Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Need help getting out of a gym contract (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=556402)

VladKGB 11-28-2007 01:07 PM

Need help getting out of a gym contract

Hello OOT, i required your help on getting out of a gym contract which i signed for a year. It has been 5 months so far, and i recently got a new job and the new schedule does not work with the gym's schedule. This is a MMA training gym, and their classes are mon - sat classes start at 6pm, and theres a class every hour, 6pm and 7pm is the technique training and at 8pm they have sparring sessions on Tues and Thurs. Due to my schedule change i cannot make any of the technique training classes only the sparring classes, because i would work from 9:30-6:30 and drive back home is 45mins to an hour.

I signed a yearly contract, which states the contract may be broken if I either sustain an injury which disables me from training for up to 3 months, or if i move more than 30 miles away from their gym location.

So heres some things i've thought of so far:
1. Fake a electricity bill from a friends house who lives over 30 miles away.
2. Get a doctor to write anote claiming i have some sort of condition that prohibits me from training.
3. Talk with the owner and nicely ask him to let me out of the contract due to my schedule change.
But i have some questions about those 3 plans, this is where you can help me.

1. DO you think these people would actually verify some how that it is actually my bill and that i actually live there?

2. What condition can i claim to have? Faking an injury would seem too hard since id have to act, i was thinking of faking a chronic condition. I've heard of people claiming Heart Murmurs to get out of Bally's gym contracts.

3. When i signed they claimed to not be as strict as other gyms and that they were like family. I am not sure if i should try this, because if it fails, then they will know im looking to get out, and the other 2 plans may not work because they would be more vigilant.

Your insight is appreciated, thank you!

mbillie1 11-28-2007 01:09 PM

Re: Need help getting out of a gym contract

shoot yourself in the balls. this will provide with you with the injury you need while freeing the world from the possibility of ever being cursed with your retarded offspring.

mosdef 11-28-2007 01:09 PM

You will be lucky if you can even get out of your contract at the end of the 12 months. Gyms are notorious for this.

BuckyK 11-28-2007 01:10 PM

Jump off a cliff, you're bound to break something.

Or else just talk to them. Sounds like your gym isn't very member friendly if they won't cancel your membership because you can't make it to any more classes.

SmileyEH 11-28-2007 01:11 PM

I would just explain the situation and offer to buy out of the contract for a couple month's dues. I really doubt they will refuse.

Oski 11-28-2007 01:20 PM

Number 3 is your best option. Just be honest, and explain that your changed circumstances is just as if you moved away: you really cannot make use of the membership. This type of gym (MMA) should not want to risk bad word of mouth which might deter others from joining.

If that does not work, make sure you get the "no" from the highest manager possible.

After that, come back to OOT and we can plan the next step.

MortalWombat 11-28-2007 01:25 PM

4. Challenge the owner to a fight to the death in the Octagon. Win or lose, you will get out of the contract one way or the other.

Mr_Mxyztplk 11-28-2007 01:35 PM

all you need is a doctor to write you a note.

piggity 11-28-2007 02:00 PM

Don't do #3. Generally speaking, businesses have very little incentive to cater to a customer who is leaving. Why should they give you free money when you are legally bound to a contract in their favor?

I went through a horrible experience terminating my contract with my previous gym (David Barton in NYC), and it was a month-to-month contract. They had some absurd requirements for termination, and the person who was handling the case purposely delayed certain paperwork to eek out an extra month or two of dues. Fortunately I just bitched to AmEx and they sorted it out for me, but it was a pain in the ass nonetheless.

Tony_P 11-28-2007 02:00 PM

you can do what I did that worked.

First I tried asking the manager nicely, and then when they refused I canceled the credit card they had on file and any mail from them was marked "return to sender" and put back in the mailbox. After a letter ever 2 weeks or so, they gave up after 4 months.

BigCummins 11-28-2007 02:11 PM

GL. You'll need it.

1. easiest, but lowest chance of working in the long run
2. pita to go to a doctor who may or may not be happy to help you avoid paying dues to a business you signed a contract with
3. el-oh-el

I know this wasnt much help, but getting out of gym contracts can take an act of god sometimes, or take TonyP's route and cancel whatever payment they have on file. that actually sounds like the best idea.

