Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   About the Forums (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Change to the sidebar: Feedback requested. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=474690)

Mat Sklansky 08-11-2007 12:31 AM

Change to the sidebar: Feedback requested.

The new sidebar is in place on our Translated Books page

and in this test page

I'm hoping everyone agrees this is an improvement and that it shall replace our existing sidebar site-wide by Monday.

Dids 08-11-2007 12:36 AM

Re: Change to the sidebar: Feedback requested.

Dids likey

Leader 08-11-2007 12:38 AM

I like it. perfect

kkcountry 08-11-2007 12:39 AM

It'll stay expanded for as long as I want to (forever) right? If so, it's great!

EMc 08-11-2007 12:41 AM

This is EMc and I approve of this sidebar

edfurlong 08-11-2007 12:41 AM

I am also EMc and I think it looks hot.

jman220 08-11-2007 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dids likey

[/ QUOTE ]

stabn 08-11-2007 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am also EMc and I think it looks hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am run dmc and i like it as well.

tuq 08-11-2007 12:43 AM

Mat,

I think both Clarkmeister and I agree that putting Golf back up by Sports is a very good move (and BTW, thanks a ton for making that forum permanent although I totally would have understood if you whacked it).

Aside from that I concur with its awesomeness, I can finally minimize those annoying strat forums. Also, the indentation of forums names that run longer than the line still is kinda unsightly but I don't know what you could do with it.

kipin 08-11-2007 12:46 AM

Color scheme definitely looks a lot better than the horrible Orange on Teal!

DopamineRelease 08-11-2007 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll stay expanded for as long as I want to (forever) right? If so, it's great!

[/ QUOTE ]

mason55 08-11-2007 01:08 AM

#1) it needs to remember which sections are expanded/contracted between pages AND sessions. it's gonna be super annoying if every time i open my browser i have to contract the sections i don't care about. ideally my sidebar preferences would be saved to my profile (or i could set up defaults to attach to my profile).

2p2's cookie management has shown to be unreliable and it's going to be a headache if the sidebar is messed up all the time due to cookies. a personal default in "Display Preferences" would be a good compromise and save the server a ton of load while still keeping display persistent.

#2) needs to be tested on Safari. when the page loads the arrows are in the closed position but the the sections are expanded. takes 3 or 4 clicks to get everything working right.

i really like the way it looks though.

Kiera 08-11-2007 01:23 AM

It was tested in Safari, and is working as intended.

However, if you are not accepting cookies that could be your issue.

SuperUberBob 08-11-2007 01:25 AM

Totally awesome.

Much easier on the eyes, easier to read and the option to collapse/expand it rocks.

mason55 08-11-2007 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was tested in Safari, and is working as intended.

However, if you are not accepting cookies that could be your issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kiera -

I'm using Safari 2.0.4 (419.3) on a Mac, should be latest build from Software Update. I'm accepting all cookies.

When I load a page with the new sidebar, all the arrows are pointing to the right (ie closed position) but all the links for the forums are all visible. When I click a section heading the first time, the forums below that section heading disappear and the arrow stays in the closed position. A second click does nothing. A third click returns the forum list for that menu and changes the arrow to point down (ie open).

Let me know if you need any more details. It still works, it's just a little screwey.

You did a good job though it looks really really good. TY.

Kiera 08-11-2007 01:33 AM

If you have it expanded, it will stay that way for 60 days, or until you delete your cookie for the site.

At that point, with one click, you can use the Expand All link to get it back to how you want it.

Kiera 08-11-2007 01:40 AM

OK I tested on Safari 3.0.3(522.15.5) for Windows and was really hoping it was a cookie issue [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I suspect the function to load the menu with the remembered settings isn't happening for you. Can you double check that you do in fact have the latest mac version?

mason55 08-11-2007 01:48 AM

Yup, I'm running the latest release version. I can install the Safari v3 beta later and post my results or anything else that you think might help (I'm a programmer and I don't mind poking around a little to help out 2p2 and other Safari users)

iSTRONG 08-11-2007 01:50 AM

i liiiiiike.

Kiera 08-11-2007 01:53 AM

Let's continue the discussion in PM, thanks for the help!

kassdog 08-11-2007 01:54 AM

I'm not a fun but i understand the change. With the way I look through to plus to I just am going to have it expanded the whole time anyways so no real big change for me.

KotOD 08-11-2007 03:34 AM

Nice. No more German or French forums!

diebitter 08-11-2007 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It'll stay expanded for as long as I want to (forever) right? If so, it's great!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the cookie to retain the setting is for a year or something (I worked on this a good few months ago, so forgive the vagueness). That long enough?

EDIT: My bad, it's 60 days.

diebitter 08-11-2007 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
#1) it needs to remember which sections are expanded/contracted between pages AND sessions. it's gonna be super annoying if every time i open my browser i have to contract the sections i don't care about. ideally my sidebar preferences would be saved to my profile (or i could set up defaults to attach to my profile).

[/ QUOTE ]

It does remember, but it will be machine-based, not profile-based. The cookies used are distinct from the rest of the cookie stuff in 2+2.

amplify 08-11-2007 04:56 AM

It's like a freshly swaddled infant.

1p0kerboy 08-11-2007 09:52 AM

Me like.

samsdmf 08-11-2007 11:17 AM

If the closed tabs stay closed everytime I log back on then this is A+

Jurollo 08-11-2007 11:30 AM

High Stakes MTT isnt on there.

mikecrooks 08-11-2007 01:07 PM

Sucks

All 2plus2 updates do.

metsandfinsfan 08-11-2007 02:12 PM

much better

so we not going to v-bulletin if you are still doing updates with ubb?

Ribbo 08-11-2007 03:04 PM

Each forum should be forced to pick a member to represent the forum for them. Stick everyone in a MTT and the order of bustout chooses the order the forums are represented in the sidebar. First out at the bottom of course, which will be Micro Stakes NL obv [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thremp 08-11-2007 03:39 PM

Nice

metsandfinsfan 08-11-2007 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Each forum should be forced to pick a member to represent the forum for them. Stick everyone in a MTT and the order of bustout chooses the order the forums are represented in the sidebar. First out at the bottom of course, which will be Micro Stakes NL obv [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome

Conspire 08-11-2007 07:05 PM

I like it, u wont have to be scrolling up and down to get to certain forums that u want to view.

Falc 08-11-2007 07:46 PM

Concept is good but will one be able to change it's (only the sidebar) colors? I'd like it a bit darker than on the testpage.

RoundTower 08-12-2007 02:45 AM

It would be sweet if the top group was a customizable "my forums".

Silent A 08-12-2007 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I go back to the test pages (after closing it previously, obviously) it remembers which sections were expanded and contracted.

At least in Firefox anyway.

PokrLikeItsProse 08-12-2007 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does remember, but it will be machine-based, not profile-based. The cookies used are distinct from the rest of the cookie stuff in 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

So no chance, then, of having a sidebar option for only your favorite forums? Oh, well, sidebars feel kind of obsolete with tabbed browsing these days.

Manpriest 08-12-2007 08:33 AM

Very nice.

Dranoel 08-12-2007 08:57 AM

I like.

Can we get some new forums added to the list as well? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]