Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Foods where quality makes a HUGE difference (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393633)

cantsitstillbr 05-02-2007 10:36 AM

Foods where quality makes a HUGE difference

What food items do quality make the biggest difference? The first thing that comes to mind for me is bacon. Also fresh catfish >>>>>>>> farm raised catfish.

almostbusto 05-02-2007 10:39 AM

Re: Foods where quality makes a HUGE difference

basically all fruit. only exception might be a banana, but thats probably because i have never had a great banana since they are shipped like 2000+ miles to get to where i live.

mason55 05-02-2007 10:40 AM

Seafood in general. Vegetables. Fruit. Meat isn't quite as big of a deal but moreso that macaroni & cheese.

In general, anything that's fresh and not full of chemicals and preservatives.

Case Closed 05-02-2007 10:40 AM

I'll go with steak. Big difference between a nice steak house steak and pondorosa or something.

splashpot 05-02-2007 10:42 AM

Steak
Bread

cantsitstillbr 05-02-2007 10:44 AM

Another came to mind. Real Oreos >>>>>>>>>>>&gt ; Generic brand oreos

cantsitstillbr 05-02-2007 10:48 AM

FWIW, as long as you arent purposly looking for crappy steak, I feel the difference between medium quality and high quality steak is pretty small. The big factor for me is whether or not its marinated/cooked well.

sonneti 05-02-2007 10:48 AM

Burgers & sausages..

Blarg 05-02-2007 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
basically all fruit. only exception might be a banana, but thats probably because i have never had a great banana since they are shipped like 2000+ miles to get to where i live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, freshness is huge in fruits especially. Their sugars can turn to starch once picked. Sweet corn is a good example of something much better eaten almost immediately and cooked the bare minimum of time. Papaya's taste can change dramatically even 15 or 20 minutes after it's picked. Those who have never had it fresh off the tree are missing a LOT and don't really know how good it tastes. When I lived in the tropics and had fresh papaya a lot, I'd pick it and toss it in the freezer on top of some ice for about 15 or so minutes. Perfect. But half an hour was too long.

Klompy 05-02-2007 10:51 AM

There was some good suggestions in This thread, but the idea behind this one is a little different.

Quality beer is my answer.