Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ask Sooga about being a high school math teacher.. ugh (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=70592)

Sooga 03-25-2006 05:27 PM

Ask Sooga about being a high school math teacher.. ugh

I guess I'll jump in on this 'ask...' stuff. Ask me anything that may have crossed your mind about the teaching profession and I'll try to answer it the best I can. Granted, I've only been teaching 3.5 years, but I guess that's better than nothing.

jason_t 03-25-2006 05:29 PM

Re: Ask Sooga about being a high school math teacher.. ugh

Do you have a degree in mathematics? What's the certification process in California?

theweatherman 03-25-2006 05:30 PM

Why would you ever even consider teaching high school?

Sooga 03-25-2006 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you ever even consider teaching high school?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two reasons: July and August.

Sooga 03-25-2006 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a degree in mathematics? What's the certification process in California?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I have a major in math. I heard some scary statistic that something like 25% of high school math teachers don't have a major OR minor in math. Don't know how reliable that stat is, but it does sound about right, based on the math teachers I've been colleagues with.

The certification process used to be you could just get your Bachelor's degree, take a couple of 'teaching' classes, and get your credential. Now with Bush's 'No Child Left Behind' mandate, you have to jump through a LOT of different hoops to get your credential. Bachelor's, then about 4 semesters of work to get your preliminary credential, then 2 more years of something called BTSA (Beginning Teacher something something) to get your clear credential, which is basically a 'real' credential. You then renew that every 10 years. I'm currently in the BTSA program, and let me tell you, suicide isn't looking like too bad an alternative right now. It's not hard work, but it's just busy useless crap work, that when piled upon the crap I already have to do makes life very bad.

Green Kool Aid 03-25-2006 05:37 PM

how many hours do you honestly put in per week with grading, preparation etc. included. do you coach any sports?

Sooga 03-25-2006 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how many hours do you honestly put in per week with grading, preparation etc. included. do you coach any sports?

[/ QUOTE ]

No sports, but I'd like to try to get into doing basketball or baseball if I could.... As for each week grading/preparation, I'd say it averages out to about an hour a day extra.

Homer 03-25-2006 05:40 PM

1) What classes do you teach? Which classes would you like to teach?

2) If I sat in on a typical class, what would I see (how much time do you spend lecturing, what activities do you give to students, etc)?

3) Are you constantly surprised by the lack of mathematical ability possessed by your colleagues? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Green Kool Aid 03-25-2006 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No sports, but I'd like to try to get into doing basketball or baseball if I could.... As for each week grading/preparation, I'd say it averages out to about an hour a day extra.

[/ QUOTE ]

and school day = 6 hours in cali?

Homer 03-25-2006 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and school day = 6 hours in cali?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably more like 7 hrs.