Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Double Major? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=526697)

jman3232 10-19-2007 04:43 PM

Double Major?

Right now I am at the University of Illinois and have sophomore standing as a Freshman. I'm currently in their business school and majoring in finance, but I have time to get a double major. Would a double major in statistics or actuarial science be more beneficial? I have pretty much limited it down to those two.

SlowHabit 10-19-2007 04:47 PM

Re: Double Major?

Computer Science ftw.

jman3232 10-19-2007 04:51 PM

I'm pretty sure thats in the School of Engineering, which is pretty hard to get into, and I don't know if you're allowed to be in business and engineering.

Phone Booth 10-19-2007 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right now I am at the University of Illinois and have sophomore standing as a Freshman. I'm currently in their business school and majoring in finance, but I have time to get a double major. Would a double major in statistics or actuarial science be more beneficial? I have pretty much limited it down to those two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Statistics would be helpful. Applied Math would be better.

john kane 10-19-2007 04:56 PM

go for anything math based. banks love maths graduates (and comp sci).

T50_Omaha8 10-19-2007 05:02 PM

Actuarial science and finance would probably have a lot of overlap.

To be honest I don't really understand the value of majoring in actuarial science. I passed the first couple actuarial exams with an econ degree and math minor, and maybe a week of hard studying for each. And once you can pass the first couple exams, your major is irrelevant.

See if you can minor in computer science without being in the school of engineering. An huge number of entry jobs want computer skills like C++ and VB.

SlowHabit 10-19-2007 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To be honest I don't really understand the value of majoring in actuarial science. I passed the first couple actuarial exams with an econ degree and math minor, and maybe a week of hard studying for each. And once you can pass the first couple exams, your major is irrelevant.

See if you can minor in computer science without being in the school of engineering. An huge number of entry jobs want computer skills like C++ and VB.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you meant value-betting.

maxtower 10-19-2007 05:37 PM

The answer to this question depends a lot on what you want to do after college. If you want a job at a normal company, its probably overkill to get two majors. Your time would be better spent either graduating early (and therefore more cheaply) or really putting in more effort to get better grades.

If you are getting As anyway because you are smart, and the extra courses wouldn't delay your graduation or prevent you from doing an internship, then sure go for it, but I would rather spend the extra time partying.

SunOfBeach 10-19-2007 07:10 PM

Statistics is WAYYYY more useful, imho. Of course, I run a statistical consulting firm [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. But seriously, you could use stats/finance to get to Wall St, in theory (assuming you'd be interested in that). Actuarial science ain't gonna get you there...

jumbojacks 10-19-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you meant value-betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

VB can be very valuable. It's a great language to quickly prototype a design/model. Obviously no one is going to use it seriously in a production environment.