Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Need to know drop for 1/2 blind NL games in LA for eTable analysis! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=248563)

Rick Nebiolo 10-30-2006 06:05 PM

Need to know drop for 1/2 blind NL games in LA for eTable analysis!

During the last week or so I've played the eTable 1/2 50-100 buy-in at Hollywood Park four or five times, usually after cashing out of the bigger games on the main floor. I enjoy the speed of the game and believe it "feels" far closer to a B&M game than an Internet game. Done right, it has promise (Hint: If this gets in at Mohegan Sun, it's almost a slam dunk.)

That said, it really hasn't caught on at Hollywood Park if you subtract the props, hosts, and quasi-props. Obviously the $4 plus $1 drop is a huge problem, especially when the game isn't a donkfest, which is the usual case with so many experienced players checking it out. As an aside, I actually had the morbid curiouty to stay in a tight game and personally witness a $5 pot where everything was dropped, but decided it wasn't funny enough to modify this story I posted a while back. Had I done so, I could have exchanged the human dealer for a computer dealer, and made the pot $0 instead of $1. Unfortunately I just watched and grinned at the PokerPro tech guy (we had a previous discussion regarding the problem). Besides, I wasn't the player involved. I wanted to be that player; it would have made the rewrite so easy (BTW, is it possible to plagerize yourself?).

Of course sometimes the game is a donkfest (obviosuly a 1/2 NL game with $5 taken each pot needs to be to survive). Unfortunately, I and a couple others may have come close to busting one of the few remaining super-donks who seems to play the eTable on a regular basis late last night).

Now let's get serious. I'm not sure the PokerPro people are aware that Hollywood Park is on the high end of the drop scale for this game. I already know that the Bike is $3 + $1 jackpot on a full game all the way up to the $100 fixed buy 2/3 blind games. I play bigger at the Bike, Commerce, Hawaiian Gardens, and the Hustler but won't be going to these clubs (except the Bike) for at least a few days.

Within the next week I plan on writing a detailed essay regarding my observations and analysis of what they are doing right and where they are going wrong. I've been in touch with management at PokerPro and at Hollywood Park; despite the usual obstacles I believe there is a reasonable chance that a far better collection system may be put in place with a little prodding (e.g., perhaps a 25 cent per hand drop).

Right now I need to complete my research. I need to know the drops at the other clubs for baby NL in LA (especially the games with 1-2 blinds). If you know please include buy-in (or buy-in range), the blinds (also curious about the super tiny game at Hawaiian Gardens), and drop for a full table. If you know how the drop changes as the game goes short please include this info too.

Once again, the clubs I'm interested in include The Hustler, Commerce, and Hawaiian Gardens. It would also help if you include an estimate of the number of games going at this limit on a typical weeknight, weekday, weekend or whatever. Keep in mind I already know the collection for 1/2 blind NL games at Hollywood Park, The Bike and Crystal Park.

Thanks in advance for any help.

~ Rick

Bulbarainey 10-30-2006 06:14 PM

Re: Need to know drop for 1/2 blind NL games in LA for eTable analysis

Hustler 1/2 is $50 max buy-in, $3 drop + $1 jackpot drop, and the rake goes down $1 when it gets to six players, but im not sure if it drops more than that when it gets 5 handed.

I actually dont think commerce does have a 1/2 NL, i think its 1/1 $40 max, but either way the 100 game is 2/3 and 3+1.

HP has the worst rake in town on just about every game, and that's why I don't play there. Even though its the closest place to school, I drive extra to go to hustler or normandie.

Rottersod 10-30-2006 06:27 PM

Re: Need to know drop for 1/2 blind NL games in LA for eTable analysis!

I just called and found out that the Hustler and Commerce for their 1/2 NL games are 3+1. The $20 NL at HG ($20! what a fest that must be) is $2 + .5 for 7-9 players; $1.5 + .5 for 6 players and $1 + .5 for 5 and below.

Rick Nebiolo 10-30-2006 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The $20 NL at HG ($20! what a fest that must be) is $2 + .5 for 7-9 players; $1.5 + .5 for 6 players and $1 + .5 for 5 and below.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info.

I actually played that game for a couple hours a year or so ago after racking up in a much bigger game.

It was around 1:00 am on a weekend night and I look out to see fog so thick that you couldn't see your hood ornament (if you had one, I don't). So I decide to kill enough time to get the drunks off the road and wander behind the bar into the "donk party" section. I sit down in a mixed-sex game where I look like the creepy old man by comparison. I buy in for the fixed $20 and triple up on one pair shortly after. I double up again after spewing off a few chips. Now I have some chips and the table is crazy; there is an average of one rebuy every hand (this is why the chips don't disappear due to drop). So I have one beer but otherwise play my more or less "A" game, to the extent I have an "A" game. I walked out two hours later with about $300 wondering where young kids get so much money. When I was in college even the trust fund types didn't spend like this. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick

mdl 10-30-2006 07:46 PM

HG has the following:

$20 NL table with 1/1 blinds. Drop is $2.00 plus $.50 jackpot.
$40 NL table with 1/2 blinds. Drop is $2.50 plus $.50 jackpot.

I can't remember the drop when the number of players drops since they usually run pretty full tables there when I'm playing.

Rick Nebiolo 10-30-2006 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HG has the following:

$20 NL table with 1/1 blinds. Drop is $2.00 plus $.50 jackpot.
$40 NL table with 1/2 blinds. Drop is $2.50 plus $.50 jackpot.

I can't remember the drop when the number of players drops since they usually run pretty full tables there when I'm playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Note that the smaller jackpot drop makes things it a bit easier to swallow. This combined with the location behind the bar makes it a good party spot for young types wanting to try NL. They just need to make sure creepy old men like me don't play.

Also note they sell real cheap (99 cents) party food tacos, hot dogs and stuff like that) off the cart in the hallway. Good move by HG, they always seem to be packed in this section.

~ Rick

Rick Nebiolo 10-30-2006 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hustler 1/2 is $50 max buy-in, $3 drop + $1 jackpot drop, and the rake goes down $1 when it gets to six players, but im not sure if it drops more than that when it gets 5 handed.

I actually dont think commerce does have a 1/2 NL, i think its 1/1 $40 max...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I always assumed the games upstairs are 1/2 blind. Next time I need a free cop of coffee and I'm not in a game I'll trundle upstairs just to confirm. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
HP has the worst rake in town on just about every game, and that's why I don't play there. Even though its the closest place to school, I drive extra to go to hustler or normandie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is the case in the bigger games but it appears to be true in the smaller games. The PokerPro people need to understand this. Real customers aren't often exclaiming, "Wow, we save a buck not tipping in this 1/2 blind $5 total drop ePoker game!" unless they are delusional or "perhaps" on somebody's payroll.

~ Rick

PS I believe the Normandie 8/16 kill holdem is one of the better games in town around this limit. Even if you don't agree, it's goofy fun to experience an old time cardroom once in a while.

*TT* 10-30-2006 08:25 PM

I just wanted to take a "commercial break" to thank Rick Nebiolo for his research on behalf of the 2+2 B&M forum.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Bulbarainey 10-31-2006 06:01 PM

i just confirmed with a friend of mine the commerce 40 is a 1/2 game... i mustve been thinking of oceans, which is 1/1

AlienBoy 10-31-2006 06:14 PM

Oceans?? What/where is Oceans?

AB