Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   50NL: Isolate on button with AJ, flop an ace, get check raised... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=550006)

O.T.G. 11-19-2007 06:28 PM

50NL: Isolate on button with AJ, flop an ace, get check raised...

Villain was about 18/10. I didn't get to my time bank before I timed out, but I still don't know what to think of the small check raise.

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

MP2 ($32.35)
CO ($44.15)
Hero ($56.80)
SB ($11.50)
BB ($17.55)
UTG ($37.80)
UTG+1 ($10)
MP1 ($56.95)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.75</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls $2.25.

Flop: ($6.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $10</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $20.75

TheBad 11-19-2007 06:43 PM

Re: 50NL: Isolate on button with AJ, flop an ace, get check raised...

18/10/? I hate these spots, always feels like i´m folding the best hand. If villain is very aggressive, i 3-bet.

Chargers In 07 11-19-2007 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
18/10/? I hate these spots, always feels like i´m folding the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]These spots are pretty easy actually. An 18/10 is never limping a worse Ace. He's probably not calling a SC OOP knowing it's going to be a HU pot. His most likely holding is a small pair that he'd normally open raise with but just limps after limpers. Sure he could have a draw but those don't make up enough of his range to continue in the hand.

Sounded Simple 11-19-2007 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]These spots are pretty easy actually. An 18/10 is never limping a worse Ace. He's probably not calling a SC OOP knowing it's going to be a HU pot. His most likely holding is a small pair that he'd normally open raise with but just limps after limpers. Sure he could have a draw but those don't make up enough of his range to continue in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

So therefore we are against either a set or an underpair (more probable).
Whats the best line to take then.
- Re-raise then shutdown?
- Let him keep firing and call down?

O.T.G. 11-19-2007 07:38 PM

Anyone have a good line for this situation?

Sounded Simple 11-19-2007 07:44 PM

Check behind on the flop - seriously.

I dont like to bet in position if I wouldnt know how to handle a CR.
If Im betting air then I know I fold
If Im betting a hand way ahead of villans range then I call/reraise depending on situation.

A diamond draw is possible but the pot is small, your hand is marginal so why bloat it?

O.T.G. 11-19-2007 07:49 PM

I check behind sometimes to mix it up and play some pot control, but I bet here because I really didn't expect a check raise. If you bet and got check raised small would you fold, call and see what he does on the turn, or raise it up?

Chargers In 07 11-19-2007 07:52 PM

After thinking about this for a while I think checking behind is the best play. You're not getting value from anything when you bet and a draw is unlikely. 22 and 55 have draws and that's it.

CalledDownLight 11-19-2007 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I'm probably as close to an 18/10 as anyone here and if you fold this vs. me then you might as well just transfer me money. I stick it in here.

Sounded Simple 11-19-2007 08:00 PM

Checking should be the default play rather than the mix up play.

As played without a better read I like a fold.
If he is a smart player he may have realised that a lot of your PFR range here did not include an Ace.

How many hands is the sample over?
He may be an 18/10 smart TAG or if your sample is way off he could be a donk who limps AK or AA PF.

Since there are only two Aces unaccounted for and he "should" raise AQ or AK you can argue for a re-raise and fold to further action if you think he is a thinking player.
Against an unknown I fold.