Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Third-worst sports injury I've ever seen (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=554219)

ChuckyB 11-25-2007 04:07 PM

Third-worst sports injury I\'ve ever seen

1) Napoleon McCallum
2) Jason Kendall

This is #3. It happened on Friday. University of Manitoba Bison Matt Henry in the Canadian University Football championship game

LINKY

He broke his femur in three places and tore up the muscles in his thigh. Fortunately the doctors believe he'll be ready to play next season.

Needle77 11-25-2007 04:10 PM

Re: Third-worst sports injury I\'ve ever seen

That is extremely nasty. But I still have McGahee #1 and Shaun Livingston last year a close #2.

ClarkNasty 11-25-2007 04:12 PM

Where's LT ending Theisman's career?

Needle77 11-25-2007 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually never seen it and don't really want to. A leg breaking does seem like #1 though, clear oversight. It's just when I think of nasty injuries those two come to mind.

TheNoodleMan 11-25-2007 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not even the worst ever on MNF. McCallum's was really brutal.

pirateboy 11-25-2007 04:15 PM

I think this is as bad as the Theissman one. Yuck.

Russ M. 11-25-2007 04:17 PM

Psycho Sid jumping off the second rope shattering his leg FTW

THEOSU 11-25-2007 04:18 PM

wow.

you kinda go "yow" when lower legs do that, but we've all seen it happen, so we just kinda deal.

not upper legs, though. owie.

moayer 11-25-2007 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not even the worst ever on MNF. McCallum's was really brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Dynasty 11-25-2007 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And Dave Dravecky.

moayer 11-25-2007 04:24 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blog...e-injuries.html

Napoleon McCallum. "oh lord...don't look at this if you don't want to see it"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVchNFaUiVc

Matt Williams 11-25-2007 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Theismann's was much worse. A lot of you guys probably weren't even born or very young when LT did it. It wasn't so much the actual injury; it was the sound and the number of replays MNF did.

ChuckyB 11-25-2007 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And Dave Dravecky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony Saunders' arm break was worse to watch than Dravecky's. You could hear the snap when Saunders did it.

Dravecky's does hurt my heart to watch.

TheNoodleMan 11-25-2007 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Theismann's was much worse. A lot of you guys probably weren't even born or very young when LT did it. It wasn't so much the actual injury; it was the sound and the number of replays MNF did.

[/ QUOTE ]
You just made the argument for McCallum's being worse. Theismann's injury is all about hype and the players involved, the injury itself doesn't stand up to McCallum's without all the external factors.

PITTM 11-25-2007 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dave Dravecky.

[/ QUOTE ]

ChuckyB 11-25-2007 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember the sound from Theismann's. I only got to see it from the tape archive at work. (edit: just watched on the link...it's subtle but gross).

That said, nothing will ever erase my mental image of McCallum's knee bent 90 degrees the wrong way. I think since Theismann there have been a number as awful as his (Alou, Ventura, Sid Vicious[or whatever his name was], Ruben Mateo, McGahee, Livingston)

THEOSU 11-25-2007 04:37 PM

i couldn't tell you who, i couldn't tell you when, all i can tell you is that in england something like 15 years ago (maybe even before the premiership) a player suffered a compound fracture on the pitch. from what i recall the goalie went over to check on his teammate, then almost immediately turned and hurled.

i maybe making this stuff up though, i'm not real sure.

sharkstevie 11-25-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i couldn't tell you who, i couldn't tell you when, all i can tell you is that in england something like 15 years ago (maybe even before the premiership) a player suffered a compound fracture on the pitch. from what i recall the goalie went over to check on his teammate, then almost immediately turned and hurled.

i maybe making this stuff up though, i'm not real sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

"David Busst" is his name, hes had 26 operations on his leg and a miracle it wasn't amputated. Theirs a video on youtube but its hard to see the break

BowToYourSensei 11-25-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Psycho Sid jumping off the second rope shattering his leg FTW

[/ QUOTE ]

i was wondering who would bring this up

ChuckyB 11-25-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is extremely nasty. But I still have McGahee #1 and Shaun Livingston last year a close #2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched McGahee again, I had forgotten how awful that was. In my revised list, McGahee will come in at #3, Allen Ray (right eye poked out) #2, and the OP at #4.

kyleb 11-25-2007 04:46 PM

i just squirmed in my chair thinking of kendall's injury. brian roberts had a sickening one too.

