Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Who's right? (Dispute with my dad) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=550666)

Bulldog 11-20-2007 02:48 PM

Who\'s right? (Dispute with my dad)

Back in July, my parents went on a two-week mission trip to Peru. They have three dogs and they live about 20 minutes away from me. I agreed to take care of the dogs and other general house-sitting duties (mail, newspapers) at no charge. They are my parents, after all.

One night my fiancee went out with her sisters so I just stayed at the house and slept there, in the recliner. I wear contacts and have glasses for late night/first thing in the morning. I took off the glasses and put them on the table next to the recliner. In the morning when I woke up, the youngest dog had destroyed the glasses, chewing the earpieces and lenses.

When they got back, I told my mom about it and she said they'd pay for a replacement pair. I held off because my bi-annual eye exam was in October, and I wanted to wait until after any change in prescription to get them. It's annoying not having glasses, but I managed.

Fast forward to present day. I went to Costco and got the cheapest glasses I could--$40 frames, $90 total. I stopped in at my dad's drycleaners today and told him he owed me the $90. Well, he's not paying. He thinks it is my fault for leaving the glasses where the dog could get them.

Who should pay?

WHEN_WE_ESCAPE 11-20-2007 02:49 PM

Re: Who\'s right? (Dispute with my dad)

Should be who is worse, you or your parents, for arguing over $90 when it comes to family.

traz 11-20-2007 02:49 PM

wow I would never ask my parents to pay. I'm pretty sure they'd never expect to pay either

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-20-2007 02:53 PM

Pics of fiancee please.

offTopic 11-20-2007 02:53 PM

WTF the dog should pay! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

mbillie1 11-20-2007 02:54 PM

http://www.celebnewswire.com/pamscares.jpg

Yeti 11-20-2007 02:55 PM

i would expect my parents to offer to pay. i would never ask them to. given your mom offered, i would accept. given your mom offered, your dad now refusing is bizarre.

KilgoreTrout 11-20-2007 02:55 PM

Would you like your old man to tally all the [censored] he had to pay for on your behalf?

Henry17 11-20-2007 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should be who is worse, you or your parents, for arguing over $90 when it comes to family.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't ask a stranger for $90 so obviously I wouldn't ask my parents.

eviljeff 11-20-2007 02:57 PM

THE GLASSES SHALL BE DIVIDED IN TWO AND HALF GIVEN TO EACH

Milo 11-20-2007 02:57 PM

You and your mother are wrong, but so is Pops.

Firstly, you left your glasses out and you know that your parents have dogs. You are responsible for your actions here, so you should never have asked Mom and Dad to pay. Besides, since you waited to get a new pair until you NEEDED a new pair anyway, you have no real "damages" here.

Secondly, your mother should know that she will never raise a responsible citizen by letting you off the hook for something so clearly your fault AND by not busting your chops for even asking, however...

Once Mom foolishly agreed to pay, they are on the hook and Dad is obligated to pay you.

Be a man, pay for the glasses yourself.

/thread.

Bulldog 11-20-2007 03:02 PM

Okay, it looks like I'm a douche. Thanks for setting me straight.

EddieRooo 11-20-2007 03:05 PM

just get your mum to pay ldo

ardubz 11-20-2007 03:12 PM

If you left the glasses within dog reach while just visiting (not looking after anything), would you expect them to pay? Assuming your answer is no, I don't see why house sitting would change anything. You had full control over where you left your glasses.

4_2_it 11-20-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would expect my parents to offer to pay. i would never ask them to. given your mom offered, i would accept. given your mom offered, your dad now refusing is bizarre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really bizarre. 99.9% chance that mom never mentioned anything to dad. I'd never expect my parents to pay this. OP clearly has partial responsibility here since the dogs are familiar to him.

The Owl 11-20-2007 03:27 PM

WTF is going on here. How old is OP?

OP please do not reproduce.

Mendacious 11-20-2007 03:27 PM

You and dog that was responsible should fight to the death! If you win Dad pays for glasses, if you lose...
....problem solved!

mbillie1 11-20-2007 03:28 PM

hay guise the thread's over fwiw

MRBAA 11-20-2007 03:31 PM

I am close with my parents, who are now in thier 80s and also have kids of my own. I think your parents should pay here. You were doing them a favor, you did something reasonable, not nuts, and an accident happened. It's not a big sum, but I'd pay this for one of my kids (or for a friend in the same circumstances). Seems like just basic courtesy to me.

Tony_P 11-20-2007 03:41 PM

mission trip?

drycleaner?

are you korean?

Bicycles_Biatch 11-20-2007 03:42 PM

family is not worth $90... tell your parents to go to hell... burn down their dry-cleaners... kill their dogs... never talk to them again.

XXXNoahXXX 11-20-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

loooooool

MuresanForMVP 11-20-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you like your old man to tally all the [censored] he had to pay for on your behalf?

[/ QUOTE ]

meh I don't really buy this cliche answer at all

Tony_P 11-20-2007 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mission trip?

drycleaner?

are you korean?

[/ QUOTE ]

racist imo

skunkworks 11-20-2007 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mission trip?

drycleaner?

are you korean?

[/ QUOTE ]
lol obv.

Hoya 11-20-2007 04:08 PM

Since you saved them a lot by taking care of the dogs for 2 weeks, they should pay.

silver book 11-20-2007 04:22 PM

If your discussion with your parents was anything like what you made it seem in your post, than the fault for this situation lies with the OP. You never tell people to give you anything, you ask, and even then make it seem like you are not asking for something. You want to get your parents to think that THEY are the ones coming up with the idea to pay for this.

[censored], you could have just been like, " Hmm, it will be tough to see without my glasses, but I don't have that much money right now. I guess I will just have to decide whether to eat or see...."

NLSoldier 11-20-2007 04:28 PM

whoever is less busto should pay. Im guessing that means your parents should pay since you are busto enough to come crying to OOT about 90 bucks.

CheckCheckFold 11-20-2007 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quicksilvre 11-20-2007 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-20-2007 04:33 PM

there is nothing sadder than a Christian Asian.

Perplexity 11-20-2007 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fraserbrown 11-20-2007 04:36 PM

[x] Pics of fiancee, maybe mom if shes's hot.

Your mom already agreed to pay for them so just goto her to get your money.

Bulldog 11-20-2007 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, it looks like I'm a douche. Thanks for setting me straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

/thread

Kimbell175113 11-20-2007 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

loooooool

[/ QUOTE ]
eviljeff has been on a roll recently

bwana devil 11-20-2007 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

youve never met a wannabe American Buddhist?

JuntMonkey 11-20-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Christian Indians?

Wilco666 11-20-2007 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the correct answer in any normal parent-child relationship.

Wilco666 11-20-2007 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored], you could have just been like, " Hmm, it will be tough to see without my glasses, but I don't have that much money right now. I guess I will just have to decide whether to eat or see...."

[/ QUOTE ]
ROFL

ClevelandWasp 11-20-2007 07:36 PM

In the absence of a statutory provision I think the common law one-bite rule applies. Had the dog destroyed any glasses previously?