Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   2007 SEC Football Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=488659)

TruFloridaGator 08-28-2007 10:23 PM

2007 SEC Football Thread

About time for some serious weekly discussion, so I thought it would be best for an SEC thread to keep the discussion together better than last year. Also we can just brag how much better we are than every other conference. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyone coming to Gainesville for any games? I'm going to try to head to the LSU game. Wish the Bama/FSU game wasn't the same week as UF/Auburn or I'd go pull on the Tide.

Thu., Aug. 30
*LSU at Mississippi State (7 p.m. CT / ESPN)

Sat., Sept. 1
Western Carolina at Alabama (6 p.m. CT)
Troy at Arkansas (6 p.m. CT)
Kansas State at Auburn (6:45 p.m. CT / ESPN)
Western Kentucky at Florida (12:30 p.m. ET / LFS)
Oklahoma State at Georgia (6:45 p.m. ET / ESPN2)
Eastern Kentucky at Kentucky (6 p.m. ET)
Louisiana-Lafayette at South Carolina (7 p.m. ET / PPV)
Tennessee at California (5 p.m. PT / ABC)
Richmond at Vanderbilt (6 p.m. CT)
Ole Miss at Memphis (2:30 p.m. CT/ CSS)

Gregatron 08-28-2007 11:29 PM

Re: 2007 SEC Football Thread

OMFG -- I have no idea that was coming up Thursday night!

GEAUX TIGERS!!! Haha.

I am really hoping we can live up to our #2 Ranking.

Poor MS State. They are gonna get steamrolled. I kind of like Croon too.

MyTurn2Raise 08-28-2007 11:44 PM

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

barryc83 08-28-2007 11:47 PM

Im going to FSU/Bama, should be a great time, hopefully we dont crumble in the 4th quarter anymore. I dont think that will happen under Saban though. Anyways, yeah I fully expect LSU to clown stomp MSU and cover the 18 or so points easily.

I like Troy +24 @ Ark too. They will win the Sunbelt. Im glad there is an SEC thread, this will be awesome. gl fellas (except UT and AU, I hope you bastards lose every game).

samsonh 08-29-2007 02:37 AM

Hopefully Ut will take it to Cal again this year. The Oline should be quite solid, although our #1rb is suspended for this game. Ainge will likely be better in his second year under Cut but has a largely inexperienced group of WRs(although quite talented). Defense should be solid as usual under Chavis.

Won't be able to watch this game(wedding and traveling) but I expect it will be much closer than last year. If any Cal fans see this thread I'd love to hear about their team.

ChipWrecked 08-29-2007 03:37 AM

Brother-in-law is a Cal grad and very worried about the Vols game.

Didn't get a chance to talk to him much at family gathering this weekend, kids and wives kept interfering!

Maybe with Ainge's hurt finger he'll breathe a little easier.

TruFloridaGator 08-29-2007 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OMFG -- I have no idea that was coming up Thursday night!

GEAUX TIGERS!!! Haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some fan you are. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

TruFloridaGator 08-29-2007 08:24 AM

I hope UT beats Cal, as depressing as it is for me to pull for the Vols. Go SEC!

Austiger 08-29-2007 10:27 AM

The conference should be even more sick than usual. I heard the Mel Kiper said in a radio interview that Vandy could compete for the ACC title this year.

I'll be pulling big time for Tennessee against Cal. We need all the help we can get in the BCS nonsense. Too bad the game is on the same time as the Auburn game. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'm also really interested in the Thur. night game. Will MSU be as bad and LSU as good as everyone anticipates?

RunDownHouse 08-29-2007 10:59 AM

Vandy fans are pretty excited. I'm friends with a guy who played TE from 2000-2004, and he says Nickson looks really good in practice so far, the o-line is the best Vandy has had in years, and Bennet is a consensus all-SEC caliber receiver. Last year they lost 3 SEC games by a combined 11 points.

NozeCandy 08-29-2007 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The conference should be even more sick than usual. I heard the Mel Kiper said in a radio interview that Vandy could compete for the ACC title this year.

I'll be pulling big time for Tennessee against Cal. We need all the help we can get in the BCS nonsense. Too bad the game is on the same time as the Auburn game. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'm also really interested in the Thur. night game. Will MSU be as bad and LSU as good as everyone anticipates?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not quite as high on LSU as a lot of others. They are loaded like always, but with losing that many good players (esp. offensive skill players, I want to see more of Flynn before I really crown this team), are they any less likely to blow a few games again?

