Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Paul Byrd bought HGH (Williams/Fainaru-Wada) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=527703)

Jack of Arcades 10-21-2007 10:22 AM

Paul Byrd bought HGH (Williams/Fainaru-Wada)

From the guys that brought you Game of Shadows, a report detailing how Byrd spent $25k on HGH from 2002-2005.

Los Feliz Slim 10-21-2007 10:29 AM

Re: Paul Byrd bought HGH (Williams/Fainaru-Wada)

Meh. By this point I'll be surprised when I hear about athletes that DIDN'T use drugs to get an edge.

Also, I think the writers do themselves and the story a disservice by blatantly timing the release to get as much exposure as possible.

His Boy Elroy 10-21-2007 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh. By this point I'll be surprised when I hear about athletes that DIDN'T use drugs to get an edge.

Also, I think the writers do themselves and the story a disservice by blatantly timing the release to get as much exposure as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Indians had won Game 5 or 6, this story would've been released the morning of Game 4 of the WS. Classy.

But yeah, [censored] Byrd if this is true. That Chris-Benoit-looking MFer is a dirty cheater.

yjbrewer 10-21-2007 10:42 AM

I think steroids should be legal to an extent. For instance Pitchers who have Tommy John surgery or other types of injuries should be allowed to take HGH. Some of these guys who just take steroids to get big they should be punished.

His Boy Elroy 10-21-2007 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think steroids should be legal to an extent. For instance Pitchers who have Tommy John surgery or other types of injuries should be allowed to take HGH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really your opinion?

kyro 10-21-2007 10:44 AM

Game 4 goes to the Red Sox ldo.

yjbrewer 10-21-2007 10:55 AM

Yes some docs prescribe steroids for medical reason. I think doctor prescriptions should be allowed by an MLB approved doctor or othor sports league official.

Toro 10-21-2007 10:59 AM

I don't know what the big deal with HGH is? If a guy can get a cortisone shot why shouldn't he be allowed to use HGH?

gehrig 10-21-2007 11:03 AM

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7358706

lolwitchhuntaments

Iconoclastic 10-21-2007 11:05 AM

I went to the pharmacy in Brooklyn where the HGH bust happened a few days ago. I live within walking distance of it. I didn't want to ask them about it since the owners were rumored to be connected to the mafia. But the place is still open and business as usual like nothing happened.

kidcolin 10-21-2007 11:09 AM

worst headline ever? "Cleveland pitcher spent thousands on human growth hormone". haha.

Tonight's broadcast is going to suck a huge amount of balls more than it normally does.

gehrig 10-21-2007 11:11 AM

the best part of that fox sports story is that byrd apparently already wrote about this in an autobiography but i guess nobody read it because it was a paul byrd autobiography

Xaston 10-21-2007 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the best part of that fox sports story is that byrd apparently already wrote about this in an autobiography but i guess nobody read it because it was a paul byrd autobiography

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

RacersEdge 10-21-2007 11:31 AM

Wow, I remember Byrd was a very religious guy from when he was a Brave - and now even he couldn't resist.

prohornblower 10-21-2007 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think steroids should be legal to an extent. For instance Pitchers who have Tommy John surgery or other types of injuries should be allowed to take HGH. Some of these guys who just take steroids to get big they should be punished.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow this is dumb.

vhawk01 10-21-2007 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what the big deal with HGH is? If a guy can get a cortisone shot why shouldn't he be allowed to use HGH?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Lifting weights causes damage to your muscle fibers. It causes defective function in the short term. This is clearly a medical problem. Why shouldnt they be able to use HGH or steroids or whatever they want to remedy this medical problem? Sure, just rest will heal this muscle damage after time. But thats the same for a lot of medical conditions. Steroids and HGH will shorten this recovery time for this very real medical condition. Why can't they get the medicines they so desperately need?

FlyWf 10-21-2007 01:04 PM

I think in an attempt to make his argument look stupid you sort of accidentally made him look right. No one in the history of the steroid scandal has ever been ever to make a convincing/logical argument for drawing the "bad substances"/"allowed substances" where it gets drawn(the current standard is "Whatever substances the media thinks Barry Bonds took").

[censored] steroids threads.

Also, nobody read Paul Byrd's autobiography because it hasn't been published yet, FWIW.

DesertCat 10-21-2007 01:11 PM

Paul Byrd is just more proof that HGH is not a performance enhancing drug. Shouldn't there be a single valid medical study that shows a drug has significant performance enhancing effects before we worry about athletes using it?

Yawn steroid threads.

Kneel B4 Zod 10-21-2007 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paul Byrd is just more proof that HGH is not a performance enhancing drug.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Toro 10-21-2007 01:51 PM

vhawk, I said nothing about steroids. Steroids have serious negative side effects. Steroids also make people freaky big. Neither is true of HGH.

ajml 10-21-2007 01:54 PM

Byrd is exactly the type of player who is going to take steroids. He is a fringe player who might think he is in danger of being run out of the league. Any extra edge to stick around is a pretty big deal.

