Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Player didn't call the last bet but tabled his boat (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=556916)

jesse8888 11-29-2007 12:43 AM

Player didn\'t call the last bet but tabled his boat

Live 6/12 game. Lots of betting, and on the river player 1 bets out and player 2 raises. The action is headsup. Player 2 said very clearly (at least I heard it) "raizit" in his russian accent. Player 1 tables his hand without calling the bet. Player 2 says "send it" and opens his straight. Player 1 has a boat. The dealer reads both hands, and pushes the pot to player 1, after destroying the board and both hands (putting them back in the much/stub pile).

Floor is called over and the ruling is upheld. Is this correct?

RR 11-29-2007 12:52 AM

Re: Player didn\'t call the last bet but tabled his boat

[ QUOTE ]
Live 6/12 game. Lots of betting, and on the river player 1 bets out and player 2 raises. The action is headsup. Player 2 said very clearly (at least I heard it) "raizit" in his russian accent. Player 1 tables his hand without calling the bet. Player 2 says "send it" and opens his straight. Player 1 has a boat. The dealer reads both hands, and pushes the pot to player 1, after destroying the board and both hands (putting them back in the much/stub pile).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Player 1 needs to call the final bet, but he is welcome to do so right now if he would like.

Mr Rick 11-29-2007 12:53 AM

Maybe not technically - but in the spirit of the best interest of the game it is.

I have seen this happen - and the dealer asked the player opening his hand whether he was calling or folding. The player then realized he had to push a bet out and did so (in my case without having seen the other hand).

In this case the dealer assumed it was a call. And the Floor backed him up. Worst hand failed to win on a technicality.

Milo 11-29-2007 01:29 AM

Opening your hand heads up in a cash game is generally not a fold. The player is typically given the opportunity to act, even after opening his hand.

zunni74 11-30-2007 11:11 AM

Couldn't you even turn your cards face-up in front of you and play the entire hand that way? (not sure why you'd want to) Turning your cards over does not fold your hand.

andyfox 11-30-2007 11:57 AM

I think he should raise.

SNOWBALL 11-30-2007 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't you even turn your cards face-up in front of you and play the entire hand that way? (not sure why you'd want to) Turning your cards over does not fold your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo

as long as it's HU, you can do whatever you want. If you are routinely exposing cards multiway, then other players can rightfully object

capngoldfish 11-30-2007 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem I see here is that the dealer should have asked player 1 if he calls the bet before awarding him the pot. It has already been pointed out that exposing your hand in a live game does not kill the hand, but a call must still be made either verbally or by putting the chips in the pot. The dealer made a mistake by assuming that it was a call and awarding the pot without making the player complete the action.

psandman 11-30-2007 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Player 1 needs to call the final bet, but he is welcome to do so right now if he would like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is possible that he said call in a low voice which the dealer heard, but OP didn't.

Rottersod 11-30-2007 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem I see here is that the dealer should have asked player 1 if he calls the bet before awarding him the pot. It has already been pointed out that exposing your hand in a live game does not kill the hand, but a call must still be made either verbally or by putting the chips in the pot. The dealer made a mistake by assuming that it was a call and awarding the pot without making the player complete the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a limit game. It's such an obvious call that there is no need for the dealer to ask. If it was NL that would be different.

iron81 11-30-2007 02:24 PM

Well, given that it's small stakes, Player 1 could raise. There is a non-zero chance player 2 will call despite seeing Player 1's hand.

QuadsOverQuads 11-30-2007 05:19 PM

<*bangs head on the table*>

Easy way to avoid disputes in this situation:

"Sir, he's raised you. Are you mucking?"

q/q

raisebot 12-01-2007 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

<*bangs head on the table*>

Easy way to avoid disputes in this situation:

"Sir, he's raised you. Are you mucking?"

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

easier way to avoid this-
player 1 protects his hand

Ray Zee 12-01-2007 11:25 AM

the only way player two could get the pot was to hold his hand closed until the first players cards dissapeard then he had the last hand and his bet was uncalled.

other wise this stuff happens all the time and the first player is entitled to the pot.