Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Entertainment Betting (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Hot Dog Eating Contest (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=421476)

4Tay 06-06-2007 03:06 PM

Hot Dog Eating Contest

Pinny:

Nathan's Famous 4th of July Hot Dog Eating Contest: Propositions (Kobayashi and Chestnut must eat)

Tue 7/3 Will Takeru Kobayashi win?
101 Yes -101
102 No -115

Tue 7/3 How many hot dogs will the winner eat?
103 Over 57 hot dogs -132
104 Under 57 hot dogs +116

Opinions?

Shrug 06-06-2007 07:57 PM

Re: Hot Dog Eating Contest

Interesting prop bets.
I wonder how the heat will affect Chestnut's performance, seeing as he recently broke Kobayashi's record.

GrannyMae 06-06-2007 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

mortal lock, and not a bad price imo

JasonK 06-07-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you a little concerned that Chestnut beat Koba's record by like 6 dogs?

GrannyMae 06-07-2007 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you a little concerned that Chestnut beat Koba's record by like 6 dogs?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

this is nathan's 4th of july thing. this be the superbowl. Kobayashi will have a stomach surgically added if he needs it.

seriously, the kid is dethroned if he loses the nathan's contest. he will rise to the occasion because he knows he will be instantly obscure with a loss.

4Tay 06-09-2007 11:44 AM

I feel like a degenerate betting this stuff.

I betted Kobayashi to win at -102.

In an interview, he said he has a goal of 60 hot dogs. Chestnut was able to get 59 without the pressure of Kobayashi in the competition. I doubt Chestnut can repeat that kind of performance in one months time.

I'll pass on the over, because Kobayashi has never ate more than 57, and I see him merely keeping pace with Chestnut for the win. However, there's no doubt in my mind that the record will be broken again this time.

GrannyMae 06-09-2007 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll pass on the over

[/ QUOTE ]

i would have too.

we know it can be 1-2 dogs over, but we know it can EASILY be a few to 1/2 dozen under. it can be hot out there. the crowds will be huge. i would not play with an over/under bet.

they know how many they have eaten as they go, but the winner will only be concerned with eating one more than the second placer.

KissDeGirl 06-09-2007 06:44 PM

kobayashi will win he always does!
[ QUOTE ]
Pinny:

Nathan's Famous 4th of July Hot Dog Eating Contest: Propositions (Kobayashi and Chestnut must eat)

101 Yes -101
102 No -115

Opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

GrannyMae 06-09-2007 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kobayashi will win he always does!
[ QUOTE ]
Pinny:

101 Yes -101
102 No -115

Opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm still loving Kobayashi in the hip to hip battle. but i am starting to convince myself to put the max on the under.

4Tay 06-11-2007 10:27 PM

There's another thread in the Sports Betting forum with good analysis:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post10752352

4Tay 06-12-2007 11:12 AM

More analysis from the guys at Fezzik's Place:

http://forums.lasvegasadvisor.com/me...hreadid=242374

Everybody seems to be split on the winner and the O/U.

Kevmath 06-13-2007 02:44 PM

there may not be a bet this year, if this article is to be believed.

[ QUOTE ]
He's due to go for his seventh Nathan's crown next month, but his manager Kumi Ozeki suggests that Kobayashi's title defense might be in danger.

"Kobayashi's mother died in March and he's currently taking a sabbatical. He's not even in training," the hot dog eating champion's manager tells Shukan Gendai. "I haven't heard a word from him about whether he's going to take part in the July contest and there's no way that I know to get in touch with him."

[/ QUOTE ]

GrannyMae 06-13-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there may not be a bet this year, if this article is to be believed.

[ QUOTE ]
He's due to go for his seventh Nathan's crown next month, but his manager Kumi Ozeki suggests that Kobayashi's title defense might be in danger.

"Kobayashi's mother died in March and he's currently taking a sabbatical. He's not even in training," the hot dog eating champion's manager tells Shukan Gendai. "I haven't heard a word from him about whether he's going to take part in the July contest and there's no way that I know to get in touch with him."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i smell a ruse. perhaps it is even a ruse for them to get good odds on kobayashi.

hotdog eating, especially the nathan's contest, IS kobayashi. i have said this above, but if he does not participate, he is destined for obscurity.

she died 3 months ago. he will be ready for this contest. they are just attempting to create excitement imo.

brendanb438 06-13-2007 07:45 PM

I don't know Granny. Maybe his mother's dying wish was for him to never stick another weiner in his mouth. Would be hard for him to participate if this is the case. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Brendan

russellmj 06-22-2007 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pinny:

101 Yes -101
102 No -115

Opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

How do I make sense of these #'s. I don't really gamble other than poker so I'm not sure what they mean. I want to bet on this though. Lil help?

GrannyMae 06-22-2007 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pinny:

101 Yes -101
102 No -115

How do I make sense of these #'s. I don't really gamble other than poker so I'm not sure what they mean. I want to bet on this though. Lil help?

[/ QUOTE ]
Opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

direct from the bodog help session.

please let me know if you need further explanation. sorry i got to this late. i did not see the new post.

GL!! what bet(s) do you like btw?

<font color="green"> Moneylines
When you make a moneyline wager, you're betting on the outright winner of the event, without taking the point spread into consideration. There are still favorites and underdogs, but instead of being handicapped or assisted by head starts, the competitors are given odds to win the game or event.

