Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Another Brilliant Idea by Bush..aka the Douche Bag President (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=53755)

$_DEADSEXE_$ 03-06-2006 06:10 AM

Another Brilliant Idea by Bush..aka the Douche Bag President

Uh this just confuses me...
So it was unconstitutional under Clinton...but what the [censored]...lets see if it works out for us. Hey you gotta give em credit...at least they got the balls to try it..screw the constitution and Supreme Court.
Line-Item Veto

morphball 03-06-2006 12:13 PM

Re: Another Brilliant Idea by Bush..aka the Douche Bag President

I think the line-item veto is a great idea. It can really cut a lot of the pork. Now I know that a president will only cut the port from the people who don't support him, but that's still less pork than before, isn't it?

MoreWineII 03-06-2006 01:22 PM

I think giving the Bush administration more control and fewer rules is a great idea!

andyfox 03-06-2006 02:18 PM

If memory serves, every president for quite some time has asked for the line-item veto. Nobody has gotten it because the congress realizes a line-item veto essentially puts it out of business.

DVaut1 03-06-2006 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If memory serves, every president for quite some time has asked for the line-item veto. Nobody has gotten it because the congress realizes a line-item veto essentially puts it out of business.

[/ QUOTE ]

President Clinton had it temporarily (surprisingly signed into law in 1996 by a Republican-controlled Congress), but the Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional two years later in Clinton v City of New York. It may not be appropriate to claim it was "surprising", since I think everyone concedes it's an effective tool to curtail pork-barrelling, and the line-item veto has always drawn support from federal spending hawks in Congress.

With the new makeup of the Court, however, it could perhaps meet a different fate if put back in front of SCOTUS -- although I have read nothing that indicates how CJ Roberts or Justice Alito would vote if presented with a case.

If I had to guess, this sounds more like a political tactic to distract from Iraq/ports/Katrina than a serious policy proposal, although I doubt the Bush administration would be terribly upset if Congress decided to run with this.

canis582 03-06-2006 03:57 PM

---------
although I have read nothing that indicates how CJ Roberts or Justice Alito would vote if presented with a case.
-------------

Those partisian knuckleheads would have voted differently for Clinton than they would for Bush.

Borodog 03-06-2006 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, the constitution of the Confederate States of America included a line-item veto. It also included language that explicitly banned corporate welfare (then known as "internal improvement subsidies"), protectionist tariffs, and did not contain the General Welfare clause that has been so abused.

pvn 03-06-2006 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, the constitution of the Confederate States of America included a line-item veto. It also included language that explicitly banned corporate welfare (then known as "internal improvement subsidies"), protectionist tariffs, and did not contain the General Welfare clause that has been so abused.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you, some kind of racist?

niss 03-06-2006 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
---------
although I have read nothing that indicates how CJ Roberts or Justice Alito would vote if presented with a case.
-------------

Those partisian knuckleheads would have voted differently for Clinton than they would for Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could we give them each like 6 months on the job before we conclude that they are "partisan knuckleheads"?

Wes Mantooth 03-06-2006 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another Brilliant Idea by Bush..aka the Douche Bag President

[/ QUOTE ]

Douchebag is one word.