Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Mansion 100k: top pair weak kicker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=320745)

AllinDan 02-01-2007 05:05 AM

Mansion 100k: top pair weak kicker

This hand happened a few days ago, and Mansion doesn't write hh to the hd, but I think I've got relevant details right.

I've just been moved to the table, I think this is my 2nd hand. We're at the start of the 2nd hour and not much has happened for me.

Starting Stack 2500, most of the field is still around.

I have ~3000, most of the table has me covered, including villain.

Blinds 75/150

folds to me, I open for 400 in the co with A8o.

btn+sb fold, bb calls.

Flop A36 rainbow. (875)

bb bets 800. . .

I have 2600 back, pot is now 1700-

what do I do? wtf does a pot sized lead into my pfr mean here? set? draw? I'm lost-help!

shaundeeb 02-01-2007 05:45 AM

Re: Mansion 100k: top pair weak kicker

its call or fold, As shoving turns your hand into a bluff that rarely gets a better hand to fold.

nath 02-01-2007 05:53 AM

I'd probably call it down and hope for the best

registrar 02-01-2007 07:57 AM

That's horrible. I call but I don't feel great about it.

In terms of what the pot bet means, I dunno. I don't often checkraise but this a board and stack to checkraise a set if ever there was one. I'd lead draws here but I don't know which ones I've got there with agaisnt the table SS. This could well be air. It could be middle pair. I suppose it could be two pair.

Soulman 02-01-2007 09:39 AM

If I had to put villian on a hand, I think A3 or A6 is most likely, hoping to taking it down here and being afraid you'll check behind. Also, he's hoping you have an ace and will be willing to push it in he's face.

That being said, other hands that have been mentioned are certainly possibilites.

Eagles 02-01-2007 01:22 PM

I call and don't fold the turn. A lot of people will call pf and donk any flop.

DDBeast 02-01-2007 02:56 PM

These big donk bets on a flop like this are a bluff a huge % of the time. I'm not folding, and certainly not raising.

Chicago Kid 02-01-2007 03:35 PM

IMHO, I think the problem here is the PF raise--it wasn't enough to mean anything. A 1.5BB raise from late position? To me, this would look like a weak steal attempt. Even if I just have air, I'm getting better than 2-1 on my 250TC call.

Plus, you're new to the table--they don't have a read on you.

Absent any other read, I'd have you on Ax, or maybe a smallish pr. With any pr or a decent draw, I could understand a pot-sized bet to knock you off a smaller pair.

mlagoo 02-01-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO, I think the problem here is the PF raise--it wasn't enough to mean anything. A 1.5BB raise from late position? To me, this would look like a weak steal attempt. Even if I just have air, I'm getting better than 2-1 on my 250TC call.

Plus, you're new to the table--they don't have a read on you.

Absent any other read, I'd have you on Ax, or maybe a smallish pr. With any pr or a decent draw, I could understand a pot-sized bet to knock you off a smaller pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, its a fairly standard raise. OPs stack was only 20xBB, it's not as though he's giving a ton of implied odds to call his PFR with any two.

i agree with everyone that this is either a call or a fold, but i'm not really sold on which. i do think that this sort of bet (PSB into PFR in a shallow-stacked tourney) tends to be a monster or air -- i just don't really know which one i should weight more heavily.

registrar 02-01-2007 03:42 PM

I don't think it's ever a monster on this board. It's a somewhat vulnerable hand or it's air.

Edit: somewhat vulnerable can nevertheless beat us fairly monstrously.