Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How much would you pay to be on Are you smarter than a 5th Grader? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=345351)

rsk111 03-02-2007 07:21 PM

How much would you pay to be on Are you smarter than a 5th Grader?

I'm sure many have seen this show or at least heard of it. I can't think of a show where it would be easier to make a million dollars.

Here's a link to another OOT thread about it for those unfamiliar with the show.
Link

Let's say that a producer calls you up and says that you can be their next contestant if you pay $X. What is the maximum $X you would pay to be on the show. Consider tax implications and all other costs in your response (e.g. family bugging you for money, "cost" of potentially being embarrassed on TV, etc.) in your response.

asofel 03-02-2007 07:24 PM

Re: How much would you pay to be a contestant...

Given what I've heard some of the questions to be, I'd probably lose. Sorry for not knowing about you Andrew Johnson....

If there was somehow a guarantee it wouldn't be stupid [censored] memorization of facts you only ever learn in gradeschool, and something better like how to write really awesome sentences, and stuff, then yeah. Sign me up

rsk111 03-02-2007 07:24 PM

FWIW, I'd pay between 50 and 100K. I think with all the lifelines it's pretty hard to get to less than 100K. And since you can hear the 200K question before deciding to proceed, my EV is at least 100-200K. Probably significantly more, but I'm risk averse so if offered this in real life I'd pay close to 100K.

flo 03-02-2007 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure many have seen this show or at least heard of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

asofel 03-02-2007 07:27 PM

btw, i think it'd be much more interesting if they combined this into "to catch a predator of smart 5th graders" and like, the perv would have a chance to outsmart the kid and earn his freedom...but if the kid was smarter, then the perv gets extra bubba time in prison, or something...

CrazyEyez 03-02-2007 07:28 PM

pollllllllllllllllllltaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard

Bakes 03-02-2007 07:31 PM

never seen this show. however i assume you have to fight one fifth-grader for every question you get wrong?

Bork 03-02-2007 08:12 PM

Re: How much would you pay to be on Are you smarter than a 5th Grader?

I am way smarter than just about any fifth grader, and was when I was a fifth grader too.

However this show obviously is completely rigged. The kids essentially get every question correct. How can every kid know that there are 15 teaspoons in 5 tablespoons. I did know this one, but the point is the kids get them right >90% of the time. They must tell them the questions and answers before hand, or give them a small set to study.

Many of the questions have absolutely nothing to do with intelligence, and are just a matter of knowing some random fact. If you took a group of brilliant NASA scientists, I bet they wouldn't do as well as the kids on this show. There is something wrong with this show.

ElDuque 03-02-2007 08:13 PM

-$5000.

rsk111 03-02-2007 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am way smarter than just about any fifth grader, and was when I was a fifth grader too.

However this show obviously is completely rigged. The kids essentially get every question correct. How can every kid know that there are 15 teaspoons in 3 tablespoons. I did know this one, but the point is the kids get them right >90% of the time. They must tell them the questions and answers before hand, or give them a small set to study.

Many of the questions have absolutely nothing to do with intelligence, and are just a matter of knowing some random fact. If you took a group of brilliant NASA scientists, I bet they wouldn't do as well as the kids on this show. There is something wrong with this show.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be true (i.e., kids seem to do too well). But the way that the show is set up, you want the kids to be right all of the time. The more right the kids are, the better chance the contestant has. (I've yet to see a kid get one wrong). So, this is a good thing.