Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Could a reciever stop the clock by throwing the ball OOB? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523749)

KneeCo 10-15-2007 08:47 PM

Could a reciever stop the clock by throwing the ball OOB?

My brother mentioned this yesterday during the games and it got me wondering.

Let's say a team is out of TOs, what would happen if a receiver caught the ball and it out of bounds, backwards (like a missed lateral), would that stop the clock without a penalty?

vixticator 10-15-2007 08:48 PM

Re: Could a reciever stop the clock by throwing the ball OOB?

Yeah, I don't see why not.

wiper 10-15-2007 08:52 PM

umm, no. 15 yard penalty and a 10 second run-off, maybe?

wiper 10-15-2007 08:52 PM

actually though, if it were close enough to a lateral, i don't know...

Chrisman886 10-15-2007 08:54 PM

I think of a similar thing when a running back is about to be stopped behind the LOS. Why not just throw it away (forward pass OB).

THAY3R 10-15-2007 09:01 PM

Not sure of the exact ruling, but a player can stop in the middle of the field and yell like "DOWN" or "STOP", and they would stop the play/clock if no one is near him.

FWIW I could be completely wrong about this and it may have just been a dream.

DCWildcat 10-15-2007 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think of a similar thing when a running back is about to be stopped behind the LOS. Why not just throw it away (forward pass OB).

[/ QUOTE ]

I played football, so never RB, so I'm not the best person to ask. But in football, you generally don't know you'r going to eat turf until you're already on the way down. Also, lots of risk of fumbling when you're waving one arm around instead of locking up the football.

That's my guess at least.

Jack of Arcades 10-15-2007 09:09 PM

I don't think you can throw the ball away legally unless you're under the center.

vixticator 10-15-2007 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you can throw the ball away legally unless you're under the center.

[/ QUOTE ]If you are outside the tackle box and behind LOS you can, I'm pretty sure you can.

edit: I have a question. Can you run an end around to a tackle or guard? Nevermind why but assuming you snap the ball are they allowed to run back behind the QB and take a hand off?

dkgojackets 10-15-2007 09:23 PM

In response to the OP, I don't know why they couldn't throw it out of bounds backwards like a lateral.

[ QUOTE ]

edit: I have a question. Can you run an end around to a tackle or guard? Nevermind why but assuming you snap the ball are they allowed to run back behind the QB and take a hand off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive seen laterals to lineman on busted fourth down plays at the end of the game without penalty, so this should be legal if you wanted to for whatever reason.