Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Please teach me the ways of the shortstacker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=508916)

Specialwon 09-25-2007 08:59 AM

Please teach me the ways of the shortstacker

There's been a lot of noise recently about the whole shortstacker thang.

Although I generally play with a full stack, I for one have no stance either way on what seems to me to be an entirely legitimate and possibly profitable approach to the game.

So, I ask you, how do I go about shortstacking effectively? There seem to be several folks out there that are making money and I'd like to know how it's done, if they care to share.

1p0kerboy 09-25-2007 09:23 AM

Re: Please teach me the ways of the shortstacker *DELETED*

Post deleted by Cry Me A River

Sounded Simple 09-25-2007 09:28 AM

Re: Please teach me the ways of the shortstacker

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post12206550

Shhh.... Just dont say it was me that told you.

Ed Millers "Getting Started in Holdem" has a short stack chapter which is considered to be the original source of the strategy.

I have used it sometimes when I need to clear a bonus or top up FPP to get silverstar.

Its profitable but I dont play NL25 for profit I play for fun and to learn, shortstacking doesnt achieve either of these IMO.

Specialwon 09-25-2007 09:44 AM

Actually ratholing is mentioned a lot by the die shortstacker movement. Maybe because I'm non-US and play Ongme mostly, but ratholing is not allowed, ie there's like a 2 hour cool off before you can return with less than you left with and there simply aren't enough tables at any level to keep moving around (except maybe NL25 on a Saturday).

But seriously, is there some way to make money from ss-ing other than uber-multitabling for 1/BB a year or for rakeback?

CalledDownLight 09-25-2007 10:10 AM

No, you can't win 4ptbb/100 or whatever shortstacking if thats what you're asking.

BotOnTilt 09-25-2007 10:20 AM

Thanks for the links. I'm interested in the subject too. I tried SS'ing last weekend as I wanted to try 6-max but without risking any money. The variance seems to be high though.

CalledDownLight 09-25-2007 10:27 AM

If you play 6max and SS you better know wtf you're doing. Its a higher winrate for sure, but only if you're good. I get killed when I SS 6 max. Down 24 BI lifetime.

BotOnTilt 09-25-2007 11:01 AM

Mind you this is NL10 that I'm talking about...

I bought in twice with small amounts. Always got it in good (or with overs against small pair). Funnily both times I doubled up twice and on the third time got sucked out. I think both times villain called with flopped bottom pair and hit trips on river. Got huge amounts of action with my good cards. Didn't really know any strategy, just raised a lot PF - like half stack if 10 or 20BB deep or pushed if there was a raise in front of me. This was NL10 though, and there were a lot of villains who didn't have a clue what they were doing.

Later I bought in for 40BB to see if it makes a difference, someone called AI with AT against my AK pre-flop. Those games sure seem juicy, but I'd hate to switch since I so like this FR forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

diebitter 09-25-2007 11:13 AM

Don't worry, I seriously doubt there'll ever me a dedicated SHORTSTACK forum.

Though having said that, I'm sure all the SS strats I know of are still on the tip of the iceberg in terms of sophistication. After all, SS is a much simpler game than fullstack, and I bet a research team could come up with something that can beat any game for some serious bb/100.

But I could be wrong.

BotOnTilt 09-25-2007 11:43 AM

I mean having to leave for the 6-max forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It was crazy, the tables were deeper than many of the FR-tables and often the average pot was bigger than in FR. Those people seemed to get All-in with almost any holding.

I have no plans on changing my game to strictly SS, but I'm keeping it as an option to bonus whore and to take shots at higher levels to get a feel for the game while keeping my own play as simple as possible.