + 7.5 mil (june-oct) + 1.8 mil (november) + 1 mil (december) = 19.3 mil

that's right in the middle of the 18-20 mil range

they may have ramped up to 1.8 before november, as it was supposed to happen starting in august...but the only confirmation i can find is that they definitely are at 1.8mil in november

the fact that they may have been slightly ahead of the schedule above + the fact that they may be able to get some of the 12/16-12/23 wiis into the stores in asia before 12/31 + the fact that it'd be really good for them to be able to say they hit 20 mil by the end of the year (great for publicity, developer support, etc AND helps silence the critics saying they are purposefully undermanufacturing) = decent shot at them making 20mil, the top end of my range

market demand won't determine the final number, like it will with 360/ps3...supply will, so it's up to nintendo

ematz 11-29-2007 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would imagine the sales would be even higher if they would allow the Wii to play DVDs without having to get a mod chip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this Is it a matter of convenience or something? I mean who honestly doesn't have a DVD player at this point?

Nicholasp27 11-29-2007 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure how u reached that conclusion

every wii shipped = a wii sold

right now it is a supply problem, not a demand problem

once they no longer sell out and nintendo's warehouses start filling up with extra wiis, then you can begin talking about how they could sell more

personally, i don't see how lack of dvd player would be a deal-breaker for 99% of potential buyers

yasher 11-29-2007 11:36 AM

Is ebay the appropriate place to try to sell a Wii? Lately it seems like it's become a haven for scammers, and if I don't want to deal with Paypal, is there another option for receiving payment on Ebay?

I've got a first gen Wii that I bought around launch and I just haven't gotten into, and I'm trying to figure out where to sell it. It's obviously not NIB, so I take a loss there, but whatever. Is craigslist a viable option?

AceLuby 11-29-2007 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is craigslist a viable option?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say yes, but be careful. Some are not new and are trying to sell at the same price. Also the ads are Wii + 15 games, when it's actually Wii sports and such. Just make sure you know what you're getting, but from what I saw you can sometimes snag up a deal on someone who bought it, but the novelty wore off so they're selling it for cheaper. They go fast, so you have to keep checking really frequently so you're first on the seller's list.

rubixxcube 11-29-2007 01:24 PM

for anyone looking for a wii here is a good site to keep an eye on for who has them in stock:
http://wiitracker.com/

Nicholasp27 11-29-2007 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say yes, but be careful. Some are not new and are trying to sell at the same price. Also the ads are Wii + 15 games, when it's actually Wii sports and such. Just make sure you know what you're getting, but from what I saw you can sometimes snag up a deal on someone who bought it, but the novelty wore off so they're selling it for cheaper. They go fast, so you have to keep checking really frequently so you're first on the seller's list.

[/ QUOTE ]

his post is about selling, not buying

Dire 11-29-2007 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means the people buying them up in stores to sell on Ebay. They just know it sells for more than retail but nothing else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually meant the people buying them not for resale. I'd expect a good chunk of the Wii's being bought right now are as gifts. Probably being given by people who have no idea what they're buying/giving - did the people they are buying them for even ask for them, or are people just buying them as a video game system that's ostensibly dirt cheap compared to the other consoles - and must surely be the 'best', given the huge demand? Just kind of odd to consider.

AceLuby 11-29-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

his post is about selling, not buying

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case I would say that it is definitely a viable option. No shipping, cash only, I'm sure you'll sell it and have someone pick it up the same day.

SBR 11-29-2007 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

best buy is saving them for sunday so it can go in their ad...most of the big chains do this with wiis since they can't keep them in stock even during the week, so they use them as an advertising vehicle to drive traffic to the store on the weekend

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats completely true but they do this independent from Nintendo.

Nicholasp27 11-29-2007 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats completely true but they do this independent from Nintendo.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly; i was saying that the stores are doing it vs his friend jerking him around

Nicholasp27 11-29-2007 09:14 PM

since i've been doing the research and thinking about the console sales, i'll go ahead and make my predictions:

wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07
wii will sell 45mil by 12/31/08
wii will sell 75mil by 12/31/09
wii will sell 105mil by 12/31/10
wii will outsell ps2 before it's 5th year anniversary (11/17/11)

4 High 11-29-2007 10:56 PM

Are you factoring in how well PS2 still sells?

Nicholasp27 11-30-2007 08:31 AM

yeah; i think ps2 will end up around 135-140mil when it's done, with maybe 90mil unique buyers (rest of sales are 2nd/3rd/4th/etc after 1st broke)

4 High 11-30-2007 10:15 AM

Are you seriously trying to claim the PS2 has a 35% failure rate?