Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Puzzles and Other Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Long Game Schedule Idea (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=161035)

Jonsan 07-13-2006 04:31 PM

Long Game Schedule Idea

Let's get a sticky up for a game schedule. People could PM Durron with the name of their game and the intended start date, and he could put it on the schedule. We could say no more than 2 long games running concurrently, and stagger the start by a day or two?

Just an idea, post ideas here on how to make it better.

Boiler_bd 07-13-2006 04:41 PM

Re: Long Game Schedule Idea

genius

MDoranD 07-13-2006 04:43 PM

I dont think there needs to be restrictions on how many are going on or anything like that. If people will sign up for a game lets get it going...Lets see what POG can grow into...

If anything just sticky a note for new players to be careful signing up for more than one at a time because of the time committment it takes.

kyro 07-13-2006 04:49 PM

MDoran,

People sign up without thinking about it, and then don't participate. Warnings will not be heeded.

KyrosMother 07-13-2006 07:02 PM

I think the calendar is a great idea. I don't know that we need to restrict how many go at any given time, but I think the calendar would allow people who want to mod a game to get on the calendar, allow people to see when games are coming up, etc. If anything, I think it would get more games "in the queue". The calendar thread should have a link to the game's startup thread. This is how other sites do it.

durron597 07-13-2006 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the calendar is a great idea. I don't know that we need to restrict how many go at any given time, but I think the calendar would allow people who want to mod a game to get on the calendar, allow people to see when games are coming up, etc. If anything, I think it would get more games "in the queue". The calendar thread should have a link to the game's startup thread. This is how other sites do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only started ASV now because of the WSOP ME, but we can do a calendar starting in the beginning of august

Our House 07-13-2006 07:28 PM

A calendar is awesome. Jonsan, I love the idea 100% and actually started a thread like this for turbos my 1st or 2nd week into PoG. So yes, I'm fully behind schedules and the organization of PoG. It would help to stop games and hosts from getting in each others' way and would give players a clear outline of what to expect daily/weekly/monthly; which is a HUGE attraction for both posters from other forums and newbies. Of course, there would still be impromptu threads for turbos and other (non-WW) games.

As I mentioned to durron a little while ago, I am going to try to talk Shortline into running another SuperTurbo when he gets back from frisbeeing. If we do it, it will probably be on a Sunday evening at 8pm like the last one. That seems like a good time to run STs as they won't interfere with any long games.....which may be something else to consider adding to a fixed schedule.

Nicholasp27 07-13-2006 11:28 PM

i call march 17th, 2008

Jonsan 07-13-2006 11:57 PM

Some more ideas:

Have two sections in the sticky, one for current games and one for future games.

Under current games would be a listing for each active long game. For Example:

Simpsons
<u>Mod:</u> Zurvan
<u>Started:</u> 7/10/2006
<u>Seeking Alternates?</u> No
<u>Summary:</u> Mafia are hunting the Simpson family in Springfield. Many unknown roles and powers make this an unpredictable and exciting game.
<u>Link:</u> Simpsons Game Thread

The second section would be for upcoming games. For Example:

James Bond Themed Game
<u>Mod:</u> Kyro
<u>Starting:</u> 7/27/2006 (Tentative)
<u>Seeking Players?</u> Yes
<u>Summary:</u> Multiple factions of evil doers seek to destroy James Bond and the other secret agents while fighting each other. Classic Bond characters and villains are featured.
<u>Link:</u> James Bond Sign-up Thread

Good idea? Bad idea? Waste of time?

pudley4 07-14-2006 12:18 AM

great idea!

But someone needs to keep it up to date.

NOT IT!

Our House 07-14-2006 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some more ideas:

Have two sections in the sticky, one for current games and one for future games.

