Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Was I wrong to make this call preflop? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=391272)

DMC0627 04-29-2007 03:13 PM

Was I wrong to make this call preflop?

I am a new player and have a question for the board. I was playing in a live low limit (4-8) hold em game and came in and posted in the cutoff. The UTG player raised, and all but 2 players called.

I looked down at 35 of diamonds and called, since I was already in for one bet and I was in position and the pot looked like it was going to be a good one. The flop was perfect, 335. Better yet, the turn was a 5, giving me quads, and 3 other players full houses.

The UTG player had pocket aces, and there were pocket kings and tens in the hand paying me off. The majority of the table started telling me what a bad play I made to call preflop, etc. etc. The woman with tens looked at me and said, do you think you deserved that pot? The table cracked on me for the next half hour, when I foled the next hand some guy said, oh, nothing a good as a 35 this time?

The thing is, if the flop came something like 3 3 k or 55 a I would have hung in with my trips most likely (unsure but likely) to pay off a big pot. Some guy told me I was in big trouble if the flush came in because he would have had a queen high one. I think I may have paid that off too.

So, sorry this is so long, but this is an honest question from a beginner. I think I may have been able to get away from some hands, but not sure, if there was crazy action in front of me and I flopped good but not great. Opinions and are appreciated. Thanks

All_Inn_Aces 04-29-2007 03:16 PM

Re: Was I wrong to make this call preflop?

Wrong forum

DMC0627 04-29-2007 03:18 PM

Which forum then, I am new to the boards too?

Dr_Doctr 04-29-2007 03:19 PM

You're god damn right you would have stayed in had you flopped 'only' trips in this huge pot!! Don't you mean the turn came a 3 to give you quads? (you said turn came 5). You posted in the wrong section by the way - this is the no-limit section. Just ignore those people giving you hassle - they are almost certainly bad players. I would recommend having a look around the small-stakes limit section in these forums - it will really improve your game. And get some books. Best of luck.

BigBadBabar 04-29-2007 03:20 PM

how is it the wrong forum? it's a limit hand and this is the limit forum.

Dr_Doctr 04-29-2007 03:21 PM

Just moved...

cuQa 04-29-2007 03:21 PM

stick to his advice, I mean who else can you trust today if not a guy named Dr_Doctr

tyler_cracker 04-29-2007 03:27 PM

this thread is pretty ridiculous, but this part is hot:

[ QUOTE ]
The woman with tens looked at me and said, do you think you deserved that pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am definitely adding this line to my repertoire.

BigBadBabar 04-29-2007 03:33 PM

lol tyler, lol contextaments

Buzz-cp 04-29-2007 03:34 PM

pf call is fine

Buzz-cp 04-29-2007 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just moved...

[/ QUOTE ]

what goes around comes around

ottsville 04-29-2007 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some guy told me I was in big trouble if the flush came in because he would have had a queen high one. I think I may have paid that off too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never play in a game where a flush beats a full house....

Hello gag account!

DMC0627 04-29-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some guy told me I was in big trouble if the flush came in because he would have had a queen high one. I think I may have paid that off too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never play in a game where a flush beats a full house....

Hello gag account!

[/ QUOTE ]
We would have both been in trouble if someone hit a straight.

br.bm 04-29-2007 05:07 PM

pf call is fine

Man of Means 04-29-2007 05:18 PM

You could either say "It was sooooted" or "boo ya beotches" but obviously the call is standard.

BigBadBabar 04-29-2007 05:20 PM

yes make sure to mention 'soooooted' as it's much better

also make sure after the hand to say 'ship the sherbert, herbert'

jstill 04-29-2007 05:49 PM

so u were the BB and u were getting 15:1 closing the action? Im pretty sure u can call with 53o profitably. Folding 53s here would be not a small mistake. You should call with any suited hand in the BB even not closing the action getting 7:1 or better. I usually call with 5:1 everytime closing the action with any suited hand in the BB online.

this thread made me laugh, be happy people think u "made a bad play and got lucky". When people complain about fish and have no clue about poker themselves and cold call A rag off, and complain without evaluating whether u made a good decision with the information u had in the situations u did u know ur in a good game. Most fish complain anytime they dont win, irregardless of whether the person played their hand correctly or how they should have in that spot or not. These kind of non sensical comments by fish will never stop, dont give a second thought to the barrament.

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S 04-29-2007 06:09 PM

good call.

also you just tilted the whole table on your first hand seated, thats awesome. work with it.

remember - your not at the table to make friends, your there to make money. upsetting people and pissing them off is generally +ev.

Xhad 04-29-2007 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good call.

also you just tilted the whole table on your first hand seated, thats awesome. work with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, this may be one of the most +EV calls you could possibly make at a live table. I'd have called with 45o

Buzz-cp 04-29-2007 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pf call is fine

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto

Shillx 04-29-2007 07:44 PM

The real question is if you call with 53 offsuit [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Buzz-cp 04-29-2007 07:59 PM

shillx your av img is gynormus, resize w/imageshack

buzz

Point Blank 04-29-2007 08:06 PM

what's wrong with calling with any suited hand in this spot (nothing)

lol at
[ QUOTE ]
do you think you deserved that pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear on the TV that any two can win!

DMC0627 04-29-2007 11:12 PM

Thanks to all for the constructive feedback. I did tilt the table and the guy with the aces paid me off several times during the night as did a few others, who just couldn't wait to get into a pot with me. I have a lot to learn here but am starting.

Spurious 04-30-2007 05:30 AM

How bad did they play?
You said there were Kings and Aces involved? How could they both not cap PF ? Omg

Never teach a fish

jstill 04-30-2007 05:34 AM

lol i never even thought of that, how they let it get to u for one bet is beyond me. a good response to " do u think u deserved to win that pot" would have been " maybe not but the people with KK and TT who didnt 3bet preflop and let me see the flop for 1 bet to win 15 definitely deserved to lose that pot" although Id never say anything like this in real life at the tables.

Xhad 04-30-2007 05:42 AM

Sample correct responses:

-"I run hot"
-"Suited!"
-"There are more low cards in the deck than high cards so I had more outs than you."

Seriously, making everyone think you're a fish at the beginning of a session at an already loose table is THE BEST POSSIBLE THING THAT CAN HAPPEN. Exploit it!

BigBadBabar 04-30-2007 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sample correct responses:

-"Suited!"

[/ QUOTE ]

SOOOOOOOOOOOOTED FYP

also acceptable is "I had a feeling" or "I knew it was coming"

Ampelmann 04-30-2007 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-"There are more low cards in the deck than high cards so I had more outs than you."

[/ QUOTE ]
53 has 6 outs to improve, AA only has 2, so AA is a 3:1 dog against 53.

Buzz-cp 04-30-2007 10:19 AM

good stuff, ampel & xhad