Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Is the WPT Dying? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=106626)

Rottersod 05-07-2006 12:49 AM

Is the WPT Dying?

The WPT is no longer being shown on Wednesday's at 6 pm PST. I used to Tivo this showing because I didn't want to miss Lost at 9 pm. Starting this week the WPT no longer has the early showing, at least here in Los Angeles. If this was really still a popular show there wouldn't be any reason to take it off the air now.

BTW, when I tried to Tivo a repeat showing of this past week's show all I got was a paid infomercial (and it was set to the correct channel). This doesn't bode well for the WPT.

Dynasty 05-07-2006 12:52 AM

Re: Is the WPT Dying?

There is another thread about this which I started.

Apparently, the Travel Channel is now supplying a "west coast feed" for cities like Las Vegas and Los Angeles in the Pacific time zone. So, now we see the show at 9pm and midnight just like East coast viewers do.

This isn't any kind of a statment about the success or failure of the WPT.

Rottersod 05-07-2006 12:54 AM

The midnight show is the one I tried to Tivo and all I got was the infomercial so I think my post still stands. If the WPT was still as strong as it once was the TC wouldn't even consider messing around with it. Everything else on the TC is still running as before.

chicken10der 05-07-2006 01:01 AM

I'm in the central time zone, and both the original airing and the replay were on Wednesday night. My TiVo successfully recorded the 11 pm replay because it had to record Lost at 8.

Dynasty 05-07-2006 01:08 AM

Although I don't have access to Travel Channel's ratings, I have no doubt that the World Poker Tour is still their #1 show by a lot.

Rottersod 05-07-2006 01:09 AM

I guess this is pretty much the end of my WPT watching. I used to have a set routine: I'd Tivo the 6 pm show and get home around 6:45 so I could start watching from the beginning and fast forward through all the inane VVP/MS comments and commercials. I could usually watch the entire show in under 45 minutes.

In all honesty the past couple of seasons have been pretty bad. I guess I want to see the big names appear since to me it's really just entertainment and not real poker by the time they reach the FT. I want to hear some trash talking and some good comments from players like DN instead of just watching 6 unknown guys stare straight ahead and not say anything. This is why HSP is such a better watch.

Rottersod 05-07-2006 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I don't have access to Travel Channel's ratings, I have no doubt that the World Poker Tour is still their #1 show by a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are probably right. It's just that if they were smart they wouldn't mess with it.

John Shiznit 05-07-2006 01:31 AM

Like ive said before, just because the WPT show on travel channel sucks does not mean the WPT tournaments are not growing in popularity.

The basic problem on tv i feel is the audience has gotten more sophisticated and they have seen the same types of plays too many times. There really is not much poker to be learned from watching the show.

I think a live (10 - 15 minute delay type tourney would be great).

Nick B. 05-07-2006 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The should replace Courtney Friel with Samantha Brown. It would help out 2 of the travel channels shows!

olivert 05-07-2006 02:26 AM

Travel Channel East Feed - West Feed discrepancy

[ QUOTE ]
The midnight show is the one I tried to Tivo and all I got was the infomercial so I think my post still stands. If the WPT was still as strong as it once was the TC wouldn't even consider messing around with it. Everything else on the TC is still running as before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your cable system is still carrying Travel Channel's EAST FEED, but your TIVO program guide now has the schedule for Travel Channel's WEST FEED.

Hence the discrepancy.

Not all cable systems in the Pacific Time Zone have switched over to the Travel Channel's west feed yet. Some of them are probably waiting for the end of the WPT season in June before making the switch.

If you have DirecTV or DISH Network, you get the Travel Channel's EAST FEED ONLY regardless of your time zone.