Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   A little coaching goes a long way. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=551685)

Acemanhattan 11-21-2007 06:50 PM

A little coaching goes a long way.

This is a very small sample, however for anyone that remembers how poor my results were in this thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1

I think this clearly illustrates how well we can be served by getting some personal consultation from a player with more knowledge than us. I worked with Fabian for about three weeks, and am really happy with the money i have spent thus far. Yes it is a small sample, but he obviously has had a great influence on my game, and most wonderful of all, he taught me to run above expectation, which is worth far more than i have spent for his coaching!

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9128/novfabag8.jpg

Yes it is a brag, but it is also a call to action. Get coaching!

kaby 11-21-2007 06:53 PM

Re: A little coaching goes a long way.

finally someone else on this forum with >29% WTSD ^^ *high fives*

link to this fabian coach guy? rates? ptbb or bb?

congrats

Acemanhattan 11-21-2007 06:55 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post11956125

not necessarily trying to sell him, as it would limit his availability to me i imagine, but hes good.

and its ptbb

kaby 11-21-2007 06:58 PM

how much hours of coaching?

Fat Nicky 11-21-2007 08:08 PM

solid brag, esp after the previous post you made. keep it up.

Fabian 11-21-2007 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post11956125

not necessarily trying to sell him, as it would limit his availability to me i imagine, but hes good.

and its ptbb

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm always available for you baby [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Please keep selling me!

FWIW Ace has been a great student. Very solid thinker, we've had some good discussions going.

tubasteve 11-21-2007 08:21 PM

why do people hide their stats? its not like we can magically copy your style just from a few numbers.

terp 11-21-2007 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why do people hide their stats? its not like we can magically copy your style just from a few numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have to presume it's so we can't identify their poker playing name.

RUDIKULOUS 11-21-2007 08:29 PM

i could never guess who ace is on stars....ever. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Acemanhattan 11-21-2007 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt do it because i dont want to be copied. I did it because i think most of you regulars are smart enough to look at certain numbers and know how to exploit them. I just dont want to make it any easier for me to play against. Thats all.

loosbastard 11-21-2007 08:40 PM

W$WSF is super sexy.

kaby 11-21-2007 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Double Eagle 11-21-2007 08:48 PM

I thought I felt you playing differently. I definitely made a couple bad laydowns last time we played. Stats look awesome sir.

Acemanhattan 11-21-2007 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm i cant remember to be honest. We did a video session, where he gave me commentary on my play, which I thought was a far greater value than any sweat coaching session that Ive ever had. We also did a handfull of hour AIM chat sessions. So who knows maybe 6 hours total, but the format we used made it seem like much more. Knowing that we would be talking for an hour gave me incentive to really ponder things before actually bringing them up. And i think actually played an important role in my improvment. He seems to really take pride in offering a service of value, so I left every session feeling like a better poker player.

Fabian 11-22-2007 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm i cant remember to be honest. We did a video session, where he gave me commentary on my play, which I thought was a far greater value than any sweat coaching session that Ive ever had. We also did a handfull of hour AIM chat sessions. So who knows maybe 6 hours total, but the format we used made it seem like much more. Knowing that we would be talking for an hour gave me incentive to really ponder things before actually bringing them up. And i think actually played an important role in my improvment. He seems to really take pride in offering a service of value, so I left every session feeling like a better poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to hear you liked the video so much. I think it's way more effective (though also more time consuming) than a sweat session, and it's good to see my students agree.

RockRattler 11-22-2007 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to hear you liked the video so much. I think it's way more effective (though also more time consuming) than a sweat session, and it's good to see my students agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does a video session go something like this:

<ul type="square"> [*] student records video - does he comment his play?[*] session where the video is discussed [/list]
or what is your approach?

FoldEqu1ty 11-22-2007 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt do it because i dont want to be copied. I did it because i think most of you regulars are smart enough to look at certain numbers and know how to exploit them. I just dont want to make it any easier for me to play against. Thats all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well based on your W$WSF% if hit any piece of the board whatsoever I'm never ever folding [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Fabian 11-22-2007 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does a video session go something like this:

<ul type="square"> [*] student records video - does he comment his play?[*] session where the video is discussed [/list]
or what is your approach?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I've been doing so far is this:

* Student records video of him playing, definitely with commentary (I consider the commentary more important than the play itself to be honest, I think looking for general analytical flaws is more important and effective than pointing out specific plays I don't agree with. Of course, they tie into one another nicely too).

* I send back a text file with notes on the video. If the student has questions about stuff I talk about in there, we usually discuss it in one of those chat sessions. Of course, a separate chat session to talk about the video could be set up too if there's a lot to discuss, that's really up to the student to tell me what works best.

There's been a little bit of discussion about it (how video reviews "should" work) in the recent MSNL coaching thread. Some coaches record their own audio over the video after watching it, though I'm unsure that approach is better (takes longer, I personally prefer to write it down rather than talk as I find it easier, etc etc).

Of course, the exact approach is up for discussion, but this is what I've been doing so far.

peyote 11-22-2007 07:58 AM

nice, how much?