Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ***yankees official offseason thread***** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=519047)

onlinebeginner 10-09-2007 11:26 AM

***yankees official offseason thread*****

1. Please don't sign Jorge... He's the only catcher ever to improve at this age and i'm sure it's due to some type of steroid that he'll probably stop taking now since he's gonna get his big contract

2. Make sure pettite and MARIANO will resign before you can the manager (even tho I think he's an idiot)

3. Leave room for GIAMBI to play!!

4. Who are the best defensive CF's available

5. Get ready to trade for johan mid-season

LurchySoprano 10-09-2007 11:33 AM

Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

1.) I can understand the argument that Posada probably had a career year and will decline soon, but who out there is better? I think you almost have to sign him to a 3-4 year contract and just hope for the best.

2.) Rivera has already said that he will test the FA market, but I figure he'll be back. Pettitte may want to retire if Torre isn't there, but at the end of the day, I think he'll come back with that $16 million option.

3.) This will probably happen.

4.) Torre Hunter and Andruw Jones are both FA's. As a Braves fan, allow me to suggest that you not overpay for Andruw. He's in a serious decline and Boras claims to want 7 years, $140 million for him. Even if he goes for something like 6 years, $80 million, that contract is going to look very bad in a few years.

5.) I have to think you'd have to give up AT LEAST either Hughes or Joba for Santana. Would the Yankees be willing to do that?

Suigin406 10-09-2007 11:40 AM

weird, i can't seem to imagine rivera playing for another team and figure the yankees will find the money to keep him...

lol, it'd make my day if they signed jones

Needle77 10-09-2007 11:49 AM

If Rivera did sign with another team would he have to change his number? Cause I think seeing Rivera in anything other than 42 would be kinda odd.

4 High 10-09-2007 11:56 AM

Im pretty sure hes one of the few players left who have the exemption with that number.

Kneel B4 Zod 10-09-2007 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, it'd make my day if they signed jones

[/ QUOTE ]

Triumph36 10-09-2007 12:13 PM

1. The Yankees are going to re-sign Posada.

2. Pettitte's unneccessary next year - I'd like to see him back, but the Yankees' rotation will be much different next season.

3. Giambi sucks. I'll be curious what PECOTA projects for him next season but he cannot get in this lineup with that SLG next year. Trade/waive/whatever - he's useless now. Isn't next year his last year on this contract?

4. Melky Cabrera's pretty good. The Yankees aren't signing a center fielder IMO.

5. If they are going to trade for Santana, they should do it in the off-season. They honestly don't need Santana but if they can get him without giving up Hughes or Chamberlain (unlikely), they should - if he's signed longterm first of course.

Suigin406 10-09-2007 12:26 PM

triumph, y don't u think the yankes could use someone like santana?? in fact, they prolly need someone to fill a future hole imo...

i think they stand pat at CF, melky is actually more than servicable imo, but who knows with the yankees

Triumph36 10-09-2007 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
triumph, y don't u think the yankes could use someone like santana?? in fact, they prolly need someone to fill a future hole imo...

i think they stand pat at CF, melky is actually more than servicable imo, but who knows with the yankees

[/ QUOTE ]

because they have hughes and chamberlain, who project to be #1 or #2 starters for the next decade? plus a ton of other starting pitching?

brettbrettr 10-09-2007 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Pettitte's unneccessary next year - I'd like to see him back, but the Yankees' rotation will be much different next season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unnecessary? I really don't see how you don't bring him back.

No way the Yanks can have Johan without giving up Hughes or Joba. Not in the off-season anyway.

CharlieDontSurf 10-09-2007 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Resign Posada and Mo

2. If andy wants to come back then let him, but don't hassle him if he wants to retire.

3. Giambi sucks and takes up DH time that can be used for Damon or Matsui. Trade him even if you have to pay a portion of his last year.