TruFloridaGator 08-29-2007 12:52 PM

LSU would be ranked a lot lower if people considered schedules & the brutality of the SEC this year, so there is definitely no crowning them. They could easily lose 3 games as almost any good team in the SEC can this year.

As for Vandy, yes they have a really good team, but a pretty tough schedule with some favorable home games.

They have to play Wake OOC & then a game like @ UF would be winnable at the beginning of the season but I don't see them winning later in the year. They have Bama early at home which is a great spot to build a season around. If they win that game I think they will be bowling because they should win at least one of UGA/UK/@USC/Wake

Gregatron 08-29-2007 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite as high on LSU as a lot of others. They are loaded like always, but with losing that many good players (esp. offensive skill players, I want to see more of Flynn before I really crown this team), are they any less likely to blow a few games again?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm actually more worried about the new offensive coordinator more than I am Matt Flynn. I have a lot of confidence in Flynn -- he is the real deal.

I think there is a more than decent chance for Flynn to be first or second team all SEC this year (it might be touch to beat out Woodson, but I think he is better than Ainge), get drafted in the 3rd to 6th round, and have a long career carrying a clipboard while wearing shoulderpads on Sundays.

The idea that LSU could lose 2-3 games this year is, I hate to admit it, a possibility. This conference is just too tough.

Expectations:

I expect Vandy to go to a well deserved bowl game this year.

I expect McFadden to win to Heisman (barring injury).

I expect Glenn Dorsey to make at least two opposing offensive coordinators cry on the sideline.

I expect Trindon Holiday will endanger my marriage by doing something so spectacular that I scream "HOLY F*CKING SH*T" at least three times this year.

MyTurn2Raise 08-29-2007 03:35 PM

Mel Kiper----hahahahhahahahahhahahahah

guy is such an idiot

while this is probably the best Vandy team of my lifetime, they are still quite a ways from competing for the SEC title.

Jack of Arcades 08-29-2007 03:36 PM

he didn't say SEC Title, he said they could compete for the ACC title

MyTurn2Raise 08-29-2007 04:07 PM

ooops....I'm the idiot too

but, he's still very wrong

TalkingDonkey 08-29-2007 05:34 PM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh C-A-T-S-CATS-CATS-CATS

orange 08-29-2007 05:52 PM

TFG,
I'm making it down to the Troy game with my dad, though not sure if I'll be able to meet up with anyone.

All,
SEC looks [censored] sick this year. Hope all other SEC teams lose to UF this year.

TruFloridaGator 08-29-2007 06:07 PM

Gators' starting LT Phil Trautwein has a stress fracture in his foot, not good [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] At least it's not the right side with Tebow as QB.

No word on how long he maybe out, but he is a True Senior so he would get a RS for next year if it's the season.

barryc83 08-29-2007 11:13 PM

Vandy missed a bowl game with Cutler as QB...they wont make it this year especially with SC coming on and UK being decent for once. East is way too tough for a bad team like Vandy when no one is a pushover. Many predict them to upset Bama, they always play us tight at their place but they aint gonna win. How do we let Earl Bennet get out of the state is beyond me? I'm assuming he's intelligent I guess.

And I like Kiper but win the ACC? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I think Miami and FSU will be solid this year and you know VT is gonna be good. Stop with the Vandy hype.

RunDownHouse 08-30-2007 12:11 AM

barry,

Making a bowl - any bowl - would be an achievement for Vandy and also hardly qualify for "Vandy hype." A .500 record would be an achievement, and hardly qualify as "Vandy hype."

I don't put much stock in the argument that without Cutler, the team can't do anything. My buddy says that 1) Nickson is really good, 2) the O-line is far and away the best they've had in a long time, and 3) everyone on the team hated Cutler like fire, and I believe him on all counts. If the QB position is worse this year than Cutler's senior year - and with Nickson unproven and Cutler an NFL starter, that's hard to argue - virtually every other position is better, including those positions that make life easier on a QB. So I don't think its unreasonable to hope that Vandy can actually play past the regular season this year. That's both something for Vandy fans to be excited about and something that's outside of what you'd typically call "hype."

