Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Late Stage, low M: Push ATo in SB against raise from HJ? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=544652)

Tackleberry 11-12-2007 09:04 PM

Late Stage, low M: Push ATo in SB against raise from HJ?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
612 players started, about 45 remaining, avg. 40k
Blinds: t800/t1600
(Ante: t200)
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t99782
UTG+1: t16626
MP1: t20495
MP2: t16305
MP3: t20197
CO: t8406
Button: t9465
Hero: t17805
BB: t23225

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 raises to t4800</font>, 2 folds, Hero ???

Just saw about 35 hands from Villain, he never stole the blinds, raised 3 hands, never limped. Is this an easy push anyhow - regarding my dwindling stack?

jonnyd 11-12-2007 09:18 PM

Re: Late Stage, low M: Push ATo in SB against raise from HJ?

this isnt necessarily an easy push.
given your read (i read: tightish) this is not automatic.
i would lean towards the pushing side though

gobucks27 11-12-2007 09:21 PM

ehh close one....also leaning towards push though..unless your at a tight table where you think you can pick up some blinds by shoving and buying time while you wait for a better spot..

Tackleberry 11-13-2007 05:35 AM

OK, thanks!

I actually folded - as well as KQ some hands later against the same Villain in a similar situation but went down in chips and finally did not came back into play.

After having busted I was very annoyed about myself for maybe having skipped a situation where I might have doubled up. Glad to here that it was at least close. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Thanks for your answers!

yNnOs 11-13-2007 06:45 AM

You're still getting positive equity (slightly) if his range is 77+,AJs+,AJo+. Clearly, unless you read villain as super-tight, his opening range is wider. You can add in ATs, KQs, KQo, and probably a few other smaller pairs (and never rule out a few more weaker hands). IMHO, this makes it a shove. You're also at a point where you really do need to double thru to make it deeper.

Sykes 11-13-2007 07:51 AM

Stop and go is a viable strategy here.

There is 13k in the pot if you call and 13k in your stack left.

Tackleberry 11-13-2007 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop and go is a viable strategy here.

There is 13k in the pot if you call and 13k in your stack left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - this is definitely a tool which I know in theory but have to train to make actal use of in the given situations. Thanks for the hint!

McMelchior 11-13-2007 03:39 PM

With the antes there's 4,200 in the pot before any action, giving you 6.5 effective BB (measured as 2/3 of pot). Your options are rapidly disappearing, and your FE is at risk.

MP3 can - and should - raise with a very wide range, including "steal" type hands like 55 - 22, A8-AT, KTs, KJ, QJ etc., that he very well might fold to a push.

That you haven't seen him "steal" in the last 3 orbits might signify that he is tight, or it might signify that he had very poor hands or that the situation wasn't right for it.

If you've been raising liberally a stop-n-go is probably a good strategy; if you've been tight a push might work best.

IMHO folding here is way too tight.