4. Melky Cabrera's not the long term answer in CF.

5. They won't get Santana.

6. Resign Arod but if he opts out and wants 28+ per year...then [censored] him and let him go to west coast

7. Trade Mussina to the NL.

8. When signing fr4ee agents..try to stick to under 30 years old.

9. Just wing it and go with Donnie Baseball as our manager

10. Andy, Kennedy, Hughes, Joba, Wang isn't so bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

nutshot2 10-09-2007 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Please don't sign Jorge... He's the only catcher ever to improve at this age and i'm sure it's due to some type of steroid that he'll probably stop taking now since he's gonna get his big contract

2. Make sure pettite and MARIANO will resign before you can the manager (even tho I think he's an idiot)

3. Leave room for GIAMBI to play!!

4. Who are the best defensive CF's available

5. Get ready to trade for johan mid-season

[/ QUOTE ]

1. dumb. who else do you want to catch? you re-sign both george and molina, and you tell george to purchase a 1st baseman's glove for some occasional 1b duty (much like victor martinez this year)

2. mariano will be back. torre is awful. pettitte will probably retire.

3. no.

4. why? again, no. melky.

5. if it means giving up phil or joba, no. if it's just a rental, absolutely not.

Triumph36 10-09-2007 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unnecessary? I really don't see how you don't bring him back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hughes - Chamberlain - Wang - Kennedy - Mussina.

[ QUOTE ]
No way the Yanks can have Johan without giving up Hughes or Joba. Not in the off-season anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, maybe not. The Twins are not exactly dealing from a position of strength here - Boston's not going to want Santana, and there's only 5 or 6 teams that could legitimately afford him. The Yankees should try to get him but only with the proviso that Hughes and Chamberlain cannot be included.

TMTTR 10-09-2007 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

5. If they are going to trade for Santana, they should do it in the off-season. They honestly don't need Santana but if they can get him without giving up Hughes or Chamberlain (unlikely), they should - if he's signed longterm first of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot have too much solid starting pitching. You never know who is going to be injured or what young phenom will go bust after his first trip through the league. Pettitte and Wang would hopefully be solid anchors for the young staff. I wouldn't overpay for Santana -- but leave the possibility open.

Kneel B4 Zod 10-09-2007 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's putting an awful lot of faith in 3 kids (1 of whom has some injury concern) and 1 old guy who fell apart this year.

I know that the Yankees have put more faith in their youngsters lately, but breaking camp with those 5 is too risky a move for a team with a $160m payroll or whatever.

TMTTR 10-09-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pettitte will probably retire.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know he said he would consider it, but I can't see him doing it. Even if he leaves the Yankees, he has a few more large paychecks in his future. I can see him returning to Houston/Texas to be closer to his family, but retirement would be crazy.

Suigin406 10-09-2007 12:44 PM

^^yea, that's y i thought it was likely they would make a play for santana, who knows, these kids may completely come through on their expectations, but meh

zer0 10-09-2007 12:49 PM

pettitte is going to turn down a 16m option? i can't see it

Matt Williams 10-09-2007 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pettitte will probably retire.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know he said he would consider it, but I can't see him doing it. Even if he leaves the Yankees, he has a few more large paychecks in his future. I can see him returning to Houston/Texas to be closer to his family, but retirement would be crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

When he signed the contract, there was a handshake agreement that if Pettitte didn't play for NY in 2008, he would retire. He said he wouldn't screw NY over by opting out and signing elsewhere.

brettbrettr 10-09-2007 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by Moose you mean Pettite. If Pettite walks, he walks. But if he doesn't we should trade Moose.

brettbrettr 10-09-2007 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't overpay for Santana -- but leave the possibility open.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this. Its fine if the Yankees want to trim payroll. But you don't draw lines in the sand when it comes to Arod or potentially Johan. These are guys the Yankees should overpay for. I mean, christ, its the Yankees.

