Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   can't keep playing when i'm beating the game (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=527246)

eof 10-20-2007 03:15 PM

can\'t keep playing when i\'m beating the game

Does anyone else have this problem? It always happens and I always say I won't do it again and I always do it again.

It's basically like this.. I sit at a good game, am patient, win 2 buy ins and lose all will to continue playing, even though the game is great and I've only been playing 2 hours. (This is live i am talking about, which i play pretty much exclusively).

It used to happen online too, I sit down and win 2 buy ins in 20 minutes and I just can't drive myself to play anymore.

The problem is I play for a living and I cap myself at 5-800 bux a week. I have no problem playing an 8 hour stint if I'm even or stuck.

The thing is I HATE to lose at poker, so once I've won I just leave for a little mental victory or something. I know that isn't the correct thing to do, as I could be making easily twice what I make now.

Like last night, I finally got into this game I have been trying to get into for a while, a total donk fest. 100 buy in, then its 200 buy in after 10pm and its in a bar, and people are drinking.. and I was up 400 in like the first 1.5 hours. I got sucked out and was down to like 250 and I just couldn't stand to be there anymore. But I left after playing like 2.5 hours when my EV was probably like +500 if I stayed till 2 am.

idk how to change it.

chesspain 10-20-2007 03:43 PM

Re: can\'t keep playing when i\'m beating the game

[ QUOTE ]
It always happens and I always say I won't do it again and I always do it again...win 2 buy ins and lose all will to continue playing, even though the game is great and I've only been playing 2 hours...it used to happen online too, I sit down and win 2 buy ins in 20 minutes and I just can't drive myself to play anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is I play for a living and I cap myself at 5-800 bux a week. I have no problem playing an 8 hour stint if I'm even or stuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is I HATE to lose at poker, so once I've won I just leave for a little mental victory or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's sounds like you're really not cut out to play poker for a living. Maybe you should consider getting a different main job, while keeping poker as a presumably lucrative second job?

eof 10-20-2007 04:54 PM

Well I am definitely not cut out to have a regular job. I live a very very frugal life and have been able to save a decent amount of money. I really think I should be playing more tournaments and am in the process of rolling myself online right now so I can do that.

I have been able to sustain myself and save money for over two years, while my living expenses are probably around 1200 a month.

I wouldn't mind working per se but can't think of anything I really enjoy except tutoring/teaching. I don't have a degree though so my options there are limited. The thing I hate about having a job isn't the working but the commitment, I really really value my freedom and am able to travel a lot and I like that. I think once I start playing online for real it will be better because I can play ~20 hours a week in 1-3 hour bursts, which should be plenty.. I don't have any issues playing long tournaments so I can play those as well.

solucky 10-21-2007 06:02 PM

guess you will be dissapointed from the online-poker-world.
Its not so easy win. Maybe you are a looser in your normal live - limits.

jediandimaster 10-21-2007 09:10 PM

very interesting topic...i also do have a motivation problem, seems that 2-3hours winning is the cutmark for me..if i loose, i can play up to 6hours online till i get my moneyback...but if am winning which i do normally till yet i can't play more than 2-3hours, and i am only playing 1 table!
i am pretty a noob, i started to build up a bankroll in microlimits 40days ago, managed to win everyday 22dollars in these nanolimits with 3-5hours playing everyday, now i am playing with a for my limit okay bankroll thx to rakeback and for the last 10days i made 60dollar per hour in average which means 120 everyday cause i cant motivate me to play more than 2hours a day...i am not lazy, i am not burnout...perhaps i am afraid of winning seriously, i dont know...from a normal point of view its crazy dumb, i could make theoretically about 600dollars a day with playing 10hours, which would be 15000 in a month and yeah i would love to have this ammount, for me thats really serious money, but instead of working hard to finish this goal
i play 2hours a day and thats it, although my aim goal 40days ago was to make as much money possible with poker...

modnareno 10-22-2007 06:01 PM

I do the same thing when i play online. When I'm winning, I play 1.5-2.5 hour sessions. When I'm stuck, I'll play for up to 5 hours and will insta quit when i get even. I don't know if its really a big problem though, I'm stilling getting time in anyway? As long as I am playing the same, right?