Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Community (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Backing Situation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=533172)

Pudge714 10-28-2007 02:15 PM

Backing Situation

I have bought pieces of a friend frequently for live donkaments, but we always discuss specifics before hand. He usually sells himself at 1.5:1 and there isn't much variance in how much money I invest in him. My friends cell is busto so Friday night I call friend 2. Leave him a message saying I want to buy a piece of him or friend 1 call me back or pm me or email me or etc. He calls me back at around midnight I am at a club and drunk. I can't hear him and tell him that.I say I will call him back later or if he pm's me email's me I will respond back before morning. I never call him back he never contacts me. Friend 2 misunderstands and tells Friend 1 I have 5% of him. After the tourney has started friend 1 says he was planning on paying me if he cashed. Do I have a piece of friend 1?

zizazziza 10-28-2007 02:29 PM

Re: Backing Situation

No. A misunderstanding on friend 2 part does not create an agreement. Also, had you made the deal while you were intoxicated, the deal would be considered void because of your intoxicated state of mind. If he cashed, you would have no "legal" way to get your money. So both ways, the deal would be void.

jtown1010 10-28-2007 02:29 PM

How trustworthy is he? I have a few friends that I would never question if they would pay me or not, but I also know a lot more people that I would feel uncomfortable paying without some sort of agreement.

Pudge714 10-28-2007 02:31 PM

He is trustworthy. Please don't turn this in a legal matter as this problem will not be solved in a court of law. I wasn't intoxicated enough that I was unaware of what I was doing, but I just couldn't hear the phone call.

zizazziza 10-28-2007 02:32 PM

alright.
well then I would say you dont have a piece of him whether he cashed or not and whether he was going to pay you or not. I assume that if cashed you would tell him that you didnt have a part of him? If not, then yes you owe him.

THAY3R 10-28-2007 02:47 PM

Do you believe that he would pay you if he cashed?

Pudge714 10-28-2007 02:52 PM

Thay3r,
Yes because he believed I had bought a piece of him.

Sherman 10-28-2007 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thay3r,
Yes because he believed I had bought a piece of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say you do. I mean, this is your friend, you are buying 5% (and you had intended on buying some % anyway), and if you believe he was going to pay you if he cashed, then hell yes. You bought 5%.

Sherman

Pudge714 10-30-2007 04:23 PM

bump

dmk 10-30-2007 04:49 PM

Just meet half-way or something. If he cashed, would you have taken the $? If so, then you bought 5%. If not, then just explain the situation and offer him 2.5% of the cost or whatever. Hell, he might give you a discount on the next tournament you back him in.