Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   About the Forums (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   How to use VBulletin (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557168)

iron81 11-29-2007 11:44 AM

How to use VBulletin

As the sticky says, we'll be switching software in a few days to VBulletin. The interface will be very different and we will likely miss many of the functions that we're used to in UBB.

I was hoping to solicit tips for neat stuff we can do in the new software. We can get started with people who use VBulletin at other forums, but I figure this thread will pick up as we start exploring the new software. Questions that come up about how to use VBulletin's features are welcome as well.

mbillie1 11-29-2007 11:57 AM

Re: How to use VBulletin

will it suck as much as the last time they switched?

what's wrong with UBB?

UBB FTMFW

DING-DONG YO 11-29-2007 12:02 PM

mbillie, I just want to drop in and say you're my favorite poster now.

XOXOXOXO

StevieG 11-29-2007 12:38 PM

vB pwns UBB, if only for Search

iron, a "Meet vB" post would probably be a good thing.

here are some cool things about vB right off:

Search is much easier and straightforward

It is possible to send PMs to multiple people - they essentially work like private threads.

There is a built in download function for PMs.

There are suggestions for related threads at the bottom of the thread you are reading.

Quotes include reference to quoted poster.

niss 11-29-2007 12:39 PM

Can I send a virus to BluffThis by PM that prevents him from posting on any message board ever again?

StevieG 11-29-2007 12:40 PM

niss,

no, but there may be a mod for vB that allows this

mbillie1 11-29-2007 12:43 PM

Pros and Cons of vB and UBB

vB
Pro: search feature, multiple-PM-recipients, etc
Con: THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA

UBB
Pro: everyone is already using it and it's working fine
Con: none

StevieG 11-29-2007 12:46 PM

mbillie,

UBB is way overtaxed for this volume of activity. It is not working fine.

kylephilly 11-29-2007 12:49 PM

verybad vs ultrabadbeat

metsandfinsfan 11-29-2007 12:53 PM

the standard on VB is not to nest quotes, but i know it can be programmed to

Pudge714 11-29-2007 12:53 PM

I'm with mbillie I know nothing about the software, but I think I know what I am talking about and am afraid of change.

mbillie1 11-29-2007 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with mbillie I know nothing about the software, but I think I know what I am talking about and am afraid of change.

[/ QUOTE ]

this basically sums up my position lol

StevieG 11-29-2007 12:58 PM

verifiableBenefits vs. unreliablyBeenBusto

BluffTHIS! 11-29-2007 01:01 PM

iron,

Are you going to set a line and book action for the transition going off smoothly? I sure hope so.

RoundGuy 11-29-2007 01:02 PM

Quit whining, you pussies. (Yeah, I'm scared too)

KitCloudkicker 11-29-2007 01:15 PM

i am frightened of change. hold me

*TT* 11-29-2007 01:26 PM

afraid of change guys - its probably 1:8 that you have used a vBulliten forum before, its probably the most popular forum on the net for large sites. UBB is dead, vB is the king - long live the king!

PS: I've seen the new forum, it rocks. Sadly its missing wood paneling but it still rocks!

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 01:42 PM

What's great is that vB is really intuitive from the user's perspective. People used to UBB should have no trouble picking it up. But I will be available for help, updating of FAQs, etc.

Spechel EDD 11-29-2007 01:46 PM

ill be okay if someone makes a skin that makes it look like 2+2 does now

Rottersod 11-29-2007 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mbillie,

UBB is way overtaxed for this volume of activity. It is not working fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to be working fine for me and me pals.

Rottersod 11-29-2007 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
afraid of change guys - its probably 1:8 that you have used a vBulliten forum before, its probably the most popular forum on the net for large sites. UBB is dead, vB is the king - long live the king!

PS: I've seen the new forum, it rocks. Sadly its missing wood paneling but it still rocks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've used many forums with VB and I haven't been too impressed. What I like about UBB is it's simplicity. It doesn't try to do too much but it still has enough bells and whistles to satisfy me. I guess I just want to read and respond to posts. I'm not interested in sending thousands of PM's, having animated avatars, etc, etc, ad nauseum. Oh well, it's too late now.

