Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Please stop playing well 30/60 Stud HI Commerce (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=476184)

HOWMANY 08-13-2007 03:34 AM

Please stop playing well 30/60 Stud HI Commerce

Table as a whole is passive with a few loose and a few tight players, none of them any good really. Villain here is different however, he has just come over from a broken 100/200 game and is playing much more loose and much more aggressive than the other 6 players in the game. He's not a maniac or anything, just that he's playing closer to normal good poker. The way he plays would likely just run over the entire table. That's not to say he's a good player, he might be a huge donator in the 1/2 game for all I know, but I am quite certain that he would take home the money in this game unless the game is tougher at other times (it is like 4am) or he has huge tilt problems.

Anyway I think the villain sees me as better than the other 6 players because he keeps looking at me once in a while with the "do you know what's up? you look like you aren't horrible" look that two players who are not retarded often trade across the table. This is likely because I am very rarely limping, almost never open limping and playing tight. I am also about 20+ years younger than everyone at the table.

I have completed and folded to a 2bet a couple of times at this table since he has been here. He has 2bet me with J8Q two flush when I completed (A7)7 earlier. So a 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] brings in, a bunch of ugly cards fold to me with the 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) and I complete. He reraises next with the Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. hearts/7s/Qs are live except the Q in my hand. BI folds and it's on me.

I have to fold here or is there anything I can do to fight him in this hand? There are no open seats for me to move to his left or across the table from him to be out of the path of his isolations, plus the worst player at the table is on my direct right so I sort of like this seat even with him on my left.

cgrohman 08-13-2007 12:39 PM

Re: Please stop playing well 30/60 Stud HI Commerce

I often get myself in trouble in situations like these. I often 3 bet and bet straight through 5th street and hate myself for it.

betgo 08-13-2007 02:37 PM

You've got nothin so fold. If he keeps doing this you can trap him or float him.

SuitedBaby 08-13-2007 06:18 PM

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does floating another player mean? From a search and some common sense I get that it sort of means just calling along perhaps until they show some weakness. Or maybe calling along figuring your ahead with a moderate strength hand, but seeing how things develop and letting your aggressive opponent do the betting as long as they will since you don't really know where you are.

Is the difference between float and trap mostly hand strength, when you spring to action, the drawing aspects, position, or some combination of these. Also would float sort of be the same as the rope-a-dope from NLHE parlance? Lots of semantics I know, but it is a serious question.

Patty

2461Badugi 08-13-2007 06:33 PM

Floating is calling a bet on an early street in order to set up a bluff on a later one.

Rush17 08-13-2007 09:41 PM

I would fold. And since he was sitting right next to you, I would show him my cards so he can see exactly what he was capable of getting me to lay dwon. I'd then say something along the lines of: "Man, you always have a better hand."

I don't want to try and outplay this guy as of yet because I don't know what he's capable of. Yet, a lot of times, players like this are looking to throw people off of their games by taking them out of their comfort zone, so, if you wouldn't normally call a reraise from someone else with this hand, then don't call it from him because he sounds as if he might be a pretty good read of cards/people, or at least better than the rest of the group that was sitting there. Wait for a real hand against him and win or lose, stay aggressive.

But regardless, just make sure that he's not getting to you or you might find yourself looking to be in hands with him because you want to beat him. I've learned to never try to beat a certain player at the table because I usually just wind up playing worse. Your time will come.

Love the "Look like you aren't horrible" look comment, btw. Hysterical, yet so true.

Andy B 08-14-2007 12:34 AM

Given recent history and the general crappiness of your hand, I probably wouldn't try stealing here. I guess I'd fold here and hope I was trapping him into bluffing off some money later.

PokerJans 08-14-2007 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I often get myself in trouble in situations like these. I often 3 bet and bet straight through 5th street and hate myself for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I used to do this all the time when I would play on the internet. Trying to out LAG the LAGTARDs almost never works.

RandomUser 08-14-2007 08:04 AM

Some of these games need to be renamed to 7-card draw.

Poker CPA 08-14-2007 10:28 AM

A super addition to any weak/tight table. He will cap any street, thus making your premium hands more profit. Your seat position is fine, but fire back at him freely. This action makes the "dead" money feel very uneasy, thus making handreading an EZ task. Generally a player moving down in class is just looking for action, so give it to him.