LurchySoprano 10-09-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That rotation would have talent, but if you start the season with that rotation I'd pick the Yankees for third in the AL East behind Boston and Toronto. Starting three rookies is a recipe for disaster.

brettbrettr 10-09-2007 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That rotation would have talent, but if you start the season with that rotation I'd pick the Yankees for third in the AL East behind Boston and Toronto. Starting three rookies is a recipe for disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how much stock to put into the "having rookies learn how to pitch, stay healthy, play in the MLB or in NY" idea, but if you put any value on that, having Moose be that guy would be horribly horrible and Pettite's the best option.

I think Pettite retires but I hate it.

blunty31 10-09-2007 02:20 PM

1. Trade Hughes for Santana (I think Kennedy's a better pitcher anyway),

2.Melky is gonna be a great centerfielder once he gets a full season at the position under his belt( his numbers were pretty damn good, and defensifvly hes in the top tier already)

3. Resign Posada, and Riviera (theres no better free agents available)

4. 1st Base is a problem but I dont think andrew jones is the solution.

5. Next Years Hopeful Rotation should be Johan, Wang, Pettite, Chamberlain, Kennedy.

James282 10-09-2007 02:26 PM

blunty, leave the baseball analysis to people who have a clue.

James

gehrig 10-09-2007 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by Moose you mean Pettite. If Pettite walks, he walks. But if he doesn't we should trade Moose.

[/ QUOTE ]
i dont see how both these guys arent back

u need more than 5 starters to have a chance

nutshot2 10-09-2007 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2.Melky is gonna be a great centerfielder once he gets a full season at the position under his belt( his numbers were pretty damn good, and defensifvly hes in the top tier already)

5. Next Years Hopeful Rotation should be Johan, Wang, Pettite, Chamberlain, Kennedy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ

brettbrettr 10-09-2007 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i dont see how both these guys arent back

u need more than 5 starters to have a chance

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally fair. I was just making my one-of-the-other preference known.

Suigin406 10-09-2007 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, this is what needs to be done

blunty31 10-09-2007 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

James

[/ QUOTE ]

What part of my analysis do you think is off?

brettbrettr 10-09-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the first part:

THAY3R 10-09-2007 03:04 PM

If the Yankees trade Hughes or Joba for Santana I will stop being a fan.

Kneel B4 Zod 10-09-2007 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Andruw Jones at 1st base...hmmm

blunty31 10-09-2007 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the first part:

[/ QUOTE ]

Johan had a 3.3 ERA (ranked 7th in the league) and 6th in innings pitched and is only 28 years old and is a proven #1 starter. Hughes ERA was in the mid 4's and he is at best unproven, plus the yanks would have joba, kennedy, and wang as young guns. Johan would lock down the #1 starter positon for the next 5 years at least, while we dont even know what were getting with Hughes. Alot of top prospects have turned out to be duds.

nutshot2 10-09-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the first part:

[/ QUOTE ]

Johan had a 3.3 ERA (ranked 7th in the league) and 6th in innings pitched and is only 28 years old and is a proven #1 starter. Hughes ERA was in the mid 4's and he is at best unproven, plus the yanks would have joba, kennedy, and wang as young guns. Johan would lock down the #1 starter positon for the next 5 years at least, while we dont even know what were getting with Hughes. Alot of top prospects have turned out to be duds.

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I thought you were joking. (Hoped you were joking.)

HoyaSaxa123 10-09-2007 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? (Assuming Santana is signed long-term.)

Triumph36 10-09-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's a stupid move. Both guys could turn out to have Santana-like dominance, and for a fraction of the price.

As for Pettitte, I said I could take him or leave him. I suspect he is coming back - he is good for pitching a lot of innings, a quality that's somewhat undervalued.

Needle77 10-09-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Joba is so nasty. Actually I'm curious too.

Edit: I see.

Kneel B4 Zod 10-09-2007 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Johan projects way better for the next 5 years than either of them, and the money for the Yankees is irrelevant. why in the world wouldn't you want Johan for Hughes?

nutshot2 10-09-2007 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Johan projects way better for the next 5 years than either of them, and the money for the Yankees is irrelevant. why in the world wouldn't you want Johan for Hughes?

[/ QUOTE ]

One reason:

Hughes is 21.

Santana is 28.