THAY3R 10-21-2007 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
vhawk, I said nothing about steroids. Steroids have serious negative side effects. Steroids also make people freaky big. Neither is true of HGH.

[/ QUOTE ]

You believe that HGH doesn't make people bigger?

Jack of Arcades 10-21-2007 01:57 PM

Apparently guys aren't clicking the Fox link. He had a prescription.

Toro 10-21-2007 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

freaky big, you guys have trouble reading

ajml 10-21-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently guys aren't clicking the Fox link. He had a prescription.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly.. from the SF Chronicle article.
"Two of Byrd's prescriptions for growth hormones were not written by a physician, according to a law enforcement source. Instead, the prescriptions were written by a Florida dentist, said the source, who asked not to be quoted by name because he was not authorized to comment. The dentist's license was suspended in 2003 for fraud and incompetence, state records show."

THAY3R 10-21-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You believe that HGH can't make a person freaky big?

vhawk01 10-21-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see why that is relevant to my post. Why doesnt the logic apply to steroids just as well as HGH?

vhawk01 10-21-2007 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think in an attempt to make his argument look stupid you sort of accidentally made him look right. No one in the history of the steroid scandal has ever been ever to make a convincing/logical argument for drawing the "bad substances"/"allowed substances" where it gets drawn(the current standard is "Whatever substances the media thinks Barry Bonds took").

[censored] steroids threads.

Also, nobody read Paul Byrd's autobiography because it hasn't been published yet, FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't trying to make him look stupid at all. I think steroids and HGH should be completely allowed in all sports.

ajml 10-21-2007 02:13 PM

Completely allowed at all levels????? Like starting in high school? middle school?

vhawk01 10-21-2007 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Completely allowed at all levels????? Like starting in high school? middle school?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like starting with adults?

FlyWf 10-21-2007 02:17 PM

My mistake. In that case, you cogently and accurately stated the reasonable position on this issue.

There is a very, very, very solid negative correlation between "knowledge about performance enhancing substances" and "level of outrage at professional athletes allegedly consuming same."

vhawk01 10-21-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My mistake. In that case, you cogently and accurately stated the reasonable position on this issue.

There is a very, very, very solid negative correlation between "knowledge about performance enhancing substances" and "level of outrage at professional athletes allegedly consuming same."

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I am a medical student FWIW.

DesertCat 10-21-2007 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with you people? There is no evidence HGH provides performance enhancing effects, esp. to highly trained athletes. Non-story, non-issue. Can we save our outrage for the day someone actually runs a valid study that shows with some level of statistical certainty that HGH does enhance performance?

It's as dumb as saying that the prime cause of increased MLB home run rates were steroids.

tarheeljks 10-21-2007 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see why that is relevant to my post. Why doesnt the logic apply to steroids just as well as HGH?

[/ QUOTE ]

he's saying that steroids are a different animal b/c they have harmful side effects

Boris 10-21-2007 05:13 PM

Weird gossip about Williams. Kimberly Bell was interviewed last week on local radio station KNBR. Tom Tolbert and Ralph Barbieri did the interview. The only part of the interview I heard was un-remarkable. But I guess Williams was really freaked out about Bell going on that program and was harassing her and begging her not to go on the show. He even made up this big lie that if she did the interview Ralph Barbieri was going to ambush her and let Bonds lawyer rip her pieces on air.

kidcolin 10-21-2007 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You believe that HGH can't make a person freaky big?

[/ QUOTE ]

your boy thremp doesn't

vhawk01 10-21-2007 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he's saying that steroids are a different animal b/c they have harmful side effects

[/ QUOTE ]
HGH certainly has harmful side effects if used improperly. Same as steroids. Steroids are fairly safe if used appropriately. Same as HGH.

If he was saying steroids actually help whereas its still questionable whether HGH does, then he has a point. But both (or neither) of them are dangerous (or safe) if used inappropriately (or appropriately).

THAY3R 10-21-2007 05:17 PM

I was always under the assumption that HGH definitely makes you bigger, sometimes ALOT bigger, but whether or not it increases performance is uncertain.

THAY3R 10-21-2007 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with you people? There is no evidence HGH provides performance enhancing effects, esp. to highly trained athletes. Non-story, non-issue. Can we save our outrage for the day someone actually runs a valid study that shows with some level of statistical certainty that HGH does enhance performance?

It's as dumb as saying that the prime cause of increased MLB home run rates were steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with you?

http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/oese/Straw_Man_Kit.JPG

Kneel B4 Zod 10-21-2007 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was always under the assumption that HGH definitely makes you bigger, sometimes ALOT bigger, but whether or not it increases performance is uncertain.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it makes you bigger, then it's performance enhancing