Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   BFI November [censored] thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536089)

dazraf69 11-23-2007 03:15 PM

Re: BFI November [censored] thread

[ QUOTE ]
hey guys, I do some contracting work in Canada and I recieved a check in CAD. I need to get it cashed, but my local bank refuses to do it. Do you guys know where I could get this cashed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give some details as to why your bank will not cash it(usually a bank will cash it but put a hold on it till it clears)? How about opening up a bank account at a larger/international bank?

renodoc 11-25-2007 12:33 AM

wtf when i go to borders or B & N or even buckey's the books/cd's are priced like: $15.95 US $19.95 CAN

total pwnage

(ahnuld- i dont post here much (read: ever) if this isnt the type of thing for this thread, please delete it)

ahnuld 11-25-2007 12:41 AM

yeah they are super slow to adjust prices. It pisses me off because data just came out this week for september retail sales in canada. Due to the dollars huge run and the fact that they cant adjust prices quickly it caused a .7% month over month drop in auto sales and 2.2% drop in tech products. As a result overall retail numbers looked bad and my retailer got killed even though it buys inputs in the US and doesnt sell the type of good that people who buy in the USA instead of canada

chisness 11-25-2007 01:00 PM

Why does everyone recommend Vanguard for index funds? Fidelity's expense ratio is 0.10% to Vanguard's 0.19% from what I can tell.

john voight 11-25-2007 07:19 PM

maybe factors other than .09% diff in expence ratio play a role.

also im guessing ratios are diff for different funds, and fidelity is not lower in all comparable funds. IDK though..

ybother 11-25-2007 07:48 PM

can someone give thier advice on investor tool seminars, I saw one for the tools from success magazine, but the hard sell of it made me skeptical, fwiw it looked like a combination of techincal and fundamental anyalsis...

chisness 11-25-2007 07:59 PM

voight, yeah i didn't look into all the funds, but the total index had the 0.1 to 0.19 and has had slightly higher returns for all of the periods i checked (10, 5, 3, etc.)

Jestli 11-26-2007 01:19 AM

anyone think the S&P could hit 1495 by friday ?

hanster 11-26-2007 02:57 AM

ybother,
i went to one of their seminars and was also turned away by the hard-sell. That is also the first thing they're going to try to sell to you; their main product is for options trading from what i've heard and that's couple thousand grands more each year or so.

ahnuld 11-26-2007 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone think the S&P could hit 1495 by friday ?

[/ QUOTE ]

very possible, but I just bought some dec 1400 puts so my money is on no. Well more specifically, my money is on no rate cut and the market tanks as a result.