THEOSU 11-29-2007 02:01 PM

as long as we'll be able to inline post naked women i'm ok with the transition

adanthar 11-29-2007 02:09 PM

UBB has the worst administrative features imaginable and I'm gonna be so glad it's gone. if you think it's okay now, try banning somebody.

(haw haw)

MrWookie 11-29-2007 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can confirm that the new vB will have ported versions of the Infopop (aka default), Green Day, and Frosted skins. They won't look exactly the same, but they should be close enough to keep many of the people scared of change happy. You'll have to ask Ryan if he's planning on porting any more. The three new vB-only skins I've played with are all very nice, though, and they're big improvements over any of the old (current) skins.

markksman 11-29-2007 02:18 PM

I am so happy. I am a big fan of Vbulletin. Run 5 VBulletin sites myself. UBB is not bad, but I just am much more comfortable with VBulletin.

Clever Nickname 11-29-2007 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rootabager 11-29-2007 02:34 PM

What is another forum that uses VB so I can look at it?

Our House 11-29-2007 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is another forum that uses VB so I can look at it?

[/ QUOTE ]
www.vbulletin.org - their modification site
www.forum.usgamers.net - mine [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Skin choosers are on the bottom left.

T-God 11-29-2007 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can confirm that the new vB will have ported versions of the Infopop (aka default), Green Day, and Frosted skins. They won't look exactly the same, but they should be close enough to keep many of the people scared of change happy. You'll have to ask Ryan if he's planning on porting any more. The three new vB-only skins I've played with are all very nice, though, and they're big improvements over any of the old (current) skins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wild Large Font please?

(Not kidding btw, I really like it)

Our House 11-29-2007 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wild Large Font please?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was also a big fan of the large font skins (getting old and eyesight is slipping) for a while. If you use Firefox, it's not really necessary though. Ctrl+mousewheel should do the trick.

T-God 11-29-2007 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wild Large Font please?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was also a big fan of the large font skins (getting old and eyesight is slipping) for a while. If you use Firefox, it's not really necessary though. Ctrl+mousewheel should do the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well tbh, the 'large font' part isn't the most important part to me

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 02:54 PM

We're probably not going to work on creating large font styles in the future, as browsers tend to support changing text size in more ways all the time.

We can work on other types of styles, though. Hopefully one of the differences people notice most is that our ability to switch things around and refine the site is much improved with vB. I think most are going to find a style they like in the initial set, but we'll definitely still take a few popular requests.

xorbie 11-29-2007 02:55 PM

Much easier as a mod to split and merge threads.

MrWookie 11-29-2007 02:58 PM

Here's a screenshot w/ the ported infopop skin. It's not the default anymore, but hopefully it assuage some of you who are scared of change.

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8...oforom2.th.png

Our House 11-29-2007 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We're probably not going to work on creating large font styles in the future, as browsers tend to support changing text size in more ways all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I totally forgot that the latest IE supports font changes.

It uses a different method than FF IIRC. I think it changes the size of everything (not just fonts).

Our House 11-29-2007 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8...oforom2.th.png

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks sweet.

Claunchy 11-29-2007 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Durron's Dark please?

[/ QUOTE ]

mbillie1 11-29-2007 03:28 PM

I'm pretty much gonna bury my head in the sand when you guys change this [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Ryan Beal 11-29-2007 03:34 PM

It's actually set to look and work much like the current 2+2 when it comes to posting. In fact many things mentioned as being important to those against change are easier in vB. Posting, quick replies, editing and PMs all have slicker usability. The ajax features involved with some of that are nice.

Give it a try after the switch and let us know what we can improve.

Our House 11-29-2007 03:44 PM

Ryan, don't sweat it. The change is happening Sunday, right? Tell these guys to post again on....say...Tuesday and see if they feel the same way they do now.

vB >>>>>>> UBB