Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Rock Band (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=443666)

nolanfan34 11-20-2007 07:43 PM

Re: Rock Band

[ QUOTE ]
So no one's really using the mic? I'm curious how they incorporate the singing into the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm excited for this. It's going to be awesome going on XBL and just butchering songs on co-op. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm hoping to become talented enough to play drums and sing at the same time like Phil Collins.

WayAbvPar 11-20-2007 08:02 PM

I have been using the mic, probably to my neighbors' everlasting regret. It is pretty damned fun. Iron Maiden is hard as hell to sing though. Good times.

MrBlue 11-20-2007 08:12 PM

I just tried every instrument. Looks like you can do a solo career play with each one and 4 difficulty levels so this should be interesting.

I was able to play a couple of games on live with a singer but for some reason, I don't hear their voice. Not sure if it's built that way or if there's an option or something.

nolanfan34 11-20-2007 08:42 PM

How hard are the drums? Watching the demos on Rock Band's web site, they look like they'll be hard as hell, but I don't know what difficulty the demo is showing.

MC Chris 11-20-2007 08:52 PM

as i said i can already play the drums, so i jumped right into expert and could keep up pretty well, like 90%+ of the notes even in songs i'd never really heard much before. there are a few kinks for me to work out personally like the location of the certain pads but, all in all it wasn't too bad.

for me it was actually harder in a sense to play on the hard and medium levels, since i couldn't really get into a groove because tons of notes are missing.. you know what i mean?

professormike 11-20-2007 08:56 PM

can i just get the game and use my guitar hero guitar?

Grue 11-20-2007 09:26 PM

how do you "hit the notes" while singing? Someone expand on how this works. Also isn't playing bass pretty damn boring for most songs? Never really bothered with it in GH.

Edge34 11-20-2007 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can i just get the game and use my guitar hero guitar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but then you'd have to play without drums.

I was at my local Best Buy at about 5 or 5:30 tonight and they had plenty of full sets left. I didn't get one because I can't justify the $170 right this minute, but I won't get the game without the full set.

MC Chris 11-20-2007 10:29 PM

yeah the bass is boring, even on expert. the bass in most popular rock songs is a complete joke anyway, which is sad because the bass is such a sick instrument.

vulturesrow 11-20-2007 10:59 PM

I'm too lazy to googletard, can someone tell me how the vocals work in this game?

MrBlue 11-20-2007 11:36 PM

I don't play any instrument and drums are hard as hell for me. I can't pass medium so starting with easy and it's pretty straight forward to get the beat down. Sometimes I do want to throw down more notes than there are on the screen. The pedal is what kills me every time.

MrBlue 11-20-2007 11:39 PM

I only played 1 song with the mic on easy and it was easy to pass the song. Just hit the note and correct breaks and I passed. The game was pretty forgiving since I'm pretty sure I wasn't "AWESOME!" on a lot of the phrases.

In the tutorial it also said that if there's a high note you can't hit, just lower it one octave.

grouchie 11-21-2007 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah the bass is boring, even on expert. the bass in most popular rock songs is a complete joke anyway, which is sad because the bass is such a sick instrument.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it there are no primus songs?

steggy 11-21-2007 02:47 AM

I got it and think the guitar is boring and way too easy. Does it get harder?

EWS87 11-21-2007 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got it and think the guitar is boring and way too easy. Does it get harder?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope

GetThere1Time 11-21-2007 03:14 AM

guitar is kinda easy but the last two tiers are epic. green grass and high tides just schooled me. Barely 5*'d it. Think Freebird without the slow part.

chuckleslovakian 11-21-2007 05:17 AM

Yeah just got through playing this with 3 friends for 5 hours straight. Yeah the guitar might be easy, but it was so much fun playing in a group I didn't care at all.

bogey1 11-21-2007 11:48 AM

Thoughts:
+ Playing drums is awesome.
+ Band mode and the touring system is way, way cool. Much more cool than the single player "tier" levels.
- The drums are just insanely noisy. There's no way I'll ever be able to play this while anyone else is in the house...which means I'll pretty much never play it. You need a room with a door that closes...that's carpeted or has some other way to help deaden the sound.
- Because the drums are noisy, you can't hear the actual drum line from the song very well. Unlike the guitar, where the "clicking" was relatively quiet compared the volume of the music.
- Wish I hadn't played GH3. The guitar lines seem dull in Rock Band by comparison. If I'd just played GH2, they would have seemed fine.
- REALLY wish I hadn't played GH3. The uber-relaxed note timing killed my technique (GH2 and GH1 were tighter). Rock Band is much tighter.