Let's return to the NFL game where the Indianapolis Colts are favorites against the Arizona Cardinals. The odds might look like this:

Colts -150
Cardinals +130

If you bet on the Colts, you'll have to risk $150 to win $100 (or any other variation like $75 to win $50 or $300 to win $200). If you bet on the Cardinals, however, you stand to win $130 for every $100 you wager. If the final score of the game is tied, the wager will be graded "Push" and your money will be refunded.

</font>

Kevmath 06-25-2007 11:52 AM

If this is to believed, he's out because of "jaw arthritis", or it's all an elaborate act.

cefis21 06-25-2007 11:58 AM

Go Chestnut!!

GrannyMae 06-25-2007 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is to believed, he's out because of "jaw arthritis", or it's all an elaborate act.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I want to be the pride of my mother," he said in the blog entry posted Sunday.

he won't be the pride of his mother by being a spectator.

i say it is a ruse

samjjones 06-27-2007 03:10 PM

Even money on Kobayashi is an absolute joke.

I'm expecting a historic performance from him on 7/4.

4Tay 06-27-2007 03:50 PM

With jaw-itis?

samjjones 06-27-2007 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With jaw-itis?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kobayashi is simply performing a brilliant psyche-out job on Chestnut.

When Chestnut sees Koby on the stage 7/4, after thinking for weeks that he has the contest in the bag, he might pee his pants.

samjjones 06-28-2007 11:36 AM

NY Times Article

[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday, Mr. Kobayashi, 29, made known his intention to board a flight to the United States today and compete for the seventh time, swallowing and chewing through almost clenched teeth.

Was the declaration (and the ailment) psychological warfare? Competitive-eating rope-a-dope? Warrior zen with mustard?

Mr. Chestnut, 23, was abashed.

In a telephone interview yesterday from San Jose, Calif., where he is a civil engineering undergraduate at San Jose State University, Mr. Chestnut, asked about Mr. Kobayashi, replied with a long sigh and several stammers.

“All my friends and family,” he said, “they’re all saying, ‘Don’t pay any attention to it.’ But it doesn’t make sense. Why would anybody say, ‘Oh I’m going to compete, but I’m hurt’?” Mr. Chestnut sighed again and thought out loud: “He’s never gone into it as an underdog.”

[/ QUOTE ]

As suspected, Kobayashi's brilliant psyche job has worked, and he's already won this year's contest.

kaboshedx 07-01-2007 10:24 AM

or, his jaw actually hurts - you really have no idea just like the rest of us.

GrannyMae 07-01-2007 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or, his jaw actually hurts - you really have no idea just like the rest of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

if his jaw REALLY hurt, he would never attempt this. it would be like playing soccer with a broken knee.

kaboshedx 07-01-2007 03:21 PM

There are also those of the opinion that he is too honorable to not compete, apparently a trait that is typical of the Japanese people.

If he prides himself as an ambassador of his honorable people, lieing about an injury would not be something that he would do.

GrannyMae 07-01-2007 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are also those of the opinion that he is too honorable to not compete, apparently a trait that is typical of the Japanese people.

If he prides himself as an ambassador of his honorable people, lieing about an injury would not be something that he would do.

[/ QUOTE ]

someone who embraces the type of belief that you are eluding to would NEVER release to the press that he has jaw-itis. someone like the ninja warrior you are making him out as would be humble, and not make excuses.

GrannyMae 07-03-2007 10:20 PM

anyone know what time/network is broadcasting this? espn?

Shrug 07-03-2007 11:00 PM

I checked ESPN online schedule and they show that they will be boadcasting it live at 11 am (central) with repeats tomorrow night on ESPN2

Here is an article on the "weigh-in"
ESPN

GrannyMae 07-03-2007 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I checked ESPN online schedule and they show that they will be boadcasting it live at 11 am (central) with repeats tomorrow night on ESPN2

Here is an article on the "weigh-in"
ESPN

[/ QUOTE ]

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/fsc/gentleman.gif

Shrug 07-04-2007 01:06 PM

And Joey Brings back the title and a new world record to the U.S. of A.!!!
Woot Woot!!

cefis21 07-04-2007 01:12 PM

Thank you Joey!!!!!

4Tay 07-04-2007 02:10 PM

wow, 66-63

GrannyMae 07-04-2007 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And Joey Brings back the title and a new world record to the U.S. of A.!!!
Woot Woot!!

[/ QUOTE ]

just watched this on my dvr. i really thought kobayashi had caught him, but how did joey chesnut find 3 extra dogs in his count?

glad i could not bet on this. thx bodog for not offering it. i would have lost. i knew kobayashi was fine. great job by both, and i expect kobayashi to try and win it back next year.

GrannyMae 07-04-2007 02:15 PM

oh my. someone just pointed out that bodog has this bet under "other sports". i thought only pinny had it! i would have bet kobayashi AND the under.

phew

brendanb438 07-04-2007 02:31 PM

Yeah Granny. I maxed out my Bodog account on Chestnut at those bad odds. I was kind of scared near the end. Kobayashi was full of shiat with his injury. Total BS. Glad that bastard lost.

-Brendan

centris 07-04-2007 03:27 PM

brendan,

how do you feel about the bush veto bet or the Big Brother hook up bet?

RikaKazak 07-06-2007 07:08 PM

WOOOHOOO!!!!

(late I know)

GrannyMae 07-06-2007 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WOOOHOOO!!!!

(late I know)

[/ QUOTE ]

welcome to EB, RikaKazak !

RikaKazak 07-07-2007 03:11 AM