Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Moving a dog to a cold climate (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=526972)

RR 10-20-2007 02:16 AM

Moving a dog to a cold climate

I recently moved to Colorado. We have two dogs and one is doing great. The other won't use the bathroom when it is cold out and this is starting to become a real problem. Does anyone have experience with a healthy dog the suddenly wants to poop in the house?

JackInDaCrak 10-20-2007 02:20 AM

Re: Moving a dog to a cold climate

leave him outside until he poos. He's got a goddamned fur coat.

LeapFrog 10-20-2007 02:24 AM

Does he lift his paws off the ground a lot? You could try putting some 'doggie booties' on him.

XXXNoahXXX 10-20-2007 02:29 AM

He'll get used to it. Millions of dogs live in cold climates and are fine. My dog used to go out in a foot of snow and crap and then run around, wouldn't even cry to come in for a while, so obviously they can handle the cold. Just let him deal with it for a while..

ArcticKnight 10-20-2007 02:35 AM

Take it from ArcticKnight, you need to get your dog out walking in the cold. Don't let him get houseboound. The cold weather is just statrting, so the dog needs to get it's lungs adjusted to colder temps and have it's fur thicken as well. Long walks will help this. If you give in now it will be hopeless in the dead of winter.

We have a 5 pound dog that goes out a 40 below. She' only out for about 90 seconds, but she's out.

They poster who mentioned the things for paws is right, they can help, except if it's wet and cold, then they can be even worse, IMO.

XXXNoahXXX 10-20-2007 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take it from ArcticKnight, you need to get your dog out walking in the cold. Don't let him get houseboound. The cold weather is just statrting, so the dog needs to get it's lungs adjusted to colder temps and have it's fur thicken as well. Long walks will help this. If you give in now it will be hopeless in the dead of winter.

We have a 5 pound dog that goes out a 40 below. She' only out for about 90 seconds, but she's out.

They poster who mentioned the things for paws is right, they can help, except if it's wet and cold, then they can be even worse, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

AK,

No.

RR 10-20-2007 02:40 AM

This dig is pissing me off. We take her for walks and then she waits to go in the house. The smaller dog is doing fine in the cold. My wife says the dog doesn't like the cold wind on its butt.

ArcticKnight 10-20-2007 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AK,

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have few things to offer in these threads, but advise on living in a northern climate is one of them. Now if you live in certain parts of Alaska you "might" be north of me, otherwise MYOB.

Golden_Rhino 10-20-2007 03:04 AM

Based on the dude's username, I might be inclined to believe him. You know, just like if you ever had a problem with your pet rhino not getting along with the neighbors cats, you would ask me

ncboiler 10-20-2007 03:06 AM

He will take a [censored] eventually even if he is Siberia. Really. Don't over think this.