Jazzy3113 11-28-2007 03:25 PM

I know a fool proof way, but I wont tell you. Now go work out, chubbs.

piggity 11-28-2007 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First I tried asking the manager nicely, and then when they refused I canceled the credit card they had on file and any mail from them was marked "return to sender" and put back in the mailbox. After a letter ever 2 weeks or so, they gave up after 4 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure they can and will proceed to ruin your credit score by reporting delinquency if you do this.

VladKGB 11-28-2007 05:47 PM

thanks guys. Like i said these people did claim to be "like family" and not as strict as other gyms. But i also know this school is all about the money. I think ill try #3. If their really being [censored] and [censored], i will bad mouth them all over the interwebs, and then proceed with #2. My mother's friend is a doctor, so i think i can manage #2 pretty well oinly problem is selecting the proper medical condition. but what worries me is, if #3 fails and i come to them with #2, then they may be suspicious its fake and try to [censored] me over some other way.

The credit card thing isnt that simple, they bill my bank account. Plus id risk blemishing my excellent credit score.

Gonna try #3, will give trip report. thanks

Tony_P 11-28-2007 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure they can and will proceed to ruin your credit score by reporting delinquency if you do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that you're ignorant of the differences between a loan and a contract for services.

odellthurman 11-28-2007 05:56 PM

In what State do you reside?

SocksOff 11-28-2007 06:00 PM

1. go to the gym to talk to the manager
2. ????
3. profit

VladKGB 11-28-2007 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fl why

SocksOff 11-28-2007 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's in Florida. and hes only 17. Anyone under the age of 18 cannot enter into a legal binding contract. The contract is void.

VladKGB 11-28-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. ????
3. profit

[/ QUOTE ]

im pretty sure i will be told something like "sure no problem, just pay the cancellation fee of $[ridiculous amount i dont wanna pay here]"

SocksOff 11-28-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. ????
3. profit

[/ QUOTE ]

im pretty sure i will be told something like "sure no problem, just pay the cancellation fee of $[ridiculous amount i dont wanna pay here]"

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you just pretend you are filing bankruptcy?

VladKGB 11-28-2007 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's in Florida. and hes only 17. Anyone under the age of 18 cannot enter into a legal binding contract. The contract is void.

[/ QUOTE ]

fail

Yobz 11-28-2007 06:06 PM

Tell the manager you were sexually harassed and you want out. If they don't let you out, threaten to sue.

swingdoc 11-28-2007 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell the manager you were sexually harassed and you want out. If they don't let you out, threaten to sue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually not a bad idea. Make sure you don't say any specific person's name or you could be in for libel. Medical conditions that should work for you:

1. Recently dislocated shoulder
2. Recent MVC and you're being treated for whiplash
3. Mono would get you out of the next 3 or 4 months
4. Playing ultimate frisbee and twisted your knee when you landed in some small hole on the field, ended up with a MCL or LCL tear - pick one - (grade I or II - pick one -), probably need crutches for this, no surgery needed, a brace is probably also useful.
5. How old are you? If you're over 40 years old, you could go for a herniated lumbar disk. If it's good enough for Matt Serra ... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I really like 1 and 2. Nothing visually wrong with you, definitely could not do mma workouts. 4 would be ideal, but you'd need some equipment. 3 is the least awesome idea.

wadea 11-28-2007 07:06 PM

Call the gym and pose as a potential new client. Get the person's name. Record the conversation. Ask them all sorts of questions, including questions about cancellation. Say that you got burned that way at your former gym and you want to make sure that you won't be stuck if your job schedule changes.

I'm not sure about the legality of taping this conversation or its value in court, but it probably won't matter. You just go to the gym the next day, ask to speak with the person from the phone call, and tell him you'd like to cancel. He'll say no. You'll play the tape. Whether the tape is legal or not, he has two choices: (1) He can cancel your policy for no skin off his back, or (2) He can deny your request and face the near-certainty of his boss hearing him promise things on the phone and not delivering in person.

Victory. Best of all, this requires only a five minute call and a five minute discussion at the gym.