Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Conquering Flaws (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=173365)

MrTimCaum 07-28-2006 08:21 PM

Conquering Flaws

As I mentioned in my last installment that low stakes poker can be exceedingly frustrating, - so much though - that I began to buy in to the biggest game that I could find with only one minimum buy-in. If in fact I had $200 I bought into a $20-$40 game where I only had 10 small and 5 big bets. No matter, it is just about the quality of cards coming into the pot - and the players not staying for the duration of the hand - that I made this move.

The first time that I played $20-$40 I actually played the hand badly and probably should not have even been in the hand. If it were not for the fact that two of the early players into the pot, just called sucking me in, I would have folded my hand - ace-9 of clubs. When they started raising and reraising, I knew that I was in trouble. Well, I figured it was too late to fold since all my money was already committed.

The flop brought 2 little clubs and the 10 of diamonds. At this point, I knew that the two slow players had to have kings and aces but since the board was not paired I was drawing to the (nut) best hand and I was running out of money as well.

The turn card brought the unpaired jack with the loveliest club attached to it. The river brought a brick and I was home free with a huge pot to go along with it. I took and out button - right away - to eay my free meal (steak and potatoes) and enjoyed the ambiance of the losing players wanting their money back.

Even though I got away with playing badly this is the kind of thing that happens all the time in these poker games. Some person like me sits down with a meager buy-in plays ace-9 against aces and kings and drags the pot, I said, "and drags the pot".

If you were to ask me how I rate myself amongst the best card players, you would find that I would give you the proper response. Unless they change, the rules of the game for limit poker, where they best hand wins most of the pots, I can beat anybody as evidenced on how many different people win these major tournament events.

As I said before, being a dealer has its benefits such as watching any numbers of the best players in the world play all kinds of games. However, I will say this; at this point the type of game you play is relevant. The format works better if the game is limit poker - for all practical purposes - because it affords the players who amass the most chips early to play winning tournament strategy - get a big chip lead and hold on until the final table.

I can acknowledge a player that has the intestinal fortitude, knowledge - and most of all - the nerve, to pull the trigger. This last part is especially important since it's speaks of the winning qualities common in most winners in any endeavor. The winners almost always have a low "FEAR" tolerant, which allows the pressure to be reversed tgo the other competitor.

However, when a player is good it's important to be a little cautious, but not so much where you jeopardize your chances to win. In addition, what separates the nine competitors from one to nine? I'll tell you a secret: it's a belief in self, preparation, vision of winning and last but not least, Nerve! Never be afraid to WIN!

- Donald W. Woods, Jr.

Gobgogbog 07-28-2006 08:26 PM

Re: Conquering Flaws

What?

keikiwai 07-28-2006 08:29 PM

BEST. POST. EVER.

T-God 07-28-2006 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What?

[/ QUOTE ]

keikiwai 07-28-2006 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quoi?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

JohnnyHumongous 07-28-2006 08:43 PM

Prognosis- bipolar disorder.

AlwaysAir 07-28-2006 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FULL RAKE 07-28-2006 10:19 PM

Am I to understand that:

a) you buy-in to a 20/40 game with 200$

b) you think you are good

?

Subfallen 07-28-2006 10:23 PM

BBV is starting to attract some world-class internetters. Wow.

I'm very impressed.

StupidAcesSigh 07-28-2006 10:23 PM

You sir, have undoubtably, made Donald Woods Sr. quite proud.