Under current games would be a listing for each active long game. For Example:

Simpsons
<u>Mod:</u> Zurvan
<u>Started:</u> 7/10/2006
<u>Seeking Alternates?</u> No
<u>Summary:</u> Mafia are hunting the Simpson family in Springfield. Many unknown roles and powers make this an unpredictable and exciting game.
<u>Link:</u> Simpsons Game Thread

The second section would be for upcoming games. For Example:

James Bond Themed Game
<u>Mod:</u> Kyro
<u>Starting:</u> 7/27/2006 (Tentative)
<u>Seeking Players?</u> Yes
<u>Summary:</u> Multiple factions of evil doers seek to destroy James Bond and the other secret agents while fighting each other. Classic Bond characters and villains are featured.
<u>Link:</u> James Bond Sign-up Thread

Good idea? Bad idea? Waste of time?

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely INCREDIBLE!

Jonsan 07-14-2006 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
great idea!

But someone needs to keep it up to date.

NOT IT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly an issue. I would be willing to help out, but I wouldn't want to do it alone.

Zurvan 07-14-2006 08:02 AM

I think this would be pretty low maintenance, assuming the Mods agree to it. The game mods submit the write-ups when they come up with the game. The mods put it in the sticky, and then change the link once the game starts.

Hornacek 07-14-2006 08:20 AM

ok sign 24 up for early August.

Jonsan 07-17-2006 11:22 AM

Mods? Any chance of this happening?

Tokyo!! 07-17-2006 12:13 PM

Also, there is potentially a Tokyo/BobbyO co-modded long game coming up after we get back from vegas. We're still working out the kinks, but it will be awesome don't worry.

kyro 07-17-2006 12:33 PM

Jonsan,

[censored] sweet.

Jonsan 08-23-2006 10:59 AM

Bump!

ScottHoward 08-23-2006 11:04 AM

also,we should have it set up that there are up to 3 ave speed games going at once. one from 8am-noon, another from 1-5, and one from 6-10pm. 8am to 10pm, or 10am to 10pm is ridiculous really (no offense to anybody).
you could sign up to play the games that fit your schedule, and you could play in 3 at a time if you like, in case some jerkoffs kill you night 1 in a long game. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Nicholasp27 08-23-2006 11:07 AM

what we really need is like 20 more regular players

then we could start a long game every monday...that way when u get eaten in a game, u have another to jump into within a week

we could also maybe do 9-4 17-persons with 50 min days/10 min nights if we had more people

Hornacek 08-23-2006 11:09 AM

Don't worry 24 is still coming.

Nicholasp27 08-23-2006 11:09 AM

please wait until 9/11+ to start

i'm gone friday-9/10 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Zurvan 08-23-2006 11:11 AM

Wheel of Time Themed Game
<u>Mod</u>: Zurvan
<u>Starting</u>: 9/25/2006 (Tentative, not until after 24)
<u>Seeking Players?</u> Not yet
<u>Summary</u>: Multiple factions, several new &amp; unique power roles. General awesomeness. No knowledge of the series required to play. You should read it anyway. There may be minor spoilers for the series, but nothing that is not revealed in the first 2 books, I think.
<u>Link</u>: Not yet

sighing 08-23-2006 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in case some jerkoffs kill you night 1 in a long game. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, but how often does that happen?

ScottHoward 08-23-2006 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in case some jerkoffs kill you night 1 in a long game. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
to me, or to anybody?

Jonsan 08-23-2006 11:38 AM

Durron, any chance we get a schedule sticky?

sighing 08-23-2006 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
to me, or to anybody?

[/ QUOTE ]I dunno, I get killed DAY 1, not night 1.

ballin4life 08-23-2006 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wheel of Time Themed Game
<u>Mod</u>: Zurvan
<u>Starting</u>: 9/25/2006 (Tentative, not until after 24)
<u>Seeking Players?</u> Not yet
<u>Summary</u>: Multiple factions, several new &amp; unique power roles. General awesomeness. No knowledge of the series required to play. You should read it anyway. There may be minor spoilers for the series, but nothing that is not revealed in the first 2 books, I think.
<u>Link</u>: Not yet

[/ QUOTE ]
I really like this series, good idea [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Zurvan 09-12-2006 06:39 PM

Bumped for Tokyo to put his POG themed game on.

