Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   jimmy rollins NL MVP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=550681)

mbillie1 11-20-2007 03:14 PM

jimmy rollins NL MVP

mvp, have at it baby. holliday got gyped imo.

C'mon people, lets use better more informative thread titles. Thanks.

Green Kool Aid 11-20-2007 03:17 PM

Re: jimmy rollins is a yambag

lol he wasnt actually the mvp right?

mbillie1 11-20-2007 03:17 PM

goto mlb.com, he's the NL MVP

Pudge714 11-20-2007 03:18 PM

20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20

mbillie1 11-20-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20

[/ QUOTE ]

lol nh

dkgojackets 11-20-2007 03:24 PM

god dammit i did all the 20s like weeks ago

oh yeah this is terrible, but not as bad as Morneau

Rubeskies 11-20-2007 03:25 PM

mbillie1 11-20-2007 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ ] OOT
[ ] * system still in use

Karak567 11-20-2007 03:26 PM

Someone listed Carlos Marmol as 10th on their ballot.

Wynton 11-20-2007 03:29 PM

Doesn't seem horrible, though I would have picked Holliday.

Perhaps the different media markets made a difference.

mbillie1 11-20-2007 03:30 PM

I would've thought there was some sort of mutual exclusion with respect to being a yambag and being MVP, and by default Holliday would've taken it, but what do I know.

dkgojackets 11-20-2007 03:35 PM

Holliday
Utley
Pujols
Ramirez
Jones
Wright

all should be higher than Rollins (no particular order)

BarryLyndon 11-20-2007 03:37 PM

Dude, half the sports media wants to get on their knees and slap their tongues against Rollins' balls. I mean, who do you think was gonna win?

Barry

Smell The Glove 11-20-2007 03:45 PM

I don't think it's that bad. Rollins' WARP was 9.2 compared to Holliday's 9.7. meh not so bad. 20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/infinity is worth at least half a win amirite?

Mondogarage 11-20-2007 03:48 PM

It's not *that* bad, but Holliday still got jobbed. Tulo got jobbed worse by Rollins in the Gold Glove department. But Rollins wasn't even MVP of his own team...

You shouldn't be able to win league MVP if you're not even MVP of your own club, just sayin'.

Needle77 11-20-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You shouldn't be able to win league MVP if you're not even MVP of your own club, just sayin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he said they were the team to beat!!!

BarryLyndon 11-20-2007 03:50 PM

:

mbillie1 11-20-2007 03:51 PM

mbillie1's baseball awards

cy young: Tom Glavine (given ironically)
gold glove: Jose Reyes (given with favoritism)
MVP: Matt Holliday
player I most want to punch in the sack: David Eckstein
not MVP: Jimmy Rollins

boc4life 11-20-2007 03:51 PM

I love the annual bashing of the MVP winner by stat-heads who would prefer they just hand the trophy to the guy with the highest WARP or VORP or whatever statistical baseline they prefer

Eagles 11-20-2007 03:52 PM

David Wright would have/ should have won but the Mets didn't make the playoffs. Even though that's not really his fault because in september he was 352/432/602.

Mondogarage 11-20-2007 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But he said they were the team to beat!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, and they were. Beat, that is.

Needle77 11-20-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mbillie1's baseball awards

cy young: Tom Glavine (given ironically)
gold glove: Jose Reyes (given with favoritism)
MVP: Matt Holliday
player I most want to punch in the sack: David Eckstein
not MVP: Jimmy Rollins

[/ QUOTE ]

How is your MVP not Guillermo Mota? If it wasn't for him the Phils would have finished 2nd again.

vhawk01 11-20-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the annual bashing of the MVP winner by stat-heads who would prefer they just hand the trophy to the guy with the highest WARP or VORP or whatever statistical baseline they prefer

[/ QUOTE ]

Not whatever statistical baseline they prefer. Thats what the actual voters are doing. What the statheads would like is for them to hand the award to whichever guy maxes out the statistical baseline(s) that are objectively best as per correlation to winning.

Its a pretty significant difference.