On a somewhat related note, Vandy season tickets are going like hotcakes this year because all the demand from traveling Bama fans has caused tickets for that game alone to go for more than season tickets. Funny stuff.

ChipWrecked 08-30-2007 02:03 AM

ESPN: "Arkansas.... 4-4 in the SEC. No championship game for them this year."

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'd feel worse about that statement, but then with Houston Nutt at the helm for another year even with DMac in the backfield I don't hold much hope either.

Look for Arkansas' offense to remain Nutt-tacular, i.e.

Run.
Run.
Pass.
Punt.

Considering we have no QB threat, I hope DMac takes at least 50% of the snaps himself this year.

ASPoker8 08-30-2007 04:59 AM

go gators

Percy Harvin is going to do some business this year

sweetwater 08-30-2007 05:37 AM

Going to be an interesting year for us (Auburn)... offensive line needs to come together fast so we can keep Cox healthy

TruFloridaGator 08-30-2007 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
go gators

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh yea man, hopefully he just stays healthy. Urban says he's a 10x better WR this year than last year. We have so many weapons, if the D manages to be OK we could win every game.

Ballzack 08-30-2007 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
go gators

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh yea man, hopefully he just stays healthy. Urban says he's a 10x better WR this year than last year. We have so many weapons, if the D manages to be OK we could win every game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite possibly except for Qct 6th and Dec 1st.

GEAUX TIGERS!

futuredoc85 08-30-2007 06:01 PM

Arkansas wont cover vs Troy. Thats all for now. God I AM [censored] PUMPED!

barryc83 08-30-2007 06:46 PM

RDH-

I understand that going to a bowl would be huge for Vandy and I meant hype relatively, like hype in this thread ("watch out for Vandy" yada yada). Here's their schedule, pick the 6 wins.

Richmond
Alabama
Ole Miss
Eastern Mich
@Auburn
Georgia
@South Carolina
Miami (OH)
@Florida
Kentucky
@Tennessee
Wake Forest

TruFloridaGator 08-30-2007 07:09 PM

Richmond, Ole Miss, Eastern Michigan, Miami

I think they win 2 of UGA,UK,WF,Bama.
It's a tough schedule though so certainly no lock.

ChoicestHops 08-30-2007 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ESPN: "Arkansas.... 4-4 in the SEC. No championship game for them this year."

I'd feel worse about that statement, but then with Houston Nutt at the helm for another year even with DMac in the backfield I don't hold much hope either.

Look for Arkansas' offense to remain Nutt-tacular, i.e.

Run.
Run.
Pass.
Punt.

Considering we have no QB threat, I hope DMac takes at least 50% of the snaps himself this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what to expect. Maybe we will see some Wildcat formation with D-Mac. I expect to be 4-4 if the passing game is not in sync. Dick sucks, Monk is hurt and won't play for Troy, Kentucky, and possibly Alabama. Defense is iffy too with some of these guys we lost.

Nutt gets a lot of bad press and negative attention here but I think it's unwarranted. Mustain sucked ass and was really overrated. Dick wasn't getting the job done most of the year so of course we are going to run the hell out of them with D-Mac.

futuredoc85 08-30-2007 08:23 PM

2nd time titus brown has completely blown his assignment

TruFloridaGator 08-30-2007 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2nd time titus brown has completely blown his assignment

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if MSU could do a few things right, they'd be winning this [censored].

futuredoc85 08-30-2007 08:51 PM

henig is going to kill the running game if he cant present any threat whatsoever through the air

VayaConDios 08-30-2007 08:59 PM

WTF I used to like Matt Flynn before he took that punk ass dive a yard in front of the first down marker.

futuredoc85 08-30-2007 09:06 PM

wow@ holliday's (sp.?) wheels

TruFloridaGator 08-30-2007 09:07 PM

Damn you, Early.

TruFloridaGator 08-30-2007 09:24 PM

If MSU had a QB, they'd be pretty damn good.

futuredoc85 08-30-2007 09:26 PM

they're going to upset someone this year. dont think it will be tonight though

TruFloridaGator 08-30-2007 09:31 PM

He's single handily losing the game for them.
The defense has been out there the whole game.

LSU's oline is really poor. VT is going to have a field day.

JackWhite 08-30-2007 09:34 PM

Did Craig James just talk about how the clock stops after a first down unlike last year? And Fowler said "yeah just like in 2005." I think they are a little confused.