Tinga 11-21-2007 12:27 PM

This game is AWESOME!

I rocked out til about 1am last night with 3 local friends. We cruised through a couple of the cities.

If you live in an apartment, this game is not for you. We tried it at my friends apartment originally, then moved to my house after a while, because it gets pretty loud.

Guitar: I hate the solo buttons. My fingers may be too big for them. I may be using it wrong, but I don't think so. I also hate the top fret buttons. I'm used to the ridges in my old GH guitars. I noticed that when I go for the orange note, my fingers will move down so that my ring finger is on the orange, and pinky is on the fret board. As with the GH3 guitar, this will take some time to get used to.

Drums: Oh man! My brother is a drummer, and was able to hop into Hard/Expert right away. Some of the passages are pretty tough. I almost wish that these drums weren't all "binded" together, and that I could set them up to a position that is more comfortable. It's awkward at times, so that will take some getting used to. I managed to do an OK job at medium.

Singing: At first I thought my microphone didn't work. But then I read the directions, and realized I'm a dumbass. After we got it working, it was pretty fun, and makes this the whole "Rock Band" experience, imo. As long as you realize that you look like a fool, and your friends do too, you can let yourself go and hit some of these notes/passages. We only experimented on Medium with the singing last night. The game really makes you work toward hitting the right pitches/key. You also have to sound out everything like it appears on screen to get a good score.

Things I'm still unclear on:
- How do you activate Overdrive? Does that just work when everyone has reached the top of the left meter? Is there any way we can activate it individually?
- Online multiplayer. How is this working? I tried to get our whole band online last night through my Xbox Live Guest accounts, but when I attempted to bring them all online with me, I was the only one able to get on. Is there a way that I can actually bring on all 4 of us at a time to battle it out with other bands?

Other dislikes:
- The notes on the fret board are too small. I really wish they would have conformed to the GH standards. These thin rectangles are no good.
- I am having a hard time with the HO/PO. Does it exist in this game? There seems like a few good spots to do it, but it doesn't want to work. It's like I have to go back to strumming every individual note (and now that I know how to HOPO properly, I don't want to do that).

hedxcold 11-21-2007 08:03 PM

i only figured out how to activate overdrive on the guitar, and you do that by shaking the guitar, the same way you save a player. couldn't figure it out on drums or mic though.

i never played any guitar hero, so i'm terrible/a spaz and have a hard time with medium on the guitar so far. i'm getting better though

Brocktoon 11-21-2007 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sabotage?

MC Chris 11-21-2007 09:46 PM

it's not bad in sabotage, still no challenge though.

Daliman 11-22-2007 12:02 AM

3 kids under 4, plus a newborn, are going to make this game a real f'n hassle for me to play, especially since I wanna do lotta singing via Xbox live cuz Ghazban will kick my azz if I don't sing for his "band".

Families are rigged.

BTW, how is the singing portion? How well does your/others voices come over Xbox live?

GetThere1Time 11-22-2007 12:12 AM

You voice doesnt come over at all over live. The vocals just cut out if you're off pitch. Dali, how do you fair on expert vocals? I hear they're super strict. I've only done hard vocals myself. I'm barely skimping by the songs I dont know and barely 5*ing the songs I do.

Daliman 11-22-2007 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You voice doesnt come over at all over live. The vocals just cut out if you're off pitch. Dali, how do you fair on expert vocals? I hear they're super strict. I've only done hard vocals myself. I'm barely skimping by the songs I dont know and barely 5*ing the songs I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have the game yet, but I'm a pretty good singer and also very good at mimicking original vocalist tendencies, quirks, etc. I have never actually played a Karaoke game before, fwiw, so I really have little to base anything on. But otherwise, I am pretty well known to be a karaoke whore.

