Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Hellmuth's insurance ideology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535490)

ConspirEDD 10-31-2007 04:24 PM

Hellmuth\'s insurance ideology

I guess not the best forum, but...

Why does he do this?

Pros:
1. He wants to eleminae his potential loss.
2. His elongated bickering pontentially (and actually) often adds to his camera-time.

Cons:

1. He is losing HUGE EV, this is obviously to anyone (including Phil)
2. To anyone that knows anything about poker OR math, he is dropping $K's into a storm drain

Undecideds (???'s):

1. Sacrificing $10k's of EV is worth minutes of camera time
2. The obvious idiocy of paying 10-15% insurance will make semi-aware gamblers realize that he doesn't know the difference b/w slots & poker.

anuj 10-31-2007 04:28 PM

Re: Hellmuth\'s insurance ideology

I just assume he's some sort of poker-miser and would rather lose EV than cash in hand.

Whatever, he knows what he's doing.

bones 10-31-2007 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Mr_Mxyztplk 10-31-2007 04:33 PM

about as nittty as you can get.

Salmo Trutta 10-31-2007 04:37 PM

I thought it was funny the other night on HSP when Negreanu asked him, "what is there about money that you don't like?", while he was trying to negotiate insurance.

artard 10-31-2007 04:38 PM

He's [censored] rich and doesn't care about losing thousands in EV. Also he's dumb.

JKratzer 10-31-2007 04:38 PM

hellmuth is the fgators of hsp

Piece of Cake 10-31-2007 04:39 PM

It's all about tv time ldo.

SellingtheDrama 10-31-2007 04:39 PM

Hellmuth is deathly afraid of varience - his tournament and HSP play make this obvious.

anuj 10-31-2007 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. You don't think he knows he is losing EV by negotiating insurance? Give me a break.

pmw 10-31-2007 05:03 PM

i think he takes insurance because he is unable to deal with bad beats and he knows it. He would loose way nore if he would tilt.

dlorc 10-31-2007 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was funny the other night on HSP when Negreanu asked him, "what is there about money that you don't like?", while he was trying to negotiate insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was awesome [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

evanski 10-31-2007 05:17 PM

Pros: He often effs up the odds and ends up turning it into a positive EV gamble for himself because no one else seems to notice (see the end of HSP ep 10 this week).

bones 10-31-2007 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. You don't think he knows he is losing EV by negotiating insurance? Give me a break.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he knows he's giving up something. But I don't think Hellmuth understands poker and gambling math nearly as much as he should given his success.

HorridSludgyBits 10-31-2007 06:07 PM

One of the revelations of HSP this year is how poor Phil (and the other top pros) is at calculating hand odds. I guess getting insurance against bad beats is yet another of many ways that he "dodges bullets," in his mind.

TimWillTell 10-31-2007 08:36 PM

For Helmut it is very important to know the cards of players like Fhara or Baxter when they are in showdown and lose the hand.
Information like that is golden for him.
When Baxter started with not showing the hand while being all-in Helmut started with his insurance trick.
Baxter showed the hand so that Helmut could get his insurance and Helmut got the information he wanted so desperately.
Now he does it everytime to ensure that with All-ins the cards are shown.

Double cheers!

TheOneWizard 10-31-2007 08:51 PM

I believe this:

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth is deathly afraid of varience - his tournament and HSP play make this obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this:

[ QUOTE ]
i think he takes insurance because he is unable to deal with bad beats and he knows it. He would loose way nore if he would tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the closest to the truth. While sacrificing EV insurance does reduce your variance almost entirely. It's very clear Hellmuth does not like to lose and would rath win less than lose anything.

Zorlac 10-31-2007 09:03 PM

I think it's about TV time...

Hellmuth mentioned in the last episode they're allowed '1 minute' to discuss insurance. This is 1 minute of TV time that all the other pros 'wasted' (in his eyes) and he milked every second of it.

For that 1 minute he's the centre of attention, the cameras are on HIM and it allows him to bath in the glory of having the best hand and outplaying someone.

.Z

Joseph Hewes 10-31-2007 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth does not like to lose and would rath win less than lose anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea that's what I'm thinking.

OmahaDoc80 10-31-2007 09:13 PM

Phil in case you are reading this. You can call me anytime, 24 hours a day 7 days a week if your in a tournament or cash game hand a will always accommodate your insurance needs.

mikechops 10-31-2007 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the revelations of HSP this year is how poor Phil (and the other top pros) is at calculating hand odds. I guess getting insurance against bad beats is yet another of many ways that he "dodges bullets," in his mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt he mess up the K9 vs K7 hand? He gave Eli 8 outs, 9s and Js? But since Eli has a 9 there were only 7. He was trying to give 10% juice and ended up giving an extra 12.5%. I bet BA realized and didnt correct him.

0524432 10-31-2007 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

elementary comment but maybe not?

phantom_lord 10-31-2007 09:19 PM

he's just a moron.

Wizzy33 10-31-2007 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt he mess up the K9 vs K7 hand? He gave Eli 8 outs, 9s and Js? But since Eli has a 9 there were only 7. He was trying to give 10% juice and ended up giving an extra 12.5%. I bet BA realized and didnt correct him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil said it was 36 wins and 8 losses but since the chop outs didn't count it was actually 30 wins 8 losses which is 3.75:1 which he played off as 4.5:1 so him taking 4:1 was +EV deal.
The only problem is it wasn't actually 36 wins 8 losses because eli only had 7 outs so it was 37-7 and if you take the 6 chop outs out it was 31-7 which is 4.42:1 so phil actually did lose on this but if he could count outs he would have been +EV in this.

ConspirEDD 10-31-2007 09:55 PM

why doesn't UB have an option to pause the game & request insurance from UB, other players at the table, phil ivey...

1968 10-31-2007 09:59 PM

he said he sold part of his action to someone else in HSP (he prob does this a lot).. so hes prob just playing safe trying lock up wins..

asa 10-31-2007 10:35 PM

lol atleast hes not mucking the winning hand

LucidDream 10-31-2007 10:52 PM

I'm guessing it has to do w/ the fact of how big the game is and wanting to hold onto the money more than maximize his EV since he will probably never reach a long run in 300/600nl.

KUCletus 10-31-2007 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol atleast hes not mucking the chopping hand

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP?

gbporkpie 11-01-2007 12:48 AM

He hates money.

asa 11-01-2007 01:50 AM

chopping hand wins 14k = a winning hand

Alobar 11-01-2007 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2. His elongated bickering pontentially (and actually) often adds to his camera-time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the motivation for EVERYTHING phil does

LiveInPeace 11-01-2007 02:54 AM

Yeah a few thousand in EV adds tens of thousands to his marketability.