Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What are the top schools for undergrad recruiting? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=555854)

BDaws 11-27-2007 07:57 PM

What are the top schools for undergrad recruiting?

Fellow 2+2ers,

What are the top 10 schools for undergraduate recruiting for placement in i-banking, consulting, hedge funds, PE, etc.?

I was recently in an argument and wondered what you guys think here at 2p2.

Thanks. My bad, ahnuld, if this is inappropriate for the forum. I guess move to Student Life?

vetiver 11-27-2007 08:13 PM

Re: What are the top schools for undergrad recruiting?

Ivy League?

chisness 11-27-2007 08:13 PM

Probably very similar to top 10 schools as ranked by usnews.

Exceptions are probably school like CalTech students would do more quant jobs and school like NYU gets recruited well cause it's in NY.

ImBetterAtGolf 11-27-2007 08:58 PM

For finance, Harvard, Penn, MIT, Columbia, U. of Chicago. Those 5 would be in the top 10. Eastern schools have an edge because of proximity to NY.

jws43yale 11-28-2007 12:34 AM

Penn (Wharton) and Harvard are considered slightly better than Yale and Stanford for finance jobs, but I know for many recruiters those are the top four. There are also some hedge funds e.g. Bridgewater that only do Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. Some elite boutiques e.g Evercore only want those with undergrad finance degree, so it is Wharton and maybe some others.

Overall, Wharton, Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Columbia are all good for Ivies. Non-ivy it is (no particular order) Stanford, UChicago, MIT UVA Business, UT Business, and NYU.

hoyasaxa 11-28-2007 02:23 AM

dont forget Georgetown! Merrill hires 190987343 hoyas every year. The top employer of Georgetown SFS students is Goldman sachs, followed by jpmorgan, followed by the us government

midas 11-28-2007 01:52 PM

For I Banking you need to include the undergrad business schools of Boston College, Notre Dame and Northwestern.

In the last 10 yrs I-Banks have begun to value undergrad biz schools grads as a better alternative to IVY league students who need to be completely trained.

Also, your school doesn't mean much if your GPA is below 3.3 It's usually the cut off to weed out the massive amounts of resumes received every year.

chisness 11-28-2007 02:07 PM

Northwestern doesn't have an undergrad business school

mak15 11-28-2007 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, your school doesn't mean much if your GPA is below 3.3 It's usually the cut off to weed out the massive amounts of resumes received every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately (for me) this isn't true. it sure doesn't help though and does depend on what you want to do.

ImBetterAtGolf 11-28-2007 02:54 PM

The OP wrote that he was just getting opinions on an argument, so the thread has wandered a bit, but i don't think anyone in school should have the impression that investment banks don't care about grades, especially low grades. They do. School matters, too. Maybe more than it should, but it matters a lot.