Also to confirm that September 25 is the start date for WoT. Sign-up thread late this week. Maybe.

Jonsan 09-12-2006 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bumped for Tokyo to put his POG themed game on.

Also to confirm that September 25 is the start date for WoT. Sign-up thread late this week. Maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe someday we will get a schedule sticky...

sighing 09-14-2006 11:19 AM

Dungeon

Mod: Sighing
Starting: 10/10/2006 (Tentative, after Wheel of Time game)
Seeking Players? Not yet
How Many Players? 24, subject to change
Summary: Fantasy theme, party of Adventurers vs. Monsters. Players all have hit points, so many attacks are not outright kills like in a normal WW game. Every player has a class (wizard, cleric, etc.) with a special ability.
Link: Not yet, still tuning the ruleset a little

Nicholasp27 09-14-2006 11:33 AM

what about just putting in timeslots from now on?

every monday a new game starts

every other week is a theme/alt rules game

every other week is an average speed standard game

even with 28 players, that'll be done in 2 weeks with 1 lynch/1 eating each day, even with 1-day weekends it should be fine

and we'll always have something to look forward to on mondays and we'll always have a max of 2 games going at once and there won't be trouble scheduling games

we'll know when they all start and about when they'll finish (based on rules of game)

an additional idea is to have EVERY thursday start a new average speed game that is a 17 person game; that'll be done (or on 2v1 worst case) by when the next starts...plus, 6 people from monday's average speed will already be out and some will not have joined the monday one

or just make 2 average speeds a week; we split up all people who wanna play into 2 groups, with 17 being the max in each and 13 being the least in each; then the games will only take a week so EVERY week we have an average speed to look forward to and every other week a theme game

sighing 09-14-2006 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what about just putting in timeslots from now on?

every monday a new game starts

every other week is a theme/alt rules game

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I went two weeks out from WOTime for just that reason, so makes sense to me (though I chose a Tuesday start due to the US holiday)

ScottHoward 09-14-2006 11:36 AM

timeslots = 12pm-4pm
practically everbody is available at this time
someday youll all thank me

amplify 09-14-2006 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
timeslots = 12pm-4pm

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't forget prisoners.

Hornacek 09-14-2006 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
timeslots = 12pm-4pm

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't forget prisoners.

[/ QUOTE ]

out biotches

ScottHoward 09-14-2006 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
timeslots = 12pm-4pm

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't forget prisoners.

[/ QUOTE ]
i thought it went without saying that we need prisoners

Nicholasp27 09-14-2006 11:41 AM

actually, i take back the ave speed idea

i think that should just start as soon as the previous one is over (or even down to last day)

someone can volunteer to mod the next one when it's getting close to the end and start signups and pick a day to start that should coincide with end of current one

but theme games should do an every-other-week schedule (altho i'm fine with every week like mishmash this monday and wheel of time next monday, but many people want only one theme at a time so that's fine)

Jonsan 09-14-2006 12:38 PM

I think we will probably see a lack of participation in some of the upcoming games due to the overlap of WoT, MM4, POG, and 24.

Nick's idea is good, but I still think a schedule sticky where people can call dibs on a start date is worthwhile. I am of the opinion that there should be no more than 1 theme game and 1 standard game running at the same time.

Zurvan 09-14-2006 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we will probably see a lack of participation in some of the upcoming games due to the overlap of WoT, MM4, POG, and 24.

Nick's idea is good, but I still think a schedule sticky where people can call dibs on a start date is worthwhile. I am of the opinion that there should be no more than 1 theme game and 1 standard game running at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jonsan's absolutely right.

We just don't have a big enough player pool to have 4 games running all at once.