Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   TPNK bb defense (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=422003)

H20 06-07-2007 06:41 AM

TPNK bb defense

Just played a few orbits with villain who seems tight.

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4.6SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3.3BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5.3BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero ...

Results:
Final pot: 5.3BB

mvoss 06-07-2007 06:49 AM

Re: TPNK bb defense

Looks like a fairly standard WA/WB.

Oink 06-07-2007 06:51 AM

I think you are missing value big time here.

The board is drawy meaning a) there is more value in a raise and b) he will put you on draws and call down more.

This is a blind steal situation meaning he will give you less credit as you should (correctly) expect him to have a wide range.

I think the flop is a pretty easy c/r as a tight player will often check behind the turn with worse hands that calls down a flop c/r. If you think he 2nd barrels a lot, even on this flop with worse hands you could c/c flop and c/r turn. Against an unknown at AP 5/T I wouldnt do that tho.

BigBadBabar 06-07-2007 07:05 AM

i c/r that flop

RonWR 06-07-2007 09:00 AM

You have to bet out the river , he probably dosnt have an A ,QQ ,77 or 99, and will call with PP because of the flush and straight draws

DespotInExile 06-07-2007 11:59 AM

I would three-bet it preflop against a tight/straightforward player, since it makes it a lot easier to play postflop.

danzasmack 06-07-2007 12:05 PM

you can't win if you're afraid to lose

DespotInExile 06-07-2007 12:09 PM

I'm not sure what this means. Look, this hand could easily be played with the standard call preflop, then play WA/WB once the ace hits with the c/c, c/c, b line. But I think if you're playing a read-dependent game, where you want to create post-flop options with scare cards, etc., 3-betting this preflop against certain opponents seems right. OP didnt give a ton of reads on the villian, so maybe it isnt precisely the right move, but I think that with a hand like A8o in the BB against a button stealer, you should be thinking an awful lot about reads. Against some villains, this could be a bet-fold type of flop, or even a preflop fold.

tiltowhirl 06-07-2007 12:13 PM

FWIW i'd play the same and donk/call river with this kicker. I don't want my opponent to stop betting worse hands although the possible draws on the flop deserve discussion. Do you guys call this ahead/way behind?

DespotInExile 06-07-2007 12:18 PM

the river counterfeits his kicker against A9, AT, AQ, AJ, and AK. if you bet the river, i could find a fold here if i were raised.