Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Software products that you think are really good (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=319348)

ohgeetee 02-09-2007 11:21 PM

Re: Software products that you think are really good

I dislike gimp for the same reason. I read that when developing gimp, they set out to arrange the ui in such a way that it was as far from ps as possible, due to how much they hate adobe.

there is supposedly a plugin for gimp that rearranges everything to how ps is setup, i have been unable to find it though. laziness ensued.

Osprey 02-11-2007 07:02 AM

Mediamonkey is an excellent and powerful music jukebox. The organization tools are top notch.

jaffa 02-11-2007 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pandora when I could use it at work. Streaming music all day and it makes suggestions based on my choices.

Firefox, as mentioned before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Similar to Pandora
Last.fm is good for discovering new music. Especially if you're an indie kid. It also has a larger music library than pandora featuring pretty much every piece of music on amazon, including classical, jazz, latin etc. Not as easy to use as pandora though, but not hard either.

btswims 02-12-2007 03:12 PM

Newsleecher - Great program for downloading from newsgroups
Reget - Similar program except for downloading from websites

Ineedaride2 02-13-2007 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I tried gimp years ago and what I really disliked is that the interface seemed really obtuse. Or maybe it was just me being obtuse. In photoshop it always seemed really easy to figure out how to do stuff, but in gimp, I think I had a hell of a time drawing a circle.

Has the interface improved over the years?

[/ QUOTE ]

try paint.net. it's been mentioned, but not hyped. i only do simple crap, but i like it a lot better than gimp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I've read that gimpshop really makes life easier, especially if you're already familiar with photoshop. I haven't tried it, but I figured it would be worth mentioning.

Acronis True Image: Backup software. It's shareware, but I used the free trial period to make an exact backup of a damaged hard drive I use for my business, and it worked like a charm. I plan on purchasing the full-version very soon.

Edited to add: For those people who delete sensitive information from their computer regularly, eraser is a great program for all those paranoid people out there.

Lastly, Digg.com has pretty much got me hooked. It's a great place to catch up on news of all topics, and it has recently added a video section which seems to be growing fast.

By-Tor 02-13-2007 03:59 PM

For those who own color printers and print their own digital photo's, QImage is a must-have.

testaaja 02-13-2007 05:05 PM

As I read down the thread some of my beloved programs have already been listed but I'll still list them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Usually when I do formating I end up with these:

Opera
Best web browser imo.

Firefox
As a backup

Winamp
Audio/video player. I use it for video streaming purposes & audio-listening.

Media Player Classic
IMO the best media player out there.

Ad Aware
A good spyware / adware cleaner.

Sfv-Check
To check my fellow stuff is not broken.

utorrent
The best [censored] client I've ever used.

HashCalc
To hash files and see they are legit/not broken.

Daemon tools
To mount images [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

FlashFXP
Ultimately the best ftp-client I've ever used. Give it a try.

mIRC
Meh, I don't like mirc but you got to have it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] for all your ircing needs!

Avast or AVG
Both are good, I've used them both. I'm not sure which I prefer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] both do their job.

CCCP
Best codec package that I've stumbled upon.
http://www.cccp-project.net/

These were the ones' that came to my mind quickly. I really love all the programs that I listed.

Freakin 02-13-2007 05:22 PM

Picasa - Now useful to me cause of web albums

Audacity - free multi-track sound editing

Synergy2 - Control two computers with 2 monitors with one keyboard and mouse. Especially useful for home computer + laptop.

WinSCP - To hell with FTP!

Newsbin Pro - Best NNTP binary program evar

Calc - there when you need it

mmbt0ne 02-23-2007 06:06 PM

Bump because I'm still looking for a good software to keep track of 5 or 6 checking/savings accounts, credit cards, and loans. I am willing to pay for it.

Isura 02-23-2007 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dids, have you checked out launchy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't. That said, the way I use my computers is more mouse heavy than typing, so your initial description turned me off a bit. I used to be MUCH more keyboard heavy back when we ran a dos based db at work, but since we lost that in 2001, I'm a mouse slave now.

[/ QUOTE ]

dids, do you have a link to rocketlaunch download?