ChuckyB 11-25-2007 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

wow.

you kinda go "yow" when lower legs do that, but we've all seen it happen, so we just kinda deal.

not upper legs, though. owie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...the only time I'd really heard of broken femurs was in car accidents. I can't imagine the force it took.

pirateboy 11-25-2007 04:46 PM

Couldn't find Kendall's.

kyleb 11-25-2007 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't find Kendall's.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want to.

Matt Williams 11-25-2007 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You just made the argument for McCallum's being worse. Theismann's injury is all about hype and the players involved, the injury itself doesn't stand up to McCallum's without all the external factors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, are we talking about actual injury severity, or witnessing it on TV? If you are talking about injury severity, Dale Eardhart wins since he was killed. Then the next level would be the guys like Kevin Everrett, Pete Utley, and co. that broke their necks.

Because if you are talking about seeing it on TV when it happened, the guy is still on the ground, and people in the stands are shocked/crying, nothing beats Theismann's injury. Hell, even LT was going apesh!t yelling for the trainers to get to him quick.

ChuckyB 11-25-2007 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't find Kendall's.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know how awful an injury is by the number of replays the broadcast shows -- fewer = more horrific.

I remember watching Kendall's at work. Fox Sports Pittsburgh (I believe it was) showed one replay, then the announcer said something to the effect of "Okay one replay is enough. We won't be showing that ever again."

AngusThermopyle 11-25-2007 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

McCallum's was about a joint bending the wrong direction.
Theismann's was about a leg bending where there was no joint.

Avalanche333 11-25-2007 04:50 PM

The McCallum was horrible.

The one that's haunted me forever was Clint Malarchuk, goalie for the Sabres way back. Just thinking about it freaks me out.

Here's the youtube. But seriously, don't watch.

I should note, he had 300 stitches, and was back practicing again 4 days later, so it wasn't that catastrophic an injury, but just looked horrific.

CrazyPsycho 11-25-2007 04:50 PM

Malarchuk has to be way up there. Just awful.

THEOSU 11-25-2007 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

therefore mccallum almost necessarily has to be more severe.

a joint has like 3000000 (i'm not an anatomist) things that prevent it from bending thataways. a bone is surrounded by muscle.

either way, they both looked pretty painful.

ChuckyB 11-25-2007 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, are we talking about actual injury severity, or witnessing it on TV? If you are talking about injury severity, Dale Eardhart wins since he was killed. Then the next level would be the guys like Kevin Everrett, Pete Utley, and co. that broke their necks.

Because if you are talking about seeing it on TV when it happened, the guy is still on the ground, and people in the stands are shocked/crying, nothing beats Theismann's injury. Hell, even LT was going apesh!t yelling for the trainers to get to him quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going for 'cringe factor' orginally.

In the way that you're judging the the Earnhardt injury, I'd say Greg Moore has him beat. I thought Earnhardt would be okay. I knew Greg Moore was dead the instantly.

CrazyPsycho 11-25-2007 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going for 'cringe factor' orginally.

In the way that you're judging the the Earnhardt injury, I'd say Greg Moore has him beat. I thought Earnhardt would be okay. I knew Greg Moore was dead the instantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, it took me years to find a clip of that. Geoff Bodine at Daytona is pretty gross too.

THEOSU 11-25-2007 04:55 PM

ayrton senna got a piece of debris through the head.

CrazyPsycho 11-25-2007 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ayrton senna got a piece of debris through the head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indy car/F1 wrecks are the worst. Anything where you can see body parts you shouldn't see. Kenny Brack, Stan Fox, Alex Zanardi.

TheNoodleMan 11-25-2007 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

McCallum tore 3 ligaments in his knee, tore his hamstring and calf from the bones and ruptured an artery.

Avalanche333 11-25-2007 04:59 PM

I was at the Greg Moore race. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The absolute two worst automobile crashes are Tom Pryce and Gordon Smiley, and I'm not even looking those up. Just so bad.

Pryce's is a little different. Smiley's is just gruesome.

Exitonly 11-25-2007 05:13 PM

Henrik Larson braeking his tibia by planting his foot is one of the worst i've ever seen video of [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Dynasty 11-25-2007 05:13 PM

Does this count? I think he bruised his kidney.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...hecelldrop.gif

sharkstevie 11-25-2007 05:13 PM

Gilles Villeneuve

His crash is awful, you can see him being flung out of the car into a fence

miajag 11-25-2007 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Malarchuk has to be way up there. Just awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theismann and Dravecky were really terrible, but they aren't even close to this. I hate blood.