MC Chris 11-22-2007 12:34 AM

how do you plug the drums in? i'm setting up my kit now and i might just be retarded.

bottomset 11-22-2007 12:34 AM

I [censored] despise the guitar part

no hyperspeed is the gayest thing ever(followed closely by the dumb rectangle notes), drums are really fun

MC Chris 11-22-2007 12:45 AM

i have never used hyperspeed on gh2 or 3.. what am i missing, if anything?

MC Chris 11-22-2007 01:00 AM

ya baby, just got 100% on creep hard vocals

MC Chris 11-22-2007 01:01 AM

nevermind about the drums obv just couldn't find the cord in the back heh

MC Chris 11-22-2007 01:43 AM

online play is so fun btw

vulturesrow 11-22-2007 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3 kids under 4, plus a newborn, are going to make this game a real f'n hassle for me to play, especially since I wanna do lotta singing via Xbox live cuz Ghazban will kick my azz if I don't sing for his "band".

Families are rigged.

BTW, how is the singing portion? How well does your/others voices come over Xbox live?

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel your pain man. Im not even anticipating bing this nytime soon, for this very reason. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Ghazban 11-22-2007 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have the game yet, but I'm a pretty good singer and also very good at mimicking original vocalist tendencies, quirks, etc. I have never actually played a Karaoke game before, fwiw, so I really have little to base anything on. But otherwise, I am pretty well known to be a karaoke whore.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're off the hook-- I have a PS3 not a 360.

EWS87 11-23-2007 04:35 PM

i don't understand why they made it impossible to have a 4 person band...there is no individual guitar for sale and the GH guitar doesn't work...what gives

bottomset 11-23-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't understand why they made it impossible to have a 4 person band...there is no individual guitar for sale and the GH guitar doesn't work...what gives

[/ QUOTE ]

the xplorer one works, and I believe the les paul one works as well

xxrod17xx 11-23-2007 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the xplorer one works, and I believe the les paul one works as well

[/ QUOTE ]

bottom set is right...we didnt like the new guitar so we beat it with the les.

rank system for online play owns....

WilliamLowe 11-24-2007 01:05 AM

Picked it up today finally. I've been playing video games for 18 years, and there just isn't any other video game experience that lives up to rocking out with a full band on this game. We're having a dozen or so people over for a late Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, and I can't wait...it'll be like a concert in my living room.

Also, it's crazy how much better this game looks then GH3. Especially w/ regards to the animations on the singer and drummer. GH3's animations look almost mechanical at times, everything on this game is smooth and pretty much spot on w/ the rhythm.

KneeCo 11-24-2007 07:11 PM

Played this last night at a friends place.

* We used a second guitar he had from GH2 as the bass.

* It was a lot of fun.

* I found the guitar a lot easier on easy/med than GH is on easy/med.

* Agree that its not for apts, it gets loud.

* Singing is fun, but I find the little "yellow" sections where you get extra points for saying whatever kind of weird (although friends were getting into it, throwing in woos and such).

* We found that you don't need to be accurate in the words, just like the timing of making noise and the pitch. You can get "awesome" just saying Ooooh and Aaah the right way when you should be saying words. Of course that isn't as much fun.

* Drums was my favorite part by far, it was really good, I could do it well on easy by the end, but on medium I had trouble when the pedal got really involved.

* I didn't like that they cut out the swearing. Seeing "You're so very special" on the lyrics line for 'Creep' was sad, but like I said, you can slip [censored] in there and not lose points.

* Friend bought the game yesterday morning, and we played last night from like 1030-1. By 1 the rims around the drums were scuffed up pretty good, but I guess thatll happen when you have a bunch of drinking drummers who haven't ever played the instrument.

* It's just too damn expensive or I'd pick it up, still b/w GH @ 100 and this at like 170, I think this is a better value.

* I had trouble getting the guitar to recognize when I was moving it up to use star power or whatever.

MC Chris 11-24-2007 11:37 PM

yeah what's up with that? i can't get star power to activate with the new guitar. have to hit that dumb button. sucks.

MuresanForMVP 11-25-2007 12:00 AM

I think having someone sing for this game is one of the dumbest things ever. Who would want to do that?