Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Losing faith in monster cards (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=204554)

mamboboy 09-05-2006 10:19 AM

Losing faith in monster cards

I don't play at high limits, the highest my bankroll has gotten to is $670. Since friday i'm $160 down, so i'm at just over 6 buy-ins loss, I play at the 0.25 tables.

I do admit, i'd say 30% of those losses are from frustration/chasing/tilting, but i've had the worst luck, infact the worst i've had since i've started playing.

So I said I lost 6 buy-ins, Why? I hear you ask. Well pokerroom has this habit of dishing out high pocket pairs to more than 1 person and I always seem to get given Kings. Only 2 days ago four people around the table had JJ, QQ, KK , AA. This always makes alot of action pre-flop, and by the time everyones reraised, it's usually an all in situation.

Whereas in poker getting hands like KK, QQ should leave me very pleased, now i'm actually too scared to raise or play aggressively because I know either someone has the nuts, and will always reraise my pre-flop bet or their ace high will hit at some point, usually on the flop. I actually can't remember the last time I hit trips with QQ+
I'm not saying I should be invincible with those hands, but it seems to be happening a hell of a lot more on Pokerroom, it's making me scared to play the hand, and scared poker is bad poker.

I don't know if there's any way around this. do I need to take a break for a few days? Change websites? I really can't see this ending until i'm broke. Oh and to top it off, the monster hands always seem to come just as i'm about to end a session, so I carry on playing expecting to take advantage of the cards but they always severely dent my stack! I made $70 profit last night (which is excellent considering my current luck), and in under 20 hands $50 of it was gone.

YOYO36 09-05-2006 10:40 AM

Re: Losing faith in monster cards

get use to it the key to winning poker in the internet is going trought this funny swings, youll go the other way soon
how soon i dont know. ihavent met an internet player that havent go trought this , they call it variance, hey, remember someone has to lose and some days youll be the loser no matter how well you play

Dadswell 09-05-2006 11:45 AM

6 buyins is nothing.

Happytime Harry 09-05-2006 01:04 PM

If it makes you feel any better I lost 100 big bets(this is probably like 10 buyins to a NL player) in 700 hands yesterday.

.....and again today.

And I'm still up.

Seriously dude, it's a bad [censored].

TheFresh1 09-05-2006 01:55 PM

If you're playing scared, you might as well cash out your bankroll while it still exists.

Masquerade 09-05-2006 04:36 PM

At a 9-handed table these are approximate chances of pocket pairs:

0 - 58%
1 - 33%
2 - 8%
3 - 1.2%
4 - 0.1%+

So any 4 pairs occuring is incredibly rare - about 1 in 900 hands. And for them to be the top 4 is just incredible - nearer 1 in 10,000.

Zetack 09-05-2006 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At a 9-handed table these are approximate chances of pocket pairs:

0 - 58%
1 - 33%
2 - 8%
3 - 1.2%
4 - 0.1%+

So any 4 pairs occuring is incredibly rare - about 1 in 900 hands. And for them to be the top 4 is just incredible - nearer 1 in 10,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing six handed live a couple of months ago. I had QQ. The other three hands that got involved PF had AA, KK, and another QQ. Fortunately the AA and KK saved me a lot of money in the hand by going to war.

--Zetack

Steve_StudAA 09-05-2006 10:35 PM

Happened 3 times inside of 80 hands on Poker stars tonight, I too quiver when given AK AQ or QQ KK late in a tourney, as it's usually my last hand.

Steve_StudAA 09-05-2006 10:39 PM

The first time I was on the button with 10 10, I seen raise, re-raise, allin, and I'm sitting on 10 10, I fold, 3 allins after me, JJ QQ KK, board ends up none of these cards but its 7896A

Steve_StudAA 09-05-2006 11:01 PM

Now I'm sitting om a cash table and someone just got AA PP 3 times in a row.