Zach Belden 11-20-2007 03:57 PM

WOOO BACK TO BACK WHATUP!

i like rollins' double cockslap to tulo AND holliday. woo, thats payback (im not bitter)

kylephilly 11-20-2007 04:00 PM

PHILLAY

mbillie1 11-20-2007 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not whatever statistical baseline they prefer. Thats what the actual voters are doing. What the statheads would like is for them to hand the award to whichever guy maxes out the statistical baseline(s) that are objectively best as per correlation to winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure 4/5 of this board sees the world in Neo vision from "The Matrix" ... just a series of green letters and numbers

<font color="green">P E C O T A j i m m y r o l l i n s 2 0 / 2 0 / 2 0 / 2 0 / 2 0 / b a s e b a l l s h o u l d n e v e r e v e r b e e n j o y e d u n d e r a n y c i r c u m s t a n c e s V O R P / W A R P / z o m g s o m e o n e k n o w s a b o u t S A B E R M E T R I C S i j u s t c a m e i n m y p a n t s </font>

Hollywade 11-20-2007 04:03 PM

I think Matt Holliday clearly should have won. The 20/20/20/20 thing is obviously very impressive. However, Curtis Granderson did the same thing and didn't sniff the MVP or the win a Gold Glove in the AL, despite being one of the top 5 defensive centerfielders in the MLB.

Looking at Holliday's absurd numbers, I think he got absolutely jobbed.

Hollywade 11-20-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like rollins' double cockslap to tulo AND holliday. woo, thats payback (im not bitter)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry Zach, but no it does not. Making it to the World Series&gt;winning the MVP or a Gold Glove.

Just ask Alex Rodriguez.

DonkeyKongSr 11-20-2007 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm pretty sure 4/5 of this board sees the world in Neo vision from "The Matrix" ... just a series of green letters and numbers

<font color="green">P E C O T A j i m m y r o l l i n s 2 0 / 2 0 / 2 0 / 2 0 / 2 0 / b a s e b a l l s h o u l d n e v e r e v e r b e e n j o y e d u n d e r a n y c i r c u m s t a n c e s V O R P / W A R P / z o m g s o m e o n e k n o w s a b o u t S A B E R M E T R I C S i j u s t c a m e i n m y p a n t s </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

metsandfinsfan 11-20-2007 04:09 PM

hollidays home/road splits made this a fairly easy decision

kidcolin 11-20-2007 04:12 PM

that's one of the best posts ever in SE.

metsandfinsfan 11-20-2007 04:16 PM

wright came in 4th
if mets win the division he probably wins the MVP

dammit

slothinator 11-20-2007 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sportswriters don't need stats. They use tools like "made the playoffs", "helped his team by playing hurt", and "character/club house guy" to determine MVP. You wouldn't understand...stathead.

hoyasnaxa 11-20-2007 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wright came in 4th
if mets win the division he probably wins the MVP

dammit

[/ QUOTE ]

I really dont think he would. And can the 5 people that voted Fielder the MVP please have their votes taken away? Same with the 2 that voted for Magglio.

metsandfinsfan 11-20-2007 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Matt Holliday clearly should have won. The 20/20/20/20 thing is obviously very impressive. However, Curtis Granderson did the same thing and didn't sniff the MVP or the win a Gold Glove in the AL, despite being one of the top 5 defensive centerfielders in the MLB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holliday's road #s
.301 11hrs 55rbi .485 slugging .860 OPS

double those and tell me if he didnt play at Coors he was an MVP candidate

Wynton 11-20-2007 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You wouldn't understand...stathead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sense an all-out rumble coming between the statheads and everyone else. Count me among the non-statters.

Let's go at it, stat-heads! Name your weapons.

Neuge 11-20-2007 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holliday's road #s
.301 11hrs 55rbi .485 slugging .860 OPS

double those and tell me if he didnt play at Coors he was an MVP candidate

[/ QUOTE ]
It goes both ways. A high percentage of his road games were played in NL West pitcher's parks.

metsandfinsfan 11-20-2007 04:22 PM

heres a good one

besides coors, the only ballpark holliday hit more than 1 homerun in was citizens bank

kidcolin 11-20-2007 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

meh.. I kind of think statheads take it a bit far when you come to above-replacement-level stat usage. I don't think the fans really give a damn about scarcity of position. Think of an extreme example where 14 teams have Eckstein-like players at SS and the minors are littered with crappy SSs, and one team has someone Jeter-like. On the flip side, 14 teams have strong 3rd basemen, and the minors are filled with great 3Bs, and one team has A-Rod. Fans would be pissed if ARod's season got snubbed because his WARP/VORP.

Of course, my knowledge of SABR stuff is pretty low, so I could be missing something big here.

Zutroy 11-20-2007 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You wouldn't understand...stathead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sense an all-out rumble coming between the statheads and everyone else. Count me among the non-statters.

Let's go at it, stat-heads! Name your weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I choose the mighty analytical power of WARP3! Tremble before its...What's that? You guys have actual weapons? Oh, [censored]...Ummmm nvm, brb.