Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Backwards or forwards? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=532466)

jogsxyz 10-29-2007 03:35 PM

Re: Backwards or forwards?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be bored stiff as the smartest man in 1000 BC, I'm certain of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could warn the Trojans not to let that horse into the gates.

vhawk01 10-29-2007 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would not go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pussy.

vhawk01 10-29-2007 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be bored stiff as the smartest man in 1000 BC, I'm certain of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could warn the Trojans not to let that horse into the gates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and then watch duels or horse races or hunt foxes or some crap for the rest of my life. WOOT!

Borodog 10-29-2007 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would not go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pussy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the reason I would not go.

vhawk01 10-29-2007 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would not go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pussy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the reason I would not go.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

madnak 10-29-2007 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've got more confidence in humanity than I do vhawk. Not only would I bet mankind is extinct in 3000 years, I'd be willing lay odds on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take any odds! Hey, if I'm around to collect then I'll definitely win the bet.

I think it's highly probably that the minimum quality of life in 3000 years is better than the maximum quality of life today. The relative quality might be off, but I don't think I'm concerned with that the way many people are. Honestly though, my curiosity is the main reason. I can't wait to see what kinds of things we'll come up with next! Even if it is dystopian regimes...

Mr_Moore 10-29-2007 05:21 PM

5007 ftw yihaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

vhawk01 10-29-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You've got more confidence in humanity than I do vhawk. Not only would I bet mankind is extinct in 3000 years, I'd be willing lay odds on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take any odds! Hey, if I'm around to collect then I'll definitely win the bet.

I think it's highly probably that the minimum quality of life in 3000 years is better than the maximum quality of life today. The relative quality might be off, but I don't think I'm concerned with that the way many people are. Honestly though, my curiosity is the main reason. I can't wait to see what kinds of things we'll come up with next! Even if it is dystopian regimes...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, totally agree. I'm willing to gamble it up.

madnak 10-29-2007 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you have to consider that if you go forward far enough, you may be able to live practically forever. immortality or close to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this justifies Boro's response. If you're a futurist, you believe the singularity (and this immortality) will come in only a few decades. In you go into the future, you may miss the singularity and be hopelessly behind. It's better to be here for the singularity and potentially be able to enhance yourself and keep up, maximizing your potential. Thus, if you expect a technological singularity to happen within your lifetime, the best response may indeed be to simply stay where you are.

Thug Bubbles 10-29-2007 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Backwards thirty years. Make a fortune.

[/ QUOTE ]

if that's the case, you can simply go back a few years and pump all your money into Google/Amazon/et al.