Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Mario Galaxy: 97 on Metacritic (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=542705)

blackize 11-10-2007 04:46 AM

Mario Galaxy: 97 on Metacritic

Can't wait to pick this up.

14 reviews of it up on Metacritic so far with a score of 97

dukemagic 11-10-2007 04:53 AM

Re: Mario Galaxy

haha i was wondering when a thread was going to be made on this game. i was especially surprised that nicholas hadn't made one saying "WII GETS ANOTHER AAA TITLE - IGN GIVES GALAXY 9.7!!!" or something like that, haha.

but yeah, this game looks sweet. i'm not buying it, but my drawmate is, so i'll definitely be playing it. the ign review just raves about the game.

Takshi 11-10-2007 07:24 AM

Looks good, can't wait to play it.

MikeSmith 11-10-2007 09:27 AM

i played a level at gamestop, very repetitive but pretty cool

Jzo19 11-11-2007 02:17 AM

game informer (the only gaming mag i read) gave it a 9.7 ...guess its time to buy a wii 4 me

jah7_fsu1 11-12-2007 02:26 AM

This is truly a saving grace IMO for hardcore gamers and the Wii. With so many killer titles coming this holiday season on PS3/360, Nintendo needed something like this.

Nintendo's holiday lineup is very blah IMO compared to PS3/360, but I'm probably looking more forward to this one game than any of the other titles this holiday season.

RikaKazak 11-12-2007 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good, can't wait to play it.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed...I'm just waiting for 2K more fpps on stars so I can get a gift card to amazon...then I'm going to order it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BBC Z 11-12-2007 11:12 AM

It's weird getting used to controlling Mario upside down and jumping on goombas. At around a quarter complete, the game varies enough to keep things interesting.

I'm interested to see how difficult it gets on the quest for 120.

deadbody 11-12-2007 12:49 PM

Note, for all who haven't pre-ordered this, Toys R us is giving a $25 gift card with the purchase, I plan on stopping in there tomorrow, getting SMG and another game, getting a cool $35 in gift cards (newpaper had a thing where if you bought $75 you got a $10 GC) and then turning that $35 into most of another game.

Go me.

choccypie 11-12-2007 03:18 PM

Released on my bday too, awesome! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

housenuts 11-12-2007 04:33 PM

was this game released today?
i stopped by walmart earlier to pick it up, and the stupid guy told me it's released tomorrow. i thought for sure it was today

Nicholasp27 11-12-2007 04:33 PM

i think all video games are released on tuesday, in general (gh3 was a rare sunday release)

The Bus Driver 11-12-2007 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
was this game released today?
i stopped by walmart earlier to pick it up, and the stupid guy told me it's released tomorrow. i thought for sure it was today

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought it was weird for it to come out on a monday and not a tuesday, but I went in to GameStop today to pick up the copy I reserved, since it's all over the internet that today is the release date. I was disappointed when they told me it's out tomorrow, but they gave me a commemorative coin to hold me over - SWEET!

KLJ 11-12-2007 05:11 PM

today's the ship date, tomorrow's the release date

choccypie 11-12-2007 05:20 PM

Why does the US always get good games before we do...it won't be out till Friday here in the UK [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

deadbody 11-12-2007 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does the US always get good games before we do...it won't be out till Friday here in the UK [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

We won the revolutionary war. I'm sure a key tenet of the reasons for fighting was faster access to Video games.

sixfour 11-12-2007 07:22 PM

Re: Mario Galaxy: 97 on Metacritic

[ QUOTE ]
Can't wait to pick this up.

14 reviews of it up on Metacritic so far with a score of 97

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, it's out on Friday here. I've still got like the last third of Zelda to do as well as more or less the entirety of Corruption. I need to stop being so slack although I believe that this isn't too long

footnbaseball 11-12-2007 08:20 PM

I don't know what the deal with you guyses gamestop is, I went and bought a copy today. Maybe my store broke street date?

blackize 11-12-2007 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Crap, it's out on Friday here. I've still got like the last third of Zelda to do as well as more or less the entirety of Corruption. I need to stop being so slack although I believe that this isn't too long

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah same here. I've got like 1 level left in Zelda and a little more than half of Metroid to go. The only game I've fully beaten recently is Super Paper Mario.

I stopped in to Walmart and Best Buy today thinking the game was out, no luck. Guess I'm heading back out tomorrow.

gharp 11-12-2007 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what the deal with you guyses gamestop is, I went and bought a copy today. Maybe my store broke street date?

[/ QUOTE ]
They ship today - some stores get them on the shelves today, some don't. I live about 80 miles from the nearest major airport so we never get games until the day after they ship. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

4 High 11-13-2007 12:19 AM

Got it tonight. I will start tomorrow after work.

bazooka87 11-13-2007 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
End of the month here [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

mahgeetah 11-13-2007 04:17 PM

Just got mine about an hour ago... about to get started! I'm really pumped about this. I can't believe i took the time to post before i started playing.

KLJ 11-13-2007 06:25 PM

just got mine earlier (along with metroid)

gonna grind a session while the games are good and then play it later tonight with the girlfriend

grouchie 11-13-2007 07:28 PM

none off the TRU's in my area got their shipments today [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

A S U 11-13-2007 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
none off the TRU's in my area got their shipments today [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Went to a Target on my lunch break and they weren't in either. Not arriving until this evening. Sooo lame. Oh well. How is it for the guys who have it?

ClubChamp04 11-13-2007 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TRU is totally worthless, they never have enough games when they have these promos. I would never buy anything from them if they didn't have these great deals that come along once in a while.

So is the game any good, who is playing it? It didn't look great from what I saw on the GT's review but still something I would of picked up for ~$25 with the TRU giftcard.

hedxcold 11-13-2007 09:58 PM

got it at toys r us with the gift card this after work. so far the beginning of the game moves sloooow with the story line stuff, but my friend said it gets better. cool game play though

skiier04 11-13-2007 10:08 PM

15 stars in, it's great, but I do miss the big wide open levels of SM64 and Sunshine.

Still fantastic and supposedly keeps getting better, so I'm more than pleased.

blackize 11-13-2007 10:20 PM

Just got home with my copy. I had to hit 4 stores to find a copy, but I finally got one!

4 High 11-13-2007 10:43 PM

How the feck do you save?

grouchie 11-13-2007 11:02 PM

Yes, TRU sucks.

I called, lady on phone says "we are guarnteed to get our shipment in at 5"

Get there, no shipment, still none by 6. Employees don't know how things work, pissed lots of people off in the line, etc....

goofyballer 11-14-2007 12:20 AM

Got mine at Gamestop today, 3 stars in, the whole planet thing is a little weird and disorienting at first but I'm getting more used to it. This will be pretty -EV for poker I think. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, I'm fairly sure the commemorative coin I got as a result of pre-ordering at Gamestop is going to make an awesome card protector when playing live. I used to use the Oblivion collector's edition coin, and it was super rad, but then I lost it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

blackize 11-14-2007 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like it just asks if you want to save after each star you get.

I'm 6 stars in and like the game a lot so far. About as good as Mario 64 but without the camera problems.

mahgeetah 11-14-2007 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like it just asks if you want to save after each star you get.

I'm 6 stars in and like the game a lot so far. About as good as Mario 64 but without the camera problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... it prompts you to save. but if you're not in a galaxy, just push + and you can save.

I'm loving this game so far. I've gotten 6 stars... it's really fun to me... It was hard to get used to running upside down and stuff at first but now it's getting a lot better. There isn't a whole lot to figure out yet, but I'm sure it will get harder as the game goes.

blackize 11-14-2007 01:44 AM

I've got 11 stars so far and the hardest things I've done are the surfing gal and the candy gal.

Moozh 11-14-2007 12:35 PM

I'm just 6 stars in, but I think it has a lot of potential. So far things have varied between easy and disorientating, but that should change as I get farther in. This is the first game I've played in a long long time that has recaptured some of that excitement you get when you know you're playing an epic game.

mahgeetah 11-14-2007 01:43 PM

Last night, I got some bonus stars from the "cosmic orbit" or whatever. It lets you replay levels but you have to do it in a certain time limit or race a shadow Mario. You have to look at the map to see where the special star is. It was really really fun.
And yeah, that candy galaxy is tough... I lost like ten lives trying to do it. I still haven't gotten through it.

goofyballer 11-14-2007 02:54 PM

I got up to about 16 stars and wow this is fun. My only complaint is that the organization of galaxies into planets means it kinda feels like you're performing a bunch of small tasks in succession (getting off each planet and moving to the next) as opposed to Mario 64, where you had these huge expansive worlds to run around in; each "mission" felt more cohesive.

It is early in the game though so future galaxies may address this complaint. That's really all I have to bitch about so far though, this game is sweeeeet and makes me feel like I'm a little kid again.

JuntMonkey 11-14-2007 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got up to about 16 stars and wow this is fun. My only complaint is that the organization of galaxies into planets means it kinda feels like you're performing a bunch of small tasks in succession (getting off each planet and moving to the next) as opposed to Mario 64, where you had these huge expansive worlds to run around in; each "mission" felt more cohesive.

It is early in the game though so future galaxies may address this complaint. That's really all I have to bitch about so far though, this game is sweeeeet and makes me feel like I'm a little kid again.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem I originally had with the previews way back when - the lack of big open worlds. The reviews do say that they are there though...