Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Dating: If you're short, you better make $$$$$$$ (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=376126)

onthebutton 04-11-2007 03:29 PM

Dating: If you\'re short, you better make $$$$$$$

This article from the NYTimes was really surprising to me. Of course, it's conventional wisdom that women find taller guys attractive. This study shows that it's a MUCH bigger factor than I would have ever guessed.

LINK TO ARTICLE

The important part:
[ QUOTE ]
Just as Darwin could have predicted, the researchers have found that women are pickier than men. While men concentrate mainly on looks and will ask out a lot of women as long as they’re above a certain threshold of attractiveness, women focus on fewer prospects.

They’re less willing to date someone of another race. When using online services, they pay more attention than men do to a potential partner’s education, profession and income. They prefer taller men, but they’re willing to relax their standards for the Ron Perelmans of the world, as revealed in a study of more than 20,000 online daters by Gunter Hitsch and Ali Hortacsu of the University of Chicago and Dan Ariely of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

They found that a 5-foot-8 man was just as successful in getting dates as a 6-footer if he made more money — precisely $146,000 a year more. For a 5-foot-2 man, the number was $277,000. [For more of these trade-offs, see nytimes.com/tierneylab.]

[/ QUOTE ]

slickpoppa 04-11-2007 03:37 PM

Re: Dating: If you\'re short, you better make $$$$$$$

Not that surprising. Women are definitely money grubbing hos.

At the same time though, they are much more likely to reduce their physical standards for a good personality than guys are.

barryc83 04-11-2007 03:37 PM

Heh, I'm 5'8" and I know being short doent help with the ladies but 4"=$146,000?[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

edfurlong 04-11-2007 03:38 PM

I'm so lonely.

onthebutton 04-11-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh, I'm 5'8" and I know being short doent help with the ladies but 4"=$146,000?[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the part I found shocking. $146k/yr? Damn!

Vyse 04-11-2007 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

At the same time though, they are much more likely to reduce their physical standards for a good personality than guys are.

[/ QUOTE ]

amen

Aloysius 04-11-2007 03:43 PM

I have a buddy who is 5'7". He was using Match.com but kept getting dinged on the height requirement for most women's matches.

He showed me the profile of one chick who had a height requirement of 5'10" thru 8' (which I guess is Match's standardized top range) - haha so I guess she'd rather date Manute Bol than a slightly short guy.

-Al

onthebutton 04-11-2007 03:45 PM

Forgot to add: 6'2", so it does make me happy.

Aloysius 04-11-2007 03:46 PM

OTB - well you are going to be 2" richer than me. Damn you!

Haha I will say that I've noticed that for women, the only consistent deal-breaker (wrt to physical attributes) is height. I think it has to do with wearing heels.

-Al

kyleb 04-11-2007 03:48 PM

Man, I'm 6'0" and rich and I still have an idiot for